+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Digitising 35mm slides in bulk in Technical; My Dad was a keen photographer, but always insisted on getting the 35mm film developed as slides. He passed away ...

Thank Post

Digitising 35mm slides in bulk

My Dad was a keen photographer, but always insisted on getting the 35mm film developed as slides. He passed away a couple of years ago, leaving my mother with about 5000 slides. She's happy using a PC for basic applications and would love to be able to view the slides on her computer. Do you know of a method (or service) for getting the images from the slides into a digital format?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 1,448 Posts

3. Thanks to plexer from:

JonP (11th May 2009)

Thank Post
    Or you can get a scanner which does it for not too much money, I know we used to sell them in PC world. MMM not sure how long it would take though thats an awful lot of slides!!

Epson certainly make them, ill have a look when i get a second

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 1,448 Posts

6. Thanks to plexer from:

JonP (11th May 2009)

Thank Post
    I've sanned in slides on a home scanner. Took a long time to scan and the filesize was large, but the quality was good(or good enough) This was going back a few years and not with 5000 slides, but if you have someone who is wiling to go through them to scan them it's an option.

Might be worth going down the route of checking your local photography shops out to see if they will stick them onto a CD for you? Dont know if they do it, but it would probably be a lot easier.

Thank Post
    I had the same problem a few months ago with my father in laws slides, I eventually bought a good slide scanner and did them myself. Only had about 3-400 to do though. Does not take long doing them in batches. Had them printed in a book form by Jessops and it made a fantastic present for my wife. I used the Minolta Dimage Scan IV, which is now sitting spare after doing them all if you are interested on a deal. Has slide and negative scanner adaptors, but only works in XP.

Thank Post
    I bought a Nikon Coolscan a few years back to do some here. It is brilliant, but... It takes a looong time. The process is fairly slow, but doesn't allow enough time to do anything else. The default save type is RAW, so the files are huge, this can be changed to jpeg with varying qualities.

In fact the internet has moved on so much (History of Art images mainly) that we have abandoned the collection, and teachers just look up images as they go now.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,618 Posts
    We've gor exactly the same problem... the slides have been sat in a cupboard for the 6 years since Dad died

The service quoted in the second post is 30p a slide... i.e. £1500 for 5000!

I think it will be cheaper buy a scanner and pay teenage son to do it for me

Thank Post
    Get a tripod and a digital camera and take a picture of the projected display. The quality won't be brilliant but it might be sufficient. The really special slides could be done on a scanner. There's a certain amount of trial and error getting the tripod and camera position right.

Thank Post
    Yeah - I've just agreed to do this for my Dad - alas he took 2 1/4 inch slides - and I can't find an automated scanner anywhere for those - so will have to do them on my Epson by hand - even more irritating is that they are mounted in plastic and glass frames - so will probably have to be dismounted before scanning - reckon it will take many evenings next winter....*sigh*

Thank Post
    My dad used to use a Minolta Dimage Scan dedicated film scanner - could scan 5 slides at a time and the quality was excellent. They were expensive back then but I think you can get them quite cheap now.

Butuz

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread