+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, UPS auto shutdown in Technical; We've got 1 UNIX and 2 Windows servers that we want to connect a UPS to. The UNIX runs some ...

Thank Post

UPS auto shutdown

We've got 1 UNIX and 2 Windows servers that we want to connect a UPS to. The UNIX runs some software that recommends APC.

For the load we would require a APC Smart-UPS SC 1500VA, this has one serial out and one usb out. How does this shutdown three servers with different OS's?

Has anyone used the PowerChute software?

Thank Post

Re: UPS auto shutdown

You can get a 'ShareUPS' which is a 1u box that turns that 1 serial port into 6 (?). Or stick a SNMP management card in the UPS and use the network version of Powerchute to shut down using IP - this also has the benefit of a temperature sensor and the abilty to add more sensors. The web interface is cool too!!!

The way that the UPS shuts the servers down is to send a signal out to the client software running on the servers. When the client detects the signal, it will shut down after the pre-defined time period.

I would advise you to over-spec your UPS too. Whilst the 1500VA version may be sufficient at the moment, you'll probably find that it won't be if you add another server or some kind of storage devices. The APC web site has a tool that will configure your UPS for you and suggest a couple of options - plus show the run time and how much spare capacity is available.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts

Or if you connect the unix box to the serial and the usb one to a windows server you can then setup powerchute on the windows box to run something like down.exe or another remote shutdown script/program on the second windows box.

I just use the windows ups service instead of the complete powerchute application.

Ben

Thank Post

The UPS I have can be seen at http://apc.com/resource/include/tech...=SURT7500RMXLI plus I have an extended battery to increase the runtime (I have 13 servers on it!).

The manglement card can be seen at http://apc.com/resource/include/tech...619&tab=models and is very useful. The temperature sensor can in especially handy when the carpenters shut the newly sound-proofed door without turning the air con back on!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

remember if your using apcupsd on your *nix box it has the facility to power the machine back up on power restoration. The Powerchute software and/or Windows is unable to do this on it's own.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    remember if your using apcupsd on your *nix box it has the facility to power the machine back up on power restoration. The Powerchute software and/or Windows is unable to do this on it's own.
    Another reason for the manglement card

Thank Post

The APC Smart-UPS SC 1500VA doesnt support manglement cards

We're after a low cost UPS as this is an add on. The main curriculum servers run on a Compaq very large box (does the job - havent a clue how old/model)

After a new UPS for the webserver (*nix) so moodle, email etc doesnt get naffed up by a power cut (we've had 5 this holiday!!! one of which damaged the sql) and a new storage server (w2k3).

Most important thing is the automatic shutting down.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

You can only have one machine per UPS talking to it via a management cable. It depends on which is more important?
    What about having two UPS's? One for each server?

Thank Post

@Geoff: The ShareUPS has one 'advanced' port and 7 'dumb' ports. Only the advanced port can be used to manage the UPS but the shutdown signal is sent to all.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Yes, don't forget to use the right serial cables if you have a ShareUPS! We spent ages wondering why we were getting incorrect readings. As it turns out, you have to use the right cable on the standard ports, "0020B" IIRC.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts

One thing with shutting them down, I use the Windows one built into 2003, does it not shut down correctly if the workstation is logged on and locked? My server didnt shut down, it ran out of juice last time I had a power issue at home, I thought it did, but maybe i am wrong.

Thank Post

Last time I witnessed a power failure on my 2003 server it was logged on and locked and shut down correctly.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts

Thanks for confirming Plexer, I think I may just stop critical things like WSUS, SQL stuff etc and then pull the plug and see what it does when I have time as time is something I haven't got much of at present, lots of work going on etc. just to make sure its still doing as its told.

It may be I need to tell it to shut down sooner as it is now probably about 4x as much running as when I set it up and tested it so its probably not shutting down as quickly hence when its down to 10% capacity left its not long enough, I may wack it up to 25% capacity and see what that does instead, thanks for confirming!

Thank Post

I've just installed the latest stable windows version of apcupsd on one of the servers connected to my new Smart-UPS 5000.

Works very well and easy to install much better than the bloatware APC powerchute offering.

Ben

Thank Post

shutdown /s /f /t 5 /m \\%COMPUTERNAME% /d 6:12 /c "ESX Shutdown: Power Failure"

Thats what I use to force a shutdown no matter who is logged in or if its locked. Windows 2003 *will* stop the shutdown if it pops the question up that other people are logged in.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread