+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Security Cameras in Technical; We are just dipping our toes into Network Security Camera's, specifically for outdoor monitoring. I have read threads on this ...
    Thank Post

Security Cameras

We are just dipping our toes into Network Security Camera's, specifically for outdoor monitoring.

I have read threads on this board about various software and hardware and have a basic idea of whats needed.

I am trying to find out if we have to use a minimum camera std that the police would accept as evidence.

Anyone got any documentation regarding security systems/levels etc?

Thanks

Si

Thank Post
    It might be best to ask the police what their requirements are. I had a knock and run incident with some of our students and they were able to use my CCTV evidence to show the parents what their kids had been up to. Don't forget you will need to put up signs to inform people about the presence of CCTV
    Last edited by JJonas; 2nd July 2009 at 01:58 PM. Reason: left out an apostrophe

Thank Post
    Hi,

Sorry for my earlier comment which has since been deleted due to the trollish nature of it (grumpy morning).

In response to the question "Who actually cares about the correct use of apostrophe's ?" (also since removed): I do, and so do many other people. Apostrophes can change the meaning of a sentence, and when misused are a "mental speed bump" when reading. It's just more pleasant to read a gramatically correct question. Sorry if my original terse response caused offense.

Meanwhile, on the subject of your original question, I refined the search that I originally suggested, and have managed to find what looks to be a promising document which seems to provide reasonably detailed information on what merseyside police would like a cctv system to provide:
    http://www.merseyside.police.uk/Docs/sefton/cctv.pdf
    and north yorkshire police (possibly the same document based on a quick skim)
    http://www.islandautomatics.co.uk/cctv35.doc

If those don't provide you with all the information you need then I would have to agree with JJonas that the police are probably the best people to ask.
    If you don't want to talk to the police (for whatever reason), I have a friend who is working on a CCTV contract at the moment; I could ask him if he knows anything that might help you.

Best of luck sorting this out.

Thank Post
    The document from 2005 is a bit dated -
    on any IBM compatible computer
    made me smile, I haven't heard that term used for many a year

I can link you to newer docs, but it may involve a lot of reading on your part. Have you got any particular concerns?

Thank Post
    No particular concerns at the moment. The front of the school is widely used by local kids to play football in at night. We have had minimal vandalism up until now.

We have just taken delivery of a new wooden playhouse (cost over £6k) and I can see it being used for various activities. But if someone decided to burn it down I would like to think that the police would accept any/all evidence we can provide.

My thoughts are to setup an IP camera system, maybe only 4 - 6 cameras to start all recording to a dedicated server, but with the ability to view the feeds over the web so the caretaker (who lives in the school house next door) can monitor activity from his home pc.

Only started looking into this today so no-where near happy with my knowlege so far

Thank Post

Poundland!!

Hi There,
    I doubt this info will be any use to you but poundland sell dummy cameras for (obviously) £1. They look real, and have a flashing red light on them to make them look like as if they are recording. Check them out!!

Thank Post
    IMO you can tell a dummy camera a mile off.

Thank Post
    axis do some fairly good ip cams and then you can buy the recording software, and a decent pc as a server. IMO though this can work out fairly expensive. You could always try some kind of prebundled kit from the likes of e buyer?

Thank Post
    i know maplin do a 4 camera kit plus hdd recorder

have a look at this Internet Surveillance (IP Cameras) : Maplin Electronics for some inspiration

ST

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pooley View Post
    We are just dipping our toes into Network Security Camera's, specifically for outdoor monitoring.

I have read threads on this board about various software and hardware and have a basic idea of whats needed.

I am trying to find out if we have to use a minimum camera std that the police would accept as evidence.

Anyone got any documentation regarding security systems/levels etc?

Thanks

Si
    The Information Commissionerís Office
    CCTV camera, the Data Protection Act - Organisations - ICO

Schools - CCTV Information
    Obviuously the suppliers these people recommend probably won't be cheap

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lightinthedark View Post
    Hi,

In response to the question "Who actually cares about the correct use of apostrophe's ?" (also since removed):
    I'm sure that the section in quotes is taken directly from another post, but there shouldn't be an apostrophe in "apostrophe's"
    Happy New Year.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uifpUQmrf04"]YouTube- OTB - Apostrophe Debate[/ame]

Thank Post
    This is something our boss want to look out has well, we have setup a few IP panasonic cameras in about 5 rooms (Ict rooms) There not set to record yet they should be really, you can pick them all up the IP address to look at them

Our boss was staying when our old non digital camera break, they are very expensive, and would prefere to replace the whole lot with IP cameras in time.

Would would be the best method of doing this?
    On there on network, with having their own switches in certain areas or of the school they can connect to? Which will mean user fiber to connect the switches together which we dont know how to connect fiber up yet.

Thank Post
    We have two separate CCTV systems.

One is wholly digital covering computer rooms. It uses 16 Axis cameras and a server with Milestone software. I find it really good, very intuitive and flexible.

The other is a 'premises' system which is analogue and has both external and internal cameras some of which are RTZ. It's by Digital Micros. It's cumbersome and getting recordings from it is a long-winded affair. It does have a browser interface but it's 'fragile' and unreliable - it will drop out for no apparent reason.

Of the two I'd much rather have the Milestone IP system. The software handles a wide range of cameras - external and internal. I've not seen any significant impact on network traffic, but I have the frame rate reduced to 2 a second on most of the cameras - it's fine for most needs. Storage is important if you want to keep recordings for any length of time. I had a demo of an new IP camera from Net-Cntrl. The camera is made by Mobotix. It can record a full 360 but then zoom in to any part of that image to pick out any incidents - not cheap, but I hope to squeeze one out of the budget this year.

Don't forget that if you do go down the CCTV route, as has already been mentioned, you must have signs around the site, and in other threads the very important point of the need for a CCTV policy. If you don't have one you could find that any images you submit for evidence in court might be declared in-admissable.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread