+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Helpdesk Call Monitor or something alike in Technical; Hi, We will be rolling out an SLA soon for the school as well as making sure every member of ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Helpdesk Call Monitor or something alike

Hi,

We will be rolling out an SLA soon for the school as well as making sure every member of staff logs any calls/requests on the helpdesk.

As you all know, sometimes it gets rather busy and to make sure someone is always looking at the helpdesk software it is pretty unlikely unless we have someone who sits there all day looking at the helpdesk.

So, We have 2 Offices and the team are in both through-out the day, i am going to put a monitor in both rooms in which i want to display a piece of software or a spreadsheet that will do the following:

When a call is logged on the helpdesk it will flag up on the screen to alert us on screen so we know instantly when something needs sorting.

I know this can be done using Excel, you bring in information from the MYSQL Tables into there to display the required information.

What would be the best way of doing this? i know it is pretty straight forward and won’t take someone who has the skills to make this work.

It would need to be able to do this procedure automatically so we don’t have to interfere with it, the only time we go on the helpdesk is to 1) close/update the call 2) view more information

on the spreadsheet/app i would like there to be the important information, and for it to be in some kind of color co-ordination i.e. NEW CALL: GREEN --- 30 Minutes old: AMBER --- Over 1hr: RED > or something along those lines.

I hope that makes sense If this is something that is a bit difficult does anyone have any time to spare to help me out?

And as for the software we are using it is - GLPI and the database runs on MYSQL

Thanks for your time

James.
    Last edited by EduTech; 18th May 2009 at 09:06 PM.

Thank Post
    Why don't you use something like MyLittleHelpdesk and set it to refresh the call page every few minutes? Then using the SLA setup I'm sure you can identify the tickets which meet certain requirements. I've not messed with the latest version but I'm sure somebody else will be able to confirm whether or not this is achievable.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Why don't you use something like MyLittleHelpdesk and set it to refresh the call page every few minutes? Then using the SLA setup I'm sure you can identify the tickets which meet certain requirements. I've not messed with the latest version but I'm sure somebody else will be able to confirm whether or not this is achievable.
    Yeah i would like to use MLH, i will probably speak to my boss and see if he wants to change to that.

I dont mind what we are using, we could do exactly what your saying now just put the page on screen to refresh. i just think having what i have said would be easier. just takes time lol

Y'know what i am like dan, do everything back to front lol

Thank Post
    If I understand your request fully, your request is included in our current functionality within Web Help Desk. Help Desk Software by Web Help Desk

To double check, I invite you to login as a Technician (username: admin password: admin) on our online demo at Web Help Desk

Then go to the last tab and follow this path: Preferences->Tickets->Priority Types & Alerts

You will see a list of Ticket Priorities...these are example priorities. You can create as many Priorities as you would like (and link then as default priorities based on Problem Types!)

Click on "Urgent".

You will see 3 different "Alert Levels". This is where you will set up your auto-escalation path...and this one is just for URGENT tickets. You may want to setup a less stringent escalation path for Medium and Low priority tickets.

Here is an example for URGENT tickets. An example might be that URGENT tickets must be completed in 2 hours. Here is what I would recommend configuring on that screen:

Alert Level 1
    Not Assigned - 10 Business Minutes - E-Mail Grp Mgr (this means that if this ticket somehow escaped your auto-assignment logic, the group manager will be alerted that it didn't get assigned in 10 minutes)
    Not Updated - 30 Business Minutes - E-Mail Tech (this means that if a Tech doesn't update the ticket or acknowledge the ticket within 30 minutes, the Tech will get emailed as a reminder)
    Not Completed - 1 Business Hour - Email Tech (this means that if the ticket has not been completed within 1 hour, an email reminder will be sent to the Tech)

Alert Level 2
    Not Assigned - 15 Business Minutes - E-Mail Grp Mgr (this means that if this ticket STILL somehow escaped your auto-assignment logic, the group manager will be alerted again with a Level 2 message that it didn't get assigned in 15 minutes)
    Not Updated - 45 Business Minutes - E-Mail Tech (this means that if a Tech STILL doesn't update the ticket or acknowledge the ticket within 45 minutes, the Tech will get Level 2 emailed as a reminder)
    Not Completed - 100 Business Minutes- Email Tech AND his Supervisor (this means that if the ticket has STILL not been completed within about an hour and a half, a Level 2 email reminder will be sent to the Tech AND his Supervisor)

Alert Level 3
    Not Assigned - 20 Business Minutes - E-Mail Grp Mgr (this means that if this ticket STILL somehow escaped your auto-assignment logic, the group manager will be alerted that it didn't get assigned in 20 minutes)
    Not Updated - 100 Business Minutes - E-Mail Tech AND Supervisor (this means that if a Tech STILL doesn't update the ticket or acknowledge the ticket within 100 minutes, the Tech AND his Supervisor will get emailed a Level 3 notice)
    Not Completed - 2 Business Hour - Email Tech AND Supervisor AND Group Manager (this means that if the ticket has not been completed within the 2 hour SLA, a Level 3 Alert will be emailed to the Tech AND his Supervisor AND his Group Manager)

The application will also provide visual, color coded queues in the Ticket list view and in "My Tickets". You can also sort tickets by Alert Level.

Also, you can report based on alert level and priority. Click on the "Reports" tab in the online demo and click on the "play button" for the report called "Alert Level Report" for one style of report based on these items.

Do let me know if this helps.

More EduGeek-related Info @ this post: Free Help Desk Software for EDU

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,650 Times in 1,471 Posts
    MLH has a little application called WinApp which polls the helpdesk and alerts you to new calls.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    MLH has a little application called WinApp which polls the helpdesk and alerts you to new calls.

Ben
    I'd love to find out more but...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I be honest with you, i would like to use MLH but they wont pay for software when we have something that is free and does the job.

James.

Thank Post
    Well all I can say is that is miscategorised.

On-demand Help desk, Customer Support & Service SaaS from OP Software - My Little Helpdesk WinApp does that work or does it give you the same thing?

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    I be honest with you, i would like to use MLH but they wont pay for software when we have something that is free and does the job.

James.
    Doesn't flash up nicely on screen though does it?!

I think unless somebody is willing to code this then the best best would be to refresh the calls page every now and again. For the amount of time it takes to read a screen on the wall you could just sit at your desk and refresh the helpdesk.

Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Well all I can say is that is miscategorised.

On-demand Help desk, Customer Support & Service SaaS from OP Software - My Little Helpdesk WinApp does that work or does it give you the same thing?

Ben
    Just that page. I'll log it with Synetrix later if it doesn't reclassify itself in the meantime.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Doesn't flash up nicely on screen though does it?!

I think unless somebody is willing to code this then the best best would be to refresh the calls page every now and again. For the amount of time it takes to read a screen on the wall you could just sit at your desk and refresh the helpdesk.

Just that page. I'll log it with Synetrix later if it doesn't reclassify itself in the meantime.
    Yeah i know i would like to change but unfortnatly that is not an option, my nm wont budge

So yeah like the OP can anyone point me in the right direction so i can do this?

Many Thanks

James.

Thank Post
    Can you not set your help desk to send an email for each new request?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,407 Times in 1,166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post

James.
    It's so cheap, just buy it yourself and host it yourself, then you've only got to pay like £100 or something for annual maintenance. You can save that by haggling on your next big order.

Plus if there's changes that need making, i'm sure if they are useful, Ozzie will program it for you.

I've ordered it, but am just waiting for the man that holds the purse strings to fill out the purchase order and send it off.

Thank Post
    Yes I'm sure a colour coded call minder type info screen could be coded by Oz no problem.

However if they really don't want to pay for anything else you're a bit stumped.

£125 would be a bit much for someone to buy themself personally for school I would have thought.

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yeah i was going to buy MLH out of my own pocket, but they wont change systems it has taken them so long to pick up GLPI and that is just as easy. unfortunatly our staff dont like change, i did not implement this system otherwise i would of brought MLH then.

If it is going to be a few hours work then if someone knows how to do it so it works with GLPI then let me know and i will pay for your time, as at the end of the day it is going to benifit me / the team in the long run. and who knows someone else out there using GPLI might like the extra add-on

I noticed you can import data into Excel using mysql ODBC Connector so maybe that would be the way just witha few tweaks for the colours etc??

James,

Thank Post
    Hi All,

As some of you may know plexer is one of my BETA testers and he has just brought this to my attention, it is our intention to have a colour coded call board with him to test by this weekend.

It will be a simple display screen that can be used to project up onto a wall ir displayed on a monitor that will be colour coded as suggested by the OP.

It will not require authentication nor will it do anything other than display the current call load with a few other stats possibly.

Those of you that are already using MLH then you will get this at the end of may with the next release.

Any questions do ask
    Last edited by ICTNUT; 19th May 2009 at 04:50 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast