+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Controlled coursework? in Technical; Some of our subjects have started using the new controlled coursework sylabus. This means that studends have a set period ...

Thank Post

Controlled coursework?

Some of our subjects have started using the new controlled coursework sylabus.
    This means that studends have a set period of time to complete a peice of coursework on computers.
    The students are allowed to use the internet, and save their work, but they cannot access the work outside of lesson time.
    We have a VLE with access to users work area from home.
    Anyopne ever dealt with a controlled coursework problem before?
    Any Thoghts?
    Thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Scheduled tasks to add and remove rights to the directory at appropriate times?

Edit: Alternatively, what about a logon script that allows access to the files only when they're logging in within the school?

Thank Post
    I'm currently thinking of a way to do this without creating a whole raft of exam accounts (which we normally use for day-long coursework exams). Does your syllabus say they're not allowed access to any research notes relating to the coursework outside of the lessons either?

So far - if the kid's using his own account (with a new "coursework" homedir assigned as a scheduled task that I manage to link on a per-set timetable basis), he can still copy to moodle / anywhere on the Internet that allows him to paste text and save it (i.e pastebin and others I'm unaware of).

If I use an exam account for those lessons, it's another password for him to forget after a day and I still have to do the scheduled task thing to enable the account for those lessons. And he can still paste to moodle/anywhere on the Internet that allows him to paste text and save it.

The restrictions deemed necessary by our syllabus are a joke, since they're so easy to circumvent. Once they have Internet access for the exam sessions, it's trivial to hide or upload info somewhere on the Internet.

Thank Post
    We setup some special exam user accounts once whihc the teacher issued to the students. These were then enabled/disabled as needed.

Thank Post
    This year we had this crop up for the first time - in the end we just set the logon hours for the user accounts in AD to only allow login between 9AM and 3PM monday-friday during the art exam fortnight. Whether they were logging in during the day between their exam is another issue!

Thank Post
    Controlled Assesment.

That's how we are doing it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread