+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, User profiles in Technical; Hi folks, a statement of how much I have to learn! :mrgreen: I’m running a lone vanilla Win 2K Server ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

User profiles

Hi folks, a statement of how much I have to learn! :mrgreen:

I’m running a lone vanilla Win 2K Server (Dell Power Edge 600 SC with 256MB of memory) with a total of 52 XP pro workstations running off it (32 suited – 10 notebooks linked to interactive whiteboards and an oddment of others). When I set up a new user I copy the setting from an existing client in the Active Directory. However, what I am finding is that when students log onto the workstations some expected icons and settings are missing and some machines pick up an old default printer – running from the server, others don’t pick a printer up at all.

I also want to change the default printer for the 32 suited machines from the current old Epson C43 to a Brother Laser.

Reading offerings on this Forum I see that to “sort all this out” I need to edit profiles but how and where please. At present Profile Path and Login Script are blank in student user account folders in the Active Directory.

The company that set the server up in 2003 went bust :!:

Any additional advice on improving the system would also be most welcome. :sign2:

Thank Post

Re: User profiles

It sounds like it might be DNS related, are all your clients TCP/IP settings configured correctly? If not they won't be picking up your policies.

Also having 256MB of RAM might be limiting the server slightly, even an upgrade to 512 would be good!

There's a good support article on creating mandatory profiles on the MS Support website here.

Thank Post

I wonder if you've got the active directory management tool installed, for some strange reason, it doesn't come installed as standard. Install this from the server disk and you should have access to setting up GPO's

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by indie
    It sounds like it might be DNS related, are all your clients TCP/IP settings configured correctly? If not they won't be picking up your policies.

Also having 256MB of RAM might be limiting the server slightly, even an upgrade to 512 would be good!

There's a good support article on creating mandatory profiles on the MS Support website here.
    Thanks, I will look into the memory upgrade but how would I go about checking the TCP/IP setting please?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread