+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Is anyone running a school radio? in Technical; Just sorting out the development of our School radio. Anyone know what licences are involved? I am assuming that the ...
    Thank Post

Is anyone running a school radio?

Just sorting out the development of our School radio. Anyone know what licences are involved? I am assuming that the PRS licence is a necessity, but would we also need a phonographic performance licence if we are broadcasting copyrighted material?

Anyone got any recommended method of delivery? I was thinking just something along shoutcast server lines, any better alternatives?

Thank Post
    Wey Valley School in Weymouth have a radio station in school. Give them a call i'm sure they would help. Wey Valley Radio - Student Radio Station for Wey Valley School

Thank Post
    Looks quite an interesting setup, though it appears they have had it all done through a third party company (cmgaudio) rather than themselves. There is a screenshot in one of their links of their station software but its a bit too small to see what the software is, I dont suppose cmgaudio would be willing to tell us which software they use so we can get it ourselves.

EDIT : ahh..wait, no problems, I got the name of the station software from the image name

Thank Post
    One of my primary schools is looking at setting up a school radio station, something to do with the Creative Partnerships programme, its early days but the draft details i've seen so far are:

Licences: PPL and PRS/MCPS

Computer Hardware: Mac desktop (running as a streaming server)

Radio Hardware: wifi internet radio devices

Software: Traktor DJ

I dont know much more about it at this stage but it looks exciting, when I get any more info i'll pass it on.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by brookesandrew View Post
    One of my primary schools is looking at setting up a school radio station, something to do with the Creative Partnerships programme, its early days but the draft details i've seen so far are:

I dont know much more about it at this stage but it looks exciting, when I get any more info i'll pass it on.
    Looks pretty good.

I would recommend using SHOUTcast for streaming, although Windows Media may be more appropriate if you have some sort of media server already in place. SC is rock solid, and will pretty much run on any piece of rubbishy hardware you have lying around!

Other software for running the audio I would recommend is Jazler - JAZLER© - the radio automation software - it's used by some pro stations and bears some resemblance to automation software like EncoDAD, MasterControl and RadioMan as used in commercial stations and BBC local stations...just a thought!

Thank Post
    Licensing wise the info above is what I believe to be accurate.
    Although we don't currently host a station (although are due to in the future using a professional installation which I'm not involved with), I know Windows Media Encoder to be an excellent piece of software for allowing broadcast via Internet/Intranet.
    It's free, and does everything you could want it to do as well as being able to loop pre-recorded streams etc.

Link here

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by brookesandrew View Post

Ah so my suspicions regarding the PPL are founded then, good good, useful info. For software I must admit that I am pretty impressed by that software Wey are using in the earlier link , Stationplaylist. Seems to have quite alot of features in it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 758 Posts
    Hi All,
    Have a look at this and let me know what you think Radio in Schools

It has just been passed to me by our HT.
    Hope this helps people.

Thank Post
    Seems similar to that radioanywhere.co.uk one. Nicely presented site though, At £700 per year for us though I dont know if it would have the level of flexibility for the price, that we're looking for.

Thank Post
    Here is another link:

Home | Radiowaves

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    Here is another link:

Home | Radiowaves

Thanks, another nicely presented site. Am I being dense though or is it more of a depository for podcasts etc rather than a running daily radio station?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,453 Posts
    SYNERGY SCHOOL RADIO produce hardware for running radio stations.

Ben

Thank Post

Web Radio

I did some research a couple of years ago into setting up a web radio using open source software. I have attached the final documents - you may find some of it useful. I haven't looked at it for a while so can't guarantee that it is all up to date.

Nick
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank Post
    Just seen these guys offer radio stations for Schools as a complete package.

Could be interesting....

Streaming School Radio Station

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    At my last place we had a synergy setup, overkill really, had some nice features such as; drag and drop touch screen playlists, jingle carts, mics turned off when music playing, auto play cued CDs when volumne slider raised...etc etc etc but you could do the same for a lot less, also had an issue with one of the mics which we could never fathom, occured outside the warranty but for the very small number of very knowledgeable support staff a trip down to Manchester seemed too much hassle for them. Set up and training were good. However but (it seemed with boring regularity) the room was used as a showcase for when people were visiting the school and we used about 5% of its capability, ie recording voice to put up to the radiowaves site. Yes, to answer someone elses question radiowaves is a collection of podcasts and pupil blogs, but I believe they were licensed to play some copyrighted music

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast