+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Synching/Backup Staff USB drives in Technical; It seems that USB pendrives are a little tricky for some of the staff to use at my school so ...
    Thank Post

Synching/Backup Staff USB drives

It seems that USB pendrives are a little tricky for some of the staff to use at my school so I'm wondering if anyone came up with or has a suggested approach to synchronising or just backing up their drives every time they plug them in.

They'd be using them from their Win2k3 roaming profile so they will already have a home drive and be logged in on a WinXp machine.

Just want to be able to backup their data so that they don't fubar it every few weeks and have nothing left, leaving me to explain yet again about ejecting procedures.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,449 Posts

Re: Synching/Backup Staff USB drives

Dunno but what you would need is some app or script that can detect when a usb drive is plugged in and then just do and xcopy or robocopy to a folder in the homefolder.

I had started thinking about this because we have some students likely to start using pendrives and I wanted an app or script that when they are plugged in can search the thing and delete any exe's, mp3 etc... that they may store on them.

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Could try the Microsoft SyncToy

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,063 Times in 754 Posts

Could be a lot of hard work ahead especially if you sync the whole usb pendrive. If you sync the whole drive and lets say for instance they take it home and whack a great load of photos and such taking the size to 40 - 60Mb
    and there are a few of them doing this all at once well you can imagine what will happen on the network if they are to sync with their documents folder on the server?
    I heard the story of the teachers having sync enabled on their laptops at a school near me what they didn't specify was a folder to sync with and they didn't put limitations on so when these laptops connected to the network one monday morning the whole school network crashed because of the load so be warned of the implications. but i suppose you have already looked into this so forgive me if you have just didn't want you to go down that road OK

Thank Post

sorry for taking over the post but instead of syncronising the usb drives why not instruct the teachers/ members of staff on how to use the pendrives correctly.

Thank Post

why not instruct the teachers/ members of staff on how to use the pendrives correctly.
    I nearly fell off my chair when I read that

I don't know abotu killing your network when syncing a load of these any more so than teachers syncing their home folders from their laptops.

I have one member or staff who had a couple of gig synced and another with more than that with no problems.

I suppose you could look at the file types you want them to sync but then photos are probably more important than documents a document they could retype but if it's the only copy of the photo then thats lost forever.

Ben

Thank Post

Plexer
    pleased something made you laugh
    This really happened to a school near us with the laptops so you can understand why i would just instruct the teachers how to use the usb drives.
    Give teachers something just anything and guaranteed they will screw it up cos they know in their own minds that they can relie on the techies to sort it so my ploy is don't give them too much unless they can demonstrate their ability to use in a proper manner. Plus it wasn't just a couple of Gig it was 200 laptops with the complete C: drives syncronised. LEA was to blame as they set up the wireless config.

Thank Post

I guessed it was probably the whole laptop and that's just criminal

Ben

Thank Post

Appreciate the input folks and I take your points well... As it goes this is a small primary school we're referring to and pen drives with only 256 or 512mb of space so it'd just be something that they wouldn't even know about but it would allow me to pull a rabbit out of the hat when they lose their work.

Know what you mean about teaching them to use the stuff but my remit is tech support offsite so I'm rarely around onsite and it's very difficult to get anything to stick in their craws... Still n'all I'm just thinking belt and braces.

Thank Post

@contink: Here's the thing. If they lose their USB drive, then their data is GONE unless they are backing it up. In my view, they should consider the USB drive a transport mechanism only, just like a big floppy disk. Use it to take data to/from home/work but master copies should be on a stable, backed-up system. Maybe you need to give them a small guidebook on the best way to use the things, followed up with a little bit of on-site training. It's also not a good idea to work on files directly on USB membory as the things have a finite number of read/write cycles!

Thank Post

If you have to do it though, I reccomend SyncBack. It's got a great GUI and can be fully scripted.

Thank Post

Hi,

You may want to check out the Allway Sync, its free version is perfectly adequte for synchornising My documents etc.

http://allwaysync.com/

Ash.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ajbritton
    If you have to do it though, I reccomend SyncBack. It's got a great GUI and can be fully scripted.
    Thanks for the suggestion and I know you're all thinking I'm making a rod for my back here but it's one of those things where I know that the teachers are still using bad practice and risking their data, so until I can organise the necessary time and budget for a proper training session on this and other things it's a useful belt and braces approach.

Of course I'm not going to TELL them a backup exists, just let them panic, run around praying for a miracle and then I give the lecture of their lives, send them off to read the guidelines on how to use pendrives and THEN by some miracle I find a spare copy of their work a la "wonder how that got there - damn aren't you lucky!"

After all, nothing is more effective than a near miss

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by contink
    After all, nothing is more effective than a near miss
    Except possibly a complete miss!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread