+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Do you document everything you do? if so what do you use? in Technical; Currently we dont really have a help desk and people just ask when something is broken or they need something ...
    Thank Post

Do you document everything you do? if so what do you use?

Currently we dont really have a help desk and people just ask when something is broken or they need something doing . .

Do you record what you do throughout the day, ie: what you fix and how long t took etc?

If so, what kind of software do you use?

thx

2. Thanks to jamin100 from:

Little-Miss (4th March 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We currently use GLPI for our helpdesk system, the staff log the call's on there and we pick them up, but we still get the odd person coming straight to the office and asking us something.

We do close and record any jobs on the helpdesk, but we dont tend to record how long it took.

unfortunatly there are time's in which it is really busy and we just forget to record every job, but we get a majority of them.

James.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 761 Posts
    We use an in-house ticketing system for our responsive work, but there are many off-the-shelf packages available - if you have a search for ticketing software on these forums you will be sure to find some recommendations.

We record what we do but not the time we spend on it. The software does track the open and close times for each ticket, but that's not normally representative of the time spent on the problem.

Our SOPs are part documented (work in progress) in a Sharepoint wiki.

Thank Post
    I've started using Zendesk now for about 6 months and it's incredibly simple for staff to use (even the teachers I never thought would).. has email integration and helps me keep track of where I'm at with things.

Does have a couple of small niggles but in terms of recording what's happening, where, why, etc... it's invaluable now.

Thank Post
    Something simple as a word document(ICT PROBLEMS) with a shortcut to staff desktop ,location, person who logged problem, date problem discovered date problem was fixed(pending).works for me in a Primary school .

Thank Post
    Partly, as in I try to get the staff to. We have a (LP+) Sharepoint VLE, so have created a list on the staff area for the purpose. If I'm not mega busy I do still usually respond to "can you justs", wherever possible, but the staff are usually ok about logging issues when I'm busy. I put solutions to the problems on the list too, in the hope that they maybe helpful to other users to sort their problems out.

(Small 11-16 secondary, NOR: 381)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,520 Posts
    We use On-demand Help desk, Customer Support & Service SaaS from OP Software - Home logs all of our jobs, how long they took, solution.

Plus has a knowledgebase for people to look up their own problems and seek the solutions.

When logging a request the system also scan the knowledgebase and suggests anything which may be relevant.

Future expansion of mlh will cover all the fits processes and provide asset management as well.

Ben

Thank Post
    The HT has instructed staff to email all requests for support so that it is logged. This was at the start of this term and so far I have 4 logged items. 3 from the same teacher.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    The HT has instructed staff to email all requests for support so that it is logged. This was at the start of this term and so far I have 4 logged items. 3 from the same teacher.
    It's a real balancing act isn't it, deciding how snotty to be

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    Had the same problem here including the HT/SMT not bothering either afterwards. You have to feel sorry for the poor user who's the only one following the new system and wondering why if there's only 4 jobs their 3 haven't been done...

Thank Post
    we currently record on excel and have paper slips for problems. Not ideal, I would like to switch to osTicket:: Open Source Support Ticket System tested at home and it seems like a pretty simple package which is always good!!

13. Thanks to Jamo from:

Crazyfray (7th June 2009)

Thank Post
    We use Job Manager to log all jobs on but staff can report by phone, email or any other way.

I'm not sure I would like to go to a system where staff have to report faults online as many of our faults are the "I can't get onto the network" or "The internet is broken" - mostly user errors but it would prevent them logging electronically.

In terms of "snotty" response - well I find that those people who ask in a civilised way for help, with a healthy professional respect get almost instant service - those that don't could well get a slightly slower service

Thank Post
    We log everything in an Access database which I put together several years ago. It's not ideal, but it records every job, dates, times, users, stations, whether hardware, software or user error, whether re-imaged, also external contacts, serial numbers, equipment sent away for warranty repair, etc.

Like anything like this, it relies on the support team to enter the data, and of course some things are missed, but mostly it's done and done well, and it really helps to keep track of what support work is on-going or has been done.

Couldn't manage without it, I don't think.

Thank Post
    I dont log everything, just the bigger things like software and hardware problems, password resets or < 5min repair jobs are just done

There is a free access based tool called SomeHelp which works well for us.

I only use it myself to keep track of jobs, it has a usefull screen where all open jobes are displayed with the number of days they have been open

17. Thanks to Griffo from:

Gibson335 (4th March 2009)

Thank Post
    in our primary school, we do manual record handling. staff log their problems with Date, Name, Problem and place. we update the rest what solution given and when.
    this will help in future.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast