+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Accoustic Server Cabinet in Technical; We're looking at a way of reducing the ridiculous noise levels in the server room/office and we've come to the ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Accoustic Server Cabinet

We're looking at a way of reducing the ridiculous noise levels in the server room/office and we've come to the conclusion that the most cost effective way would be to buy accoustic cabinets with this in mind I was wondering do any of you do this already what did you buy and how many servers can be put in as the thermal load is around 3kw - 3.6kw which I'd have thought is quite low, I know this will depend on the sort of servers used the servers under consideration are IBM 8677 BladeCenter, Dell 1850, Sun x4150??

Any thoughts on this?

Wes

Thank Post
    I'm not surprised you're concerned about the noise levels with an IBM 8677, the blowers on the back of those are hellish loud!

Matt

TNE
    Thank Post
    Hi Wes

We offer a range of quiet server racks which come in two versions. The active version (built in fans)can offer over 7KW heat dissipation.

There is a link to the products in my signature but if you require any further information please let me know.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    have you thought about building a wall around the cab cos then it will make it easier to cool if it's in a small room also

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We did look into this the partition was going to be at least 4k and the Air Con 1k just to start with adding to this the reduction in space for us means that at present it would be impractical to do this sadly.

Wes

Thank Post
    To be honest - your server room should be just that - a room for the servers. No one should be working in there unless they want to go deaf. I've been fitting new equipment recently and it's been brought home to be recently as to the noise in there - going to have to get some good ear protectors in to satisfy H&S.

Can you not partition your server room/office into two?

Butuz

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sadly not the room wouldn't be big enough to be able to accommodate us and the servers. I have asked for the servers to be relocated to a smaller room but there is nothing available.

Wes

Thank Post
    Hmm it's 80+DB constant in my server room - if anyone argued that I should be using it as an office I'd lock them in there for a few hours and I'd be pretty confident they'd sign off a new room (once their ears stopped ringing/bleeding)

Luckily didn't have to go that far!

Butuz

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have to work in a server room, (switches, servers etc) and it's so noisey it's so nice to walk around the building for a bit! it is nice and cold though in the summer

We have less servers now then what we did 1yr ok because we have Virtualised most things, but i still have a beast of a blade center to deal with and Xtreme Switches which are just as loud as the blade center lol.

Oh the joy!

Thank Post
    Pardon?

Butuz

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    sorry what did you say? seem to be going deaf as well as stupid! anychance you can do what this emoticon does.

I must admit though, i do result in listening to my iPod all day instead of the racket they make. just means i dont hear the door lol
    Last edited by EduTech; 22nd June 2009 at 07:04 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wesleyw View Post
    We're looking at a way of reducing the ridiculous noise levels in the server room/office and we've come to the conclusion that the most cost effective way would be to buy accoustic cabinets with this in mind I was wondering do any of you do this already what did you buy and how many servers can be put in as the thermal load is around 3kw - 3.6kw which I'd have thought is quite low, I know this will depend on the sort of servers used the servers under consideration are IBM 8677 BladeCenter, Dell 1850, Sun x4150??

Any thoughts on this?

Wes
    bladecenter H comes in a form factor called the 'office enablement kit' it's got big baffles on the back to reduce noise levels, and is designed to sit in an office under a big desk, so its got wheels. Even includes a a tft drawer so pitched as a small biz server room in a box... not sure how suitable it is for you as you should have existing infrastructure. it's not rackmountable for starters.

have a look instead at the 1u ibm xseries servers. Has the Dell 1850 been updated with the new intel processors ? Frankly, short of leaving them switched off your not going to be able to make a great deal of difference to noise levels if you can't build another room when you reach a certain number of servers and ups and other stuff that has fans whirring away.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    If you are being expected to work in Server Rooms you should have a Health and Safety check on Sound Levels, anything above a certain level for a set period of time (runs in my mind around 65db for more than 5 minutes solid will cause various rules to be kicking in. Now they would just have to give you ear protection to drown it out, which is better, but then you can argue you cannot hear the door etc so they will then deal with that and in the end move you but it is very serious stuff.

Thank Post
    I'm not an expert, but I believe from theatre that HSE's legal exposure limit is something like 80db daily or weekly average, and most server rooms will exceed that.

Thank Post

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast