+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Esaftey training from CEOPS in Technical; Hi Everyone, Iv taken on the role of E-Safety within school, and i`m currently waiting for a CEOPS training event ...

Thank Post

Esaftey training from CEOPS

Hi Everyone,

Iv taken on the role of E-Safety within school, and i`m currently waiting for a CEOPS training event within the midlands area. Iv looked round the website and there are loads of resources, scripts presentations and loads of stuff. I have a bit of a fear of this though, Iv never trained before and in the past I have got incredibly nervous (You know the usual rambling on, sweating, shaking, I get the works)

Its not like i`m talking about a subject I dont know either, I have had an interest in Computer, Network, and internet security for a while and this seemed a good extension of that and to further my career within school. I wanted to ask people who currently undertake that training how they deliver the training and what type of forum it is? I want to make it as user friendly as poss because obviously many of the audiance are as IT savvy as me, any tips on dumbing down the techy jargon???

Thank Post
    My experience of the CEOP material is that it is fairly non-technical to begin with. I use their stuff having done the ambassador course.

In our school I do an event for Year 7 parents and we have also adapted some CEOP materials for use in Citizenship lessons. What I find interesting when I work with the students how in to all the new technologies they are but how little understanding of the dangers they have.

The parents evening is mainly a series of short talks/videos by me, police and NSPCC followed by a discussion session. The student one is more directed using the videos and notes that CEOP provide with some adaptations to take into account the amount of time we have to discuss things.

Thank Post
    This was one of my concerns over time, I just downloaded one of the video's, how do you cover everything because there are things like viruses, hackers as well, or do you not touch on that? am I getting a bit too deep when all it has to be is regarding social networking and dont chat to people you dont know.

Thank Post
    We've done the Thinkuknow - home training with the Year 7s, which seems to work well. Haven't done anything with parents that I know of.

Thank Post
    Its pretty easy to deliver the session once you have been on the course. It is practically all scripted which follows the powerpoint if you were to do it the CEOP way.

I tended to use some of the CEOP info as well as some info I put together on my own powepoint when I delivered it to parents here.

Thank Post
    I've got to deliver this as well - esafety training I mean - next Monday I've been finding it difficult to get a mix of shocking (to make the teachers think what they are doing) and practical (i.e. give them ways to protect themselves from e.g. identity theft). One way I thought of is to mock up a facebook page and let them in groups put on what information they think would be OK to put on, then show them a video of a girl who was stalked through facebook and then let them reconsider what they deemed suitable....what do you think? I've got 30 minutes training to do on esafety/data protection/safeguarding.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by f21970 View Post
    I've got to deliver this as well - esafety training I mean - next Monday I've been finding it difficult to get a mix of shocking (to make the teachers think what they are doing) and practical (i.e. give them ways to protect themselves from e.g. identity theft). One way I thought of is to mock up a facebook page and let them in groups put on what information they think would be OK to put on, then show them a video of a girl who was stalked through facebook and then let them reconsider what they deemed suitable....what do you think? I've got 30 minutes training to do on esafety/data protection/safeguarding.
    We did a session once where we just trawled Bebo/My Space/ Facebook to see what info we could gather on folks at our school. There was quite a lot of suprise in the room when we detailed how much we now knew about them.

8. Thanks to jcollings from:

f21970 (10th June 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread