+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, eeePC's and Terminal Server in Technical; Just thinking aloud here..... Has anybody gone down the route of eeePC's and a terminal server? As it stands we ...

Thank Post

eeePC's and Terminal Server

Just thinking aloud here.....

Has anybody gone down the route of eeePC's and a terminal server? As it stands we are looking like having an extra 40 students in our sixth form next year and we have no idea where we are gonna put them all. We only had a new sixth form centre built last year but already its looking like being too small.

This came to me last night so I am not sure how feasible it is, but I wonder if we could have a bank of say 30 eeePC's in the dining hall for sixth form use when they have free lessons to use as a sort of cyber cafe area. I am not normally a fan of banks of laptops etc, but I just don't see anything else working if I am honest. Breakout areas in corrididors etc is also a possibility but not ideal.

Has anybody achieved something similar with eeePC's and Terminal server?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    Just thinking aloud here.....

Has anybody gone down the route of eeePC's and a terminal server? As it stands we are looking like having an extra 40 students in our sixth form next year and we have no idea where we are gonna put them all. We only had a new sixth form centre built last year but already its looking like being too small.

This came to me last night so I am not sure how feasible it is, but I wonder if we could have a bank of say 30 eeePC's in the dining hall for sixth form use when they have free lessons to use as a sort of cyber cafe area. I am not normally a fan of banks of laptops etc, but I just don't see anything else working if I am honest. Breakout areas in corrididors etc is also a possibility but not ideal.

Has anybody achieved something similar with eeePC's and Terminal server?
    We haven't done it but I was thinking of doing something very similar. We have played around with a single EeePC and attached it to our terminal server and it seemed to work fine. Be interested to know if anyone had done it with a larger quantity.

Thank Post
    We don't have the number of eeepcs you're talking about, but we do have five eeepcs setup to auto-connect an RDP session at boot so that our PE teachers can take the register in SIMS.

We had issues with inconsistent wireless connections at startup with the preinstalled Xandros OS. After some experimentation I found the simplest solution was to install (eeex)ubuntu with wicd which improved the wireless connection consistency. I've seen mention of a new driver for Xandros on the RM forums, but don't know whether it addressed this issue.

4. Thanks to meastaugh1 from:

Sylv3r (7th March 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread