+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
How do you do....it? Thread, Codecs and DVDs in Technical; ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    The thing is libdvdcss is illegal in the USA only - as it comes under the DMCA (and any other countries with similar laws). We don't have such a law in the UK yet I don't think (have we ratified the EU Copyright Directive?).
    I have been browsing the net for a while now about this issue, found a couple of articles which shed... well a teeny bit of light on the situation.

The Legality or Illegality of w32codecs and libdvdcss2 « UbuntuCat

libdvdcss - SWiK

It seems that the program is both legal and illegal, it is not related in any way to DeCSS which was the one which was actually contested in court and until something happens re the courts it seems to remain a grey area. O dear it seems my research has left me further confused lol o well, nearly time to eat my pot noodle that will solve the issue for a while

According to the lower website, its not illegal yet in the US, but it "possibly" breaks the DMCA rules!

I hate the word possibly!!

Thank Post
    Hopefully we don't get DMCA style handcuffs! But even in the DMCA there are limitations which basically say that even though decrypting software (creation/use of) is illegal, you can only be prosecuted if someone is actually being harmed or damaged financially by it, i.e. making copies and distributing, etc.

What you should be concerned about is our copyright laws, as long as you're playing legally owned content on your PC, you'll be fine. If you're not, then why worry about what player it is anyway...

Thank Post
    We have license (which I can't think the name of at the min) which allows films to be shown in an education enviroment - however, even this only applies when the film is being shown for some educational purpose!

....so you can imagine how unpopular I was when I pointed out to the staff that end of term videos should not be screened as they are for entertainment, not education! (Luckily the SMT at the time backed me up!)

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    Good point. It's amazing how many teachers "didn't see" the big WARNING - This movie is not licenced to be shown in prisons, hospitals, oil rigs, schools, etc. etc. - at the start of a film.

But, going back to the OP's question I tend to use whatever DVD software came bundled with the laptop - usually Power DVD.

We hope to phase out DVD playing by replacing laptops with Netbooks (no DVD drive!) and any legitimate media going on our Media Server.

Thank Post
    Good point. It's amazing how many teachers "didn't see" the big WARNING - This movie is not licenced to be shown in prisons, hospitals, oil rigs, schools, etc. etc. - at the start of a film.

But, going back to the OP's question I tend to use whatever DVD software came bundled with the laptop - usually Power DVD.

We hope to phase out DVD playing by replacing laptops with Netbooks (no DVD drive!) and any legitimate media going on our Media Server.
    Netbooks are interesting little things! Going for Windows or Linux ones?

Thank Post
    We have PowerDVD on some that came with it, VLC accessible by all computers and even a Codec Pack installed to enable Windows Media Player to handle them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    I know this thread has been posted many times, but I was just wondering what schools do for DVD playback? Currently we are buying PowerDVD OEM for each PC which needs DVD playback, and locally installing it . In the past I have always used MPC for DVD playback on XP but I am a little concerned about the legalities of doing this in a School.

Obviously a free codec like ffdshow would be ideal as it would allow editing through windows movie maker as well for MP4 files but through reading a lot of the posts on this forum I am confused about the fact that an open source implementation of it still is breaking the mpeg patent (or something like that!) making it illegal :s

Anyhow as you can probably see I'm mightily confused about the whole subject now!
    I've been contemplating the idea of a Tversity server. Basically making a media streaming server on your local network. You can add all your movies and teaching resources and to a directory then let all members of staff stream directly from the server. Plus the extra genius behind this being - I bet your local authority block youtube, but as we all know a valued teaching resource. In Tversity you can add links to you tube (you can setup the server with user name and password for the proxy for unfiltered internet access) check it out and let me know what you think.

Almost forgot to mention it also re-encodes the files so no need for codecs

Matt

Thank Post
    We've been doing something along these lines for many years, for free, using Unreal Media Server. It streams the videos to the teacher's machine and only requires the Unreal ActiveX CAB and the codec for the file played (usually DivX).

I noticed you're at Handsworth Grange, I used to go there when it was Beaver Hill! Are you the new NM?
    From what I gather this method requires only windows media player on the client machine. It requires no additional codex for the client machine because it would all be re-encoded by the server. I believe the youtube application side would aid teaching and learning.

Haha, nahh... I'm just a Senior Tech... Used to work at Birley Community College... One day I might be lucky enough to become a NM

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12