+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Codecs and DVDs in Technical; I know this thread has been posted many times, but I was just wondering what schools do for DVD playback? ...
    Thank Post

Thumbs down Codecs and DVDs

I know this thread has been posted many times, but I was just wondering what schools do for DVD playback? Currently we are buying PowerDVD OEM for each PC which needs DVD playback, and locally installing it . In the past I have always used MPC for DVD playback on XP but I am a little concerned about the legalities of doing this in a School.

Obviously a free codec like ffdshow would be ideal as it would allow editing through windows movie maker as well for MP4 files but through reading a lot of the posts on this forum I am confused about the fact that an open source implementation of it still is breaking the mpeg patent (or something like that!) making it illegal :s

Anyhow as you can probably see I'm mightily confused about the whole subject now!

Thank Post
    It sounds like you need VLC player in your life!
    We've been using it for the last couple of years - never looked back

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    I know this thread has been posted many times, but I was just wondering what schools do for DVD playback? Currently we are buying PowerDVD OEM for each PC which needs DVD playback, and locally installing it . In the past I have always used MPC for DVD playback on XP but I am a little concerned about the legalities of doing this in a School.

Obviously a free codec like ffdshow would be ideal as it would allow editing through windows movie maker as well for MP4 files but through reading a lot of the posts on this forum I am confused about the fact that an open source implementation of it still is breaking the mpeg patent (or something like that!) making it illegal :s

Anyhow as you can probably see I'm mightily confused about the whole subject now!
    We use PowerDVD too as our machines each come with a license, but could VLC Media Player not be the answer you are looking for? I'm sure it's more than capable of playing DVD's (amongst 5 million other types of video format)

EDIT: Shucks, beaten to it!

Thank Post
    Yeah I've been checking that out, I've used that before as well, great program but the site states that the libdvdcss library is technically illegal in a lot of countries :s I belive that is the case over here. Glad to see that its one vote for a really good program tho

Just a sidetrack here, but it seems that the more u pay for DVD software the more slow and memory hogging it seems to be.... Weird that huh?
    Last edited by Jamo; 16th March 2009 at 11:57 AM.

Thank Post
    we use VLC and have installed FFDShow and it seems to work. Though I think we have PowerDVD as well as it comes with the PCs.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,460 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I use VLC and i have also used this Combined Community Codec Pack works very well had no issues at all

Thank Post
    mmm CCCP look interesting, havent heard of that one before. Judging by what people are saying the open source implementations of the MPEG codecs are ok to use in schools? Might go for the FFDShow for a test later on.

Thank Post
    I use this (built a pckage for CC3) and it seems to do the trick. Also helps with a lot of occasions when movies are downloaded from video cameras. (And it includes FFDShow).

Free-Codecs.com : XP Codec Pack 2.4.6 is one of the most completed codec packs

Thank Post
    klite codec pack works well

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We use VLC player and K-lite codec pack

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Are the codecs required to playback a dvd which are included with these solutions legally allowed though?

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Are the codecs required to playback a dvd which are included with these solutions legally allowed though?

Ben
    This is my concern :s, ive always used those codecs at home, also useful for 64bit Media Centre playback of MP4 which was a bit of a pain! Our school here is quite rightly strict on all licensing and it gets very confusing with re to these codecs. Im surprised that they can be illegal because they are built from the ground up, its not like they are using copied code to function.

Thank Post
    Windows Media Player with Klite codec pack.

Download klite from Download K-Lite Codec Pack 4.70 (Full) - FileHippo.com

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post

Ben
    libdvdcss, which ships with VLC (and quite a few Linux dists under GPL) has never been actually made illegal, or been challenged in court, so that at least is fine to use... at least until the MPAA or someone else get tired of banging the doors of torrent sites and looks for easier victims.

Can't say for definite about the other codecs though. Common opinion is that K-lite and other 'popular' all-in-ones contain illegals. Try this site for a supposedly 100% legal pack of codecs:

Download XP Codec Pack 2.4.6 - XP Codec Pack is one of the most completed codec packs

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The thing is libdvdcss is illegal in the USA only - as it comes under the DMCA (and any other countries with similar laws). We don't have such a law in the UK yet I don't think (have we ratified the EU Copyright Directive?).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast