+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, BackupExec options in Technical; I am looking into the possibility of getting BackupExec here, but a little confused as to what I need to ...

Thank Post

BackupExec options

I am looking into the possibility of getting BackupExec here, but a little confused as to what I need to buy?

Primarily, I want it to backup my File Server (Home Drives, Shared Areas, etc) but if I want it to backup SQL Server 2005, Exchange 2007 and maybe Sharepoint and AD - do i need to buy the extra agents/options packs?

Also what would be the estimated cost?

Thank Post
    Yes, there is an agent for each one and is considered "per server"

So you would need one for sharepoint (whichever variety you use), one for your fileserver (comes with the main package if your just backing up files/folders - but I assume you'd need to install the main package on your fileserver), one for SQL, one for Exchange and one for AD (per domain controller)

If you're using a SAN you'll probably need the shared storage option

Think we paid £350 for each one including 12 months maintenance/support (V12.5)

3. Thanks to Oops_my_bad from:

Gatt (17th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Hmm.. so for FS, SQL and Exch - thats what? £1050? or £1400 for AD as well...
    Running the trial version of 12.5 on our FS now - seems to be coping with a Network HDD drive ok.

Thank Post
    Gatt,

use backup exec system recovery first of all, it's the beefed up version of Norton ghost, and takes 10 minutes to restore a totally knackered server to back and working. We use that for all 36 of the servers here, along with backup exec to backup both FULL backups on weekends, and incremental every other day which are backed up like following;

Previous 7 days are stored on external hard disk for quick restores, previous 40 weekend FULL backups are on tapes, and 4 sets of 7 tapes for weekly incremental backups, so we would restore from the full tape, then incremental to Wednesday using the weekly tapes.

Not sure if that made sense.

It is a per server basis, most simple way would be use backup exec for FS, SQL and Exchange and just Backup exec recovery for AD and DOM controller, what would be the point of backing up individual files on a AD Domain controller? it rarely changes in any major way, so exec recovery is a cheaper option and offers the ability to restore rickety tick in the event of system downtime.

£1,226.97 for the 3 copies of backup exec and £300.99 for exec recovery for the AD server grand total £1,527.96.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by deceptivex; 18th June 2009 at 08:22 AM.

6. Thanks to deceptivex from:

Gatt (18th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks deceptivex, I'll put this forward to SMT and see what they say

Thank Post
    Don't worry about it, the method I proposed is a fairly PARANOID method but that's because of our clients and the fact we have a dozen servers just building software and whatnot, but it's effective and works really well. You could make do with an external disk for each really and a couple spare. Believe me, here we back up, the backups of the original backup, that's how bad it's got, I'm sifting through 200 tapes today because I missed a week way back when so the entire schedule is off haha. The joys.

Thank Post
    lol, we have a 2TB Network Hard Drive that I am currently palying with - though its really slow to copy files
    It does have a USB lead - but I need a cable with the standard (A?) connectors on both ends - as in not a printer USB Cable

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    lol, we have a 2TB Network Hard Drive that I am currently palying with - though its really slow to copy files
    It does have a USB lead - but I need a cable with the standard (A?) connectors on both ends - as in not a printer USB Cable
    Backing it up over the network is a nightmare. Depending on the size of the data your backing up, buy some standard USB disks from somewhere and just backup each server to its own, then maybe overnight when the place is closed, set a scheduled task to run a batch file, copying the contents of the USB disks to the 2TB NAS? that way it avoids strain on the network and servers, doing copying whilst in use. To put into perspective why you shouldn't back up over the network first, the biggest debt company in britain backs up onto SAN and it tales 37 hours to back up every day, so we had to cut the jobs into a dozen or so smaller ones to actually be able to have enough time in the day to complete it. A nightmare.

Either way, it starts getting expensive when you factor in data redundancy methods.

Could just say **** it, you delete your spreadsheet, your loss, you will learn next time not to just click willy nilly ...

Also, how the hell can Microsoft justify 900 quid for Project Professional, you could get a bloody server for that much.
    Last edited by deceptivex; 18th June 2009 at 08:44 AM.

Thank Post
    Hi Gatt

WStore is a preferred Symantec partner and can beat most pricing on all things Symantec so if you are after any pricing or advice then please get in touch.

Many thanks

Thank Post
    @WStore_Dan - cheers mate will keep you in mind if we decide to go with it

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    @WStore_Dan - cheers mate will keep you in mind if we decide to go with it
    If you want to make backup faster to external disks then consider using eSATA rather than USB. This will make a hell of different in backup times.

Ash.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread