+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Link Station in Technical; I have a Bufalo Link Station which sits in a Workgroup. Whilst this is accessible from the network I'm thinking ...
    Thank Post

Link Station

I have a Bufalo Link Station which sits in a Workgroup. Whilst this is accessible from the network I'm thinking that it should, more correctly, sit on the domain. Trouble is I have no idea how to "move" it onto the domain. Could someone give me some idea please?

On a similar vein, a recently installed HP network printer also insists on being in the Workgroup. All the earlier network printers were installed in the domain, but this one didn't. I have accessed it through the web interface, but the dialogue states that the domain cannot be changed. Any ideas?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    What linkstation is it? Only some of them will join the Domain fully, such as the Linkstation Pro

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    What linkstation is it? Only some of them will join the Domain fully, such as the Linkstation Pro
    Ah, hadn't realised that. It's a LinkStation Pro Duo - LS-WTGL/R1

Thank Post
    Okai, that will join as its the one I have here (well similar), go to its web interface, sign in, go to Network, then go to Workgroup/Domain and join away, you need to pre-make its AD account but then it should join and populate with the users, and allow you to use the domain with it.

5. Thanks to john from:

leco (6th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks, now all I have to remember is how to access the web interface That's a job for Monday.

Thank Post
    IP address of it and obviously username and password, default was admin for the username and password for the password

You can use NAS Naviagtor (free download from Buffalo) for it to find them on the LAN to help out if i cannot remember its IP and stuff

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    IP address of it and obviously username and password, default was admin for the username and password for the password

You can use NAS Naviagtor (free download from Buffalo) for it to find them on the LAN to help out if i cannot remember its IP and stuff
    There lies the rub, can't remember if I changed the defaults Will have a go with the above - I'll soon find out if I did or not! Thanks.

Am I right in thinking that if I get it onto the domain the USB drives, attached to it, are also available to the network (access restrictions not withstanding)? I want to be able to store disk images on them.

Thank Post
    To the USB drives point I have no idea as I don't use any with mine sorry.

Thank Post

Join domain

OK have found the web interface, logged in. Found the Network tab and the relevant page. Now I must be doing something wrong as I keep getting an error - images attached.

What exactly do I need to put in each of the boxes? I have tried a number of formats for domain names etc and none seem to work. Or it might be that the account I have set in AD is wrong - I have created a computer - is that right?
    Last edited by leco; 8th June 2009 at 11:43 AM. Reason: transposition of letters

Thank Post
    I would, but haven't tried with mine, but fill the boxes in exactly as they are on your domain, so NETBIOS name is your shorter name EG YOURDOMAIN, the full relm will be YOURDOMAIN.LOCAL, Domain Controller will be DC-01.YOURDOMAIN.LOCAL, admin username and password are as it says.

Thats what I would put in, its worth doing a search on here for Terrastores / Terrastations by Buffalo as these are the bigger brothers and have a similar system and unfortunatly have had a few problems with AD.

12. Thanks to john from:

leco (8th June 2009)

Thank Post
    I spent ages getting that error message too. The settings on our LS Pro are:
    NetBIOS Name = domain_name
    DNS/Realm Name = domain_name.internal
    AD Domain Controller Name = server_name

I can't remember which username I gave when connecting; most likely administrator but it might be worth trying any other administrative users which you have.

As for your question about attached USB drives, these are also visible across the network. IIRC, the disk is automatically added as a new shared called \\linkstation_name\usbdisk1. For some reason, I couldn't connect once I renamed the share, but it works fine with the default name.

14. Thanks to enjay from:

leco (8th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks guys, will try that. I did look through some of the threads about Terrastations, didn't fill me with confidence about them either Ah well yet another task on my list of things to sort.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by leco View Post
    I did look through some of the threads about Terrastations, didn't fill me with confidence about them either
    We've not had any real bother from our LinkStation once it was set up, although there must be some reason they cost half as much as a TeraStation...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread