+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Microsoft OEM Stickers in Technical; Really crap question sorry. When you build machines yourself what sort of OEM stickers do you get and do you ...

Thank Post

Microsoft OEM Stickers

Really crap question sorry.

When you build machines yourself what sort of OEM stickers do you get and do you stick them on the machine.

I only ask this as I used to get nice systembuilder stickers from IT Index but they said they couldn't supply them anymore. I get them from CCL but they are just the horrible ones that don't look like they shoudl be stuck to a machine.

Thank Post

Re: Microsoft OEM Stickers

Are you on about the actual Microsoft Windows Proof of License sticker? Or some Asset Stickers?

I'll give my answer to both of the above:

If I have to build the machine myself then I attach the MS OEM Proof of License sticker to the back of the machine out the way of the kids. Although MS have changed the stickers recently and instead of all of it being sticky only the top and bottom is, which means half of it doesnt stick down now. Doh!

As for Asset Tags, we have a an Asset Tracking system from Seton where we apply a label with a barcode to each machine and scan it into the software with all the relevant details (Purchase Date, Serial Number, Support Details, Associated Hardware, etc).

Or do you mean stickers that you can put machine details on? Just use a dymo labeler to put the info you want on the machine! HTH

Thank Post

Thanks for that.

Its the licensing stickers I was on about. You answered my question about the change to the design as the stickers. They really are rubbish these new ones aren't they.

Thank Post

I wasn't aware you could just buy the labels, you have to buy a license to get a label.

We get our OEM licenses from CCS Media, give them a call on 01246 200200 and ask for Andrew Nixon, he'll sort you out. To be honest most of our stuff is Volume Licensed and not done on an individual basis so I don't have the sticker problem!

Thank Post

Sorry I meant when I purchase oem licenses with the media pack.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

They changed the stickers to make them easier to spot clones as you can see both sides of the tape and see that its now tape rather than a silver line, or thats the idea. You MUST affix them to the PC to be legal, although in schools these new ones will last no more than 10 minutes, so I personally have not put them on the last machines I made, but stuck an asset sticker on them and cross-refereneced it to the invoice for the goods and asset number so its very hard not to be able to confirm the machines etc but still not the correct way of doing it, but when MSFT come up with Child Proof stickers I will stick them back on again. What happened to the old Win NT style, I have machines that still have these on 7 years later, VS XP ones which last literally minutes.

Thank Post

what always cracks me up about stickers is that kids will pull them off, then feel guilty and try to stick them back on again (unsuccessfully).

or maybe they are hoping to find a winning number underneath :-)

Thank Post

You could always take my approach, stick them on the inside of the cases. It's still not exactly legal as MSFT say they must be on the outside, but I doubt they'd crucify you for it

Thank Post

You have to stick them on the outside as they have to be visible without removing covers etc, I will dig out my full T&Cs on them tomorrow when I get time but there are strict rule and regs about where you must have them.

Thank Post

As per above MS are incredibly anal about where the stickers are placed ... although it's highly unlikely that anyone would ever report you

They introduced the new style stickers because enterprising oriental gentlemen were knocking out counterfeit versions by the bucketful.

Aside from which, every school,college, academic establishment should be using a volume licence - it's cheaper.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Its just a shame you can't get XP on a volume licence really, isn't it? You can get upgrades but you can't get a full version.

Thank Post

I agree, Full XP via Volume would be a good thing. This is one thing on OEM licencing: http://oem.microsoft.com/script/site...thenticity.htm
    its not brill, but a small bit of info, and I will keep digging for the rest...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread