+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Staff Username Changes in Technical; When a member of staff comes to and asks for their username for the network logon and also their email ...
    Thank Post

Staff Username Changes

When a member of staff comes to and asks for their username for the network logon and also their email to be changed due to getting married or any other reasons, what do you do?

For me I usually tell them that this would be a bad idea as it could cause more problem's than it is worth, also that who ever has your email address now, when they send you mail it will not reach you due to the email address change etc etc...

I'd like to know the views on this from you guys!

D

Thank Post
    I'd change the username and email as requested and add an alias for the old address so it will still work

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Blog Entries
    set up a new email address for them, and set the old one to forward everything automatically. I tell them that they need to let there entire addressbook know the change within 1 month as the old account will be deemed inactive.

4. Thanks to nephilim from:

danrhodes (13th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Done this for staff a few times in the past. Rarely so i always forget how (ITIL knowledge management failure!).

Probably prepare to rename the account they use if they insist. Would begin though by adding the new email address to their existing mailbox account in Exchange a month or so before so that they have both the new and old aimed at them and it gives them time to let non school people know of the change (Exchange Global Address List will automatically deal with those on the school system).

Then i would pick a date they were happy with and change the login username and remove the old email address. The home folder may have the old name but that matters little. Just something to keep in mind.

I used to tell people that it was loads of hassle but that was when i was just feeling lazy to be honest and not really a worthy excuse.

Thank Post
    Simply rename the account if you're using AD, rename home folder and profile not forgetting to do the security permissions. If you're using Exchange then add the new e-mail address and make it the primary, they'll then get all the e-mails including those sent to the old address. If you have an Exchange server then it can all be done there.

Thank Post
    Wait until after the honeymoon

But yeah - alias old email and just agree a time/date with the user when they switch over to new username.

Thank Post
    We usualy just add an email alias for their new name.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,028 Times in 729 Posts
    create a new account with the name change and transfer all the users work over and then give that person at the appropriate time new account details.
    I would suspend the old account and have all users mail transferred to the new account.

The user could then carry on as if nothing had changed apart from their name.

10. Thanks to bossman from:

danrhodes (13th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by achedgy View Post
    I'd change the username and email as requested and add an alias for the old address so it will still work
    +1

Thank Post
    Created a new account, moved old files to the new account.

Forwarded all the email from the old account to the new one, moved mail and folder structure from old account to new account.

She has 1 month to let her external contacts know that she has a new email address before the account expires 1 month from today!

As Gordon Ramsay would say...DONE!!
    D

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by danrhodes View Post
    When a member of staff comes to and asks for their username for the network logon and also their email to be changed due to getting married or any other reasons, what do you do?
    Errm, change them !

In fact I'm just about to rename all of our staff so had to look at what needs changing in order to script it.

Because it's only a logon name change it just means changing

sAMAccountName
    mailNickname
    and
    userPrincipalName

Which can be done by hand via ADUC and/or ADSIedit.

It also means renaming user's homedirs.

For me I usually tell them that this would be a bad idea as it could cause more problem's than it is worth, also that who ever has your email address now, when they send you mail it will not reach you due to the email address change etc etc...
    It should cause no problems, renaming the user and home folder means that security/group membership etc. will still be as it was. If using Exchange (and other email servers, I'd guess) the user can get a new primary SMTP address whilst retaining their old addresses (ours happens by magic from address policy in Exchange) - we have several staff with things like jon.smith, john.smith, jonathan.smith etc..

tim

Thank Post
    We rename the account and add another SMTP address and make it the primary, also rename any folders that are the same as %username% i.e. home drive and other folders like that and leave it at that.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by achedgy View Post
    I do this here as well. Its much easier to rename the account the recreate the new account as the accounts are consolidated for SIMS Learning Gateway.

Alias is also the easiest way to transfer the e-mail - I suppose in a few years time I have to remember that if another member of staff starts with the same name then they can't have the same account... just as well I document it

Thank Post
    Same procedure as above fo me but I wait until their 'SIMS initials' have been updated to cause minimum confusion.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We change there AD logon "Last Name" and "Username" and then i just setup an alias on there current mailbox.

Works a treat.. i do leave there documents folder as it is.. but it woudln't take 2 mins to change that tbh.

James.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast