+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Supporting Primary schools in Technical; Hi, Not sure if this is the correct forum but couldnt find a one that fit. I have been asked ...
    coquet636

Supporting Primary schools

Hi, Not sure if this is the correct forum but couldnt find a one that fit.

I have been asked to write up a support contract for our feeder schools to provide them with "part-time" support and i wondered if any other schools have this in place already.

The schools involve already recieve it from county but feel there not gettign value for money so as we have helped them out in times of emergency and find us easier to work with.

I am currently writing the things we will cover i.e. hardware/software fault finding, installation and the like. Telephone support and emergency cover.

Is there things i should put in.....

Any advice will help...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    Are you taking on extra staff to do this?

They can expect you to provide them with support better than what they are currently paying for without more people being employed.

Our feeder schools employ a technician between them.

Ben

3. Thanks to plexer from:

Thank Post
    This is something we do...

We have an extra member of staff to cover the visits, all once a fortnight & they spend the rest of the time working in our school.

We look after everything apart from the admin network side (our LA deals with this), basic annual contract covers all the support, we bill in addition for anything extra (installing new kit, imaging, etc).

We also offer telephone support/call out, but in general most support requests come via email.

Something else to think about is remote access. We're just setting this up between us and all the feeder schools, will make supporting them a whole lot easier.

Anything else do ask, happy to share what we're doing.

Thanks,

Tim

5. Thanks to tim.dalton from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 731 Posts
    I would also suggest the option of the schools banding together to employ a Technician between them. This way the schools employ the support directly and have closer and more beneficial working relationship.

7. Thanks to SYSMAN_MK from:

Thank Post
    I work as part of a 3 man team and we are based at a high school but support 15 primary schools in the local area in weekly 3 hour sessions, we also can remotely access the servers via logmein.com they call or email issues to us outside these sessions, we work closely with IT coordinators with regards to all aspects of the needs of the school both current and future purchases / setups etc.

9. Thanks to Boon72 from:

Thank Post
    I work at a school that has recently amalgamated 3 local schools under one title. But the split-site arrangement still exists (except now they're campuses rather than schools!).

The original set up was that we have two techs at the large Senior school site, and one tech that split his time between the two primary campuses. This worked quite well. Unfortunately our Primary school tech got poached by another company so we've been struggling along with only two techs, based at the senior school, supporting three campuses.

To try to keep the Primary campuses happy, we "trained up" a couple of admin staff to do the menial jobs like change toner and reset passwords. They also act has foils for us, and relay jobs to us as we need to do them, thus we're not often having to rush out to another campus for one piddly little job. (Just because a teacher has her knickers in a twist).

Idealy we'd go back to having another tech to support those two sites, but at the moment we're doing alright.

I also visited another multi-campus school recently and they have 3 techs based at one campus, and they alternate between them the support of the second campus. I think they do a two week stint and then swap.

Good luck with it all!

11. Thanks to SmaraitanCollege from:

Thank Post
    supporting primary schools weekly/fortnightly is basically my job. I work for an independant company and schools contract us to provide support to them for ususaly 2.5 hours a week / fortnight. Generally it works well as most primary schools we support have <60 pcs and 1 server (all setups are near identical from school to school) so i can usually get their problems solved / install software etc in a visit, things like building pc/laptop images can take a few visits (or they can join visits/buy time). generally i work with the ICT coordinator and they have either a book or a webpage for people to request jobs. Again we do remote support via lmi and if needs be then vnc to the pc in question.

Its not a one size fits all solution but generally seems to work for the schools we support

13. Thanks to sted from:

coquet636
    Forgot to say we were going to be appointing an extra technician.

Its just to see what others did as the schools dont need them the whole time and we would benefit from extra time at our site, so was wonderign if thats how others did it.

So, when you get emergency call come in like, the computer suite goes down, and they have already had there allotted time. Dio you just take it off the next weeks time?

Also, Say they dont have anythign to do certain weeks do you just store this time up?

Thanks for all the help so far has been very helpful

Thank Post
    emergency visits are built in to the contract they in theory get 1 hour a half term (in practice someone goes and fixes it asap and if it takes 2 hours then so be it) Up to a point if have little to do i will usually do testing of stuff they (or another school/ will might want later and if all else fails i leave early.

Generally again while its say 2.5 hours i have enough slack in my day i can stay a bit longer (or stay shorter at the next school) so it usually evens itself out. Its very rare i wont go one week that only usually happens if something really odd has happened (had one school where the 2 servers decided to deny all knowledge of the gc and stop replicating etc and i spent 3 solid days rebuilding both servers and 100ish pcs so visits got passed to another tech / postponed banked etc and that school will lose 1/2 an hour or so a week for quite a while to catch back up (unless urgent stuff crops up)
    Last edited by sted; 7th May 2009 at 05:39 PM.

16. Thanks to sted from:

Thank Post
    Our situation is different in that we're one school, and i'm employed to essentially go where i'm needed, rather than being involved in a contract with external schools. Thus if someone phones up in a panic, i'm obligated to get on my bike and sort them out! (Or go wherever the most need is).

It's certainly an intriguing topic of discussion though!

18. Thanks to SmaraitanCollege from:

coquet636
    Quote Originally Posted by SmaraitanCollege View Post
    Our situation is different in that we're one school, and i'm employed to essentially go where i'm needed, rather than being involved in a contract with external schools. Thus if someone phones up in a panic, i'm obligated to get on my bike and sort them out! (Or go wherever the most need is).

It's certainly an intriguing topic of discussion though!
    It is an intriguing topic as for the last .... er.. loads of years i have helped out in emergencies for free so find it hard to say sorry now your gonna have to pay for the service. My arguement is were hiring an extra technician so it will mean the problems shouldnt arise too much!!!!!!

p.s. samaritian college i just knoticed your location as was wondering if you know the croatia whyalla football club?

Tom

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by coquet636 View Post
    Forgot to say we were going to be appointing an extra technician.

Its just to see what others did as the schools dont need them the whole time and we would benefit from extra time at our site, so was wonderign if thats how others did it.

So, when you get emergency call come in like, the computer suite goes down, and they have already had there allotted time. Dio you just take it off the next weeks time?

Also, Say they dont have anythign to do certain weeks do you just store this time up?

Thanks for all the help so far has been very helpful
    We also do almost exactly as Sted is saying.

Our schools are mainly on half a day/week or /fortnight. We dont hang about on site if there is nothing to do. If there is nothing on the list, and you have spoken to the ICT coordinator/staff and done your usual system checks and maintenance you may as well go elsewhere and do something useful.
    They are happy with this since you can do extra visits and emergencies with the spare time.

We just throw emercency calls in (Once it is set up properly, emergency calls are not that common). It averages out over the whole year as the emergency calls come out of the unused time.

Emergency call outs for projector maintenance are a seperate issue. You should make sure you bear those in mind when time planning and also in your contract if necessary.
    Many places now seem happy to pay for these seperately. You could include things like cleaning filters in your normal support but projector maintenance can be a PITA if they have some historical crappy installations with non standard bracketry..

21. Thanks to Tom from:

Thank Post
    We support seven of our family schools. The primaries take anything from 1 day a week to two hours a fortnight. Emergency call outs are charged at an hourly rate.

The SLA covers hardware and software on the curriculum side of the network, but we generally do anything the schools want from us. We have a very good relationship with the schools, and our prices tend to be half of what the private competition charge.

We have an extra member of staff in the department than we might normally to cover the contracts. However we all make trips down to the primaries.

23. Thanks to IrritableTech from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hello Everyone

Sorry to bump an old thread but would anyone be willing to send me a copy of their SLA's or service contact they they have with a primary (suitabily redacted). Were considering offering this service out and would be quite intrested in the nitty gritty details.

Also since this is an old thread how are things going?

Thanks

.Adam

Thank Post
    Yeh this would be interesting to read have you a template or anything .....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast