+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Helpdesk carrot & stick in Technical; After a great deal of thought and careful planning I've decided the time has come for a new system to ...
    Thank Post

Helpdesk carrot & stick

After a great deal of thought and careful planning I've decided the time has come for a new system to encourage my schools to submit information about their IT problems in the book or helpdesk provided using a new approach.

The stick... A charity pot for which the following phrases will automatically require a contribution before their issue will be resolved
    - I haven't put it in the book yet but
    - I know you're busy but
    - This hasn't been working for ages (nothing in book or helpdesk)
    .. etc...

The carrot will be a small presentation of chocolates to the staff members who've been using the helpdesk properly or putting detailed reports in the book. The staff get to decide where the charity money should be donated too (Technophobes anonymous ??).

I have one school in mind that I'll be trialling this with, where there's a certain amount of good humour and I intend to sweeten the deal somewhat by keeping tags on how quickly I resolve the problems and compare them to previous "unreported" times...

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thank Post
    I think that's a great idea all round. Do indeed let us know.

Thank Post
    I find "email me or it won't get done" works fairly well here - staff seem to get the idea when they find that once they actually bother sending me an email the job tends to get done within the day

Hope it works out for you, I guess you'd need to have staff with a sense of humor for it to work well, staff in most of the schools I've been to wouldn't accept it easily

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamman960 View Post
    I find "email me or it won't get done" works fairly well here - staff seem to get the idea when they find that once they actually bother sending me an email the job tends to get done within the day
    Tried, that... didn't get anywhere... just a long list of problems that had gone critical and finally someone put them on paper. Made me look incredibly bad...

Hope it works out for you, I guess you'd need to have staff with a sense of humor for it to work well, staff in most of the schools I've been to wouldn't accept it easily
    Yeah... humour will definitely be a requirement... I figure I'll get a few peoples backs up but in the main the lesson will be learnt and the penny will drop.. ie: Mind reader module no work... communication required!

It's a bit like the Ryanair toilet publicity stunt. There's no way he can get away with it but it's publicity so it get the message out there...

...Actually no, it's not like that at all... but you get the idea.

5. Thanks to contink from:

dalsoth (25th March 2009)

Thank Post
    How could you look bad if the faults were not reported? You can not personally run around and check every laptop trolley in every department and unplug each laptop for a close inspection every day. You could not do this with projectors or desktops either if you have quite a few on site.

We rely on staff (sometimes students) to report problems and submit requests. No report or no request, then no action is taken. Now if i had a large staff to work with we would be able to do some of the proactive jobs that would prevent some of this stuff or at least would bring it to our attention before a problem is submitted but here we do not have that luxury.

I have a laptop on my desk that an annoying member of staff brought over because she can't be bothered to book faults and thinks she will get higher priority in person. I asked her to submit the job anyway as there were other calls currently being dealt with. She has not bothered as usual and her laptop is still sitting on the desk a day later untouched.

I should not be expected to remember dozens of problems and tasks in my head every day. No helpdesk equals no solution.

I think you just need a bit of support from leadership or even just the green light to force staff to use the helpdesk before anything else except emergencies.

SLA's also help to define acceptable time frames to solve issues. As does really doing it properly with ITIL or FITS as it is geared specifically to schools.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dalsoth View Post
    How could you look bad if the faults were not reported? You can not personally run around and check every laptop trolley in every department and unplug each laptop for a close inspection every day. You could not do this with projectors or desktops either if you have quite a few on site.
    You know the expression... "Throw enough mud, some of it sticks" ?

That's pretty much the issue... It takes time to educate teachers, more than it takes with children and it's one of these things where people often think it's sufficient to gripe to anyone regarding a problem and somehow I hear about it, sort of like bionic super hearing. So they keep griping and pretty soon it sort of takes on a life of its own.

In terms of running around I'm not employed directly by any one school so I'm on-site only once every week and can't touch base with every teacher to check they don't have problems because they're often in classes.

Regarding the rest of it... I do have support from SMT and they are very good at reminding staff.. The message gets through slowly and one very demonstrative trick I've adopted is throwing 15 numbers at staff and then asking them to tell me what the 1st, 8th and 15th numbers were. They can't so the penny drops about the way I get bombarded with requests, can't remember them all... and lo' they start writing it down.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread