+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Backing up MSDE (WMSDE for WSS) database with BackupExec in Technical; Hi, I'll be implementing a WSS server with a view to this becoming a central repository for school resources. My ...
    Thank Post

Backing up MSDE (WMSDE for WSS) database with BackupExec

Hi,

I'll be implementing a WSS server with a view to this becoming a central repository for school resources. My interim backup solution will be to backup the WMSDE database to file with stsadm to a folder on the same server, then backup this file to tape.

Backing up to file is fine while the database is still relatively small, but when the database grows to tens of gigabytes, this becomes less feasible as it will mean having to reserve at least half of the server's capacity for the backup copy of th DB.

So I guess my question is: will BackupExec backup a live WMSDE database to tape, or will that require the SQL agent?

cheers
    Mike

Thank Post

Re: Backing up MSDE (WMSDE for WSS) database with BackupExec

You need the agent to do live backup... that's what you pay for. If you are planning on using sharepoint (I assume that's what you mean by WSS) for anything serious, you should really use SQL. The Enterprise Manager can then be used to schedule a backup to file which can be dumped to tape as you do your backups.

IIRC SQL Server 2005 Express should do the job if basic functionality is all you are after. I think that the connection limits are similar to MSDE. It's free so you can always download it and give it a bash It has a shiny interface too

Thank Post

Thanks for the info. Someone at Symantec told me that I wouldn't need the SQL agent to backup MSDE, I'd only need it for full SQL. I thought that sounded a bit suspect.

I don't think SQL express will be suitable because it imposes the database and concurrent connections limits, whereas WMSDE does not.

cheers
    Mike

Thank Post

SQL Express has no govenor on the speed and the database can be up to 4GB in size.

As for the concurrent connection limit, IIRC it is 10-15 users but since only the sharepoint user will be connecting this should not be a problem.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_
    SQL Express has no govenor on the speed and the database can be up to 4GB in size.
    I can see us easily exceeding that 4GB threshold taking document libraries into account.

Thank Post

@meastaugh1: Doesn't sharepoint store links to the documents rather than the actual documents? I've never looked into this but it is a more efficient way of doing things.

Thank Post

I'm sure it stores it in the SQL database. I imagine there is a good reason for this: the full text searching is probably one of them. But then I don't really know anything about SQL.

While on the subject, a few asides that might be of interest:[*]You can use a 3rd party web part to access a flat folder through sharepoint, such as this. [*]Also, you can access document libraries via UNC, which I think depends upon the WebClient service. Although I haven't really had time to play with this. This wouldn't really be suitable for backup though, as I believe you can only map to doc libs, and not whole sites.[*]And... there's MS IT's Recycle Bin ISAPI filter which spits out any deleted files from document libraries into a flat folder structure.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

According to my contact at Ramesys, it stores everything in the SQL database.

Thank Post

I've got batch file I was given by our LEA SIMS support team at work for backing up our SIMS SQL database by zipping it up to an archive directory, which I then write out to tape nightly using Windows Backup without any special SQL agents. I think it uses one of the backup utilities as part of SIMS (but it's likely you can copy the utility onto another server and use it). I'll dig it out on Monday and post the code here for you.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by nsherin
    I've got batch file I was given by our LEA SIMS support team at work for backing up our SIMS SQL database by zipping it up to an archive directory, which I then write out to tape nightly using Windows Backup without any special SQL agents. I think it uses one of the backup utilities as part of SIMS (but it's likely you can copy the utility onto another server and use it). I'll dig it out on Monday and post the code here for you.
    Hi, thanks for your suggestion. I believe you're talking about the dbattach command. Sharepoint has similar command lines for performing backup-to-file routines, which can then be backed up to tape. But as outlined in my original posting, this isn't going to be scalable. Whilst ok in the short term, going by Ric's suggestion, I'm going to need to upgrade to SQL and/or use the BackupExec SQL agent when the database starts to grow significantly.

Thank Post

It is indeed the dbattach command. But as you say (I must learn to read ), you'll soon hit the limitations you mention.

Thank Post

So far the thread has only been considering the disater recovry situation of backup and recvoery for the whole database. The SharePoint specific backup soltuions from the major vendors also do granular (i.e. single filel) recovery. This artilce pdf from Windows ITPro looks at some of the options availible.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ITWombat
    So far the thread has only been considering the disater recovry situation of backup and recvoery for the whole database. The SharePoint specific backup soltuions from the major vendors also do granular (i.e. single filel) recovery. This artilce pdf from Windows ITPro looks at some of the options availible.
    Hi,
    I'm hoping that using file versioning and the ISAPI recycle bin will suffice for individual file protection/restore. If/when we move to SPS with users storing their data in my site as opposed to home dirs, then I guess I'd need the SPS agent for BackupExec.

Thank Post

:banghead: Damn WSS not SPS. Oh well hopefully someone else will find the link useful ops:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread