+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Stop Students compressing their Home area. in Technical; Most of the way through building our nice shiny new Group policies for our new Domain, and I'm in the ...

Thank Post

Stop Students compressing their Home area.

Most of the way through building our nice shiny new Group policies for our new Domain, and I'm in the process of testing the students profile for flaws. So far all the issues I've found I've found a fix to, except this one.

Is there a way to stop the students ticking the 'compress drive to save disk space' option on their home area properties? I can't stop access to the file menu or context menu in explorer because these are used to teach the students to create new folders etc. I've managed to get rid of all the other tabs on the folder properties window except the general one which still has the compress these files/folders option. I'd really like to stop them doing this, some of the brighter ones already do this on our existing system which I'd rather they didn't if it can be prevented.

Anyone found a solution to this?

Many thanks,

Mike.

Thank Post
    Hi

Do the kids have full control of the my docs folder on the server or just modify. If they have full control they can change permissions and even stop you getting in. Sorry thats not entirely correct. They can make it more time consuming for you to get in LOLS.

Richard

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ricki View Post
    Hi

Do the kids have full control of the my docs folder on the server or just modify. If they have full control they can change permissions and even stop you getting in. Sorry thats not entirely correct. They can make it more time consuming for you to get in LOLS.

Richard
    They do have full control, as that's how windows sets the home folders up by default when you let Active Directory create them. This makes little difference as they can't get to the securty tab for any folders, so they can't change permissions and they can still compress the folder with just modify rights anyway, so it doesn't solve the problem.

I'm looking for a registry hack that might remove the compression option from the properties window, or a way of removing access to the properties page for students, or a way of turning off compression on the server if possible. So far I've drawn a blank searching for any of them.

Mike.

Thank Post
    You need to remove "Change/read attributes" permission from them if possible.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCheese View Post
    You need to remove "Change/read attributes" permission from them if possible.
    If you remove the option to read attributes, it denies them access to the folder.

Denying them access to Read extended attributes, and write attributes and extended attributes still allows them to compress the folder.

I'm determind to find a solution to this one, not because I need to so much as I really want to now!

Thank Post
    I just hold user files on a ntfs filesystem with larger than 4KB clusters, compression is not available above 4KB.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    I just hold user files on a ntfs filesystem with larger than 4KB clusters, compression is not available above 4KB.
    Yes, I've just been reading about this - seems the only reasonably easy fix. Was hoping to avoid having to reformat that drive, as I've just sorted out all my permissions, but it'll be easier to do it now than later I suppose.

Mike.

Thank Post
    Forgive the possibly ignorant question, but what is the harm in them compressing their files?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    Forgive the possibly ignorant question, but what is the harm in them compressing their files?
    In theory a lot of compressed files puts more overheads on the server decompressing and compresing them again, and also can cause problems with backups in by experience because of the decompression it can slow it down. Also it gives the kids one less thing to fiddle with.

I've done it now by re-formatting that partition on my storage server which has had the desired result, and the compress these files tick box is no longer available.

Mike.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread