+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
How do you do....it? Thread, Choosing antivirus supplier in Technical; Sophos really hammers the machine, got a DLL fix to try but not sure if that'll be the solution though... ...
    Thank Post
    Sophos really hammers the machine, got a DLL fix to try but not sure if that'll be the solution though...

Lots of votes for NOD here, what's the management console like? One of the things that annoys me with Sophos is that there's no way to view the log history of a client machine without either being at the client or browsing through the C: drive to find it

Can you get full history with NOD, e.g. infections, action taken, updates etc etc?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    what about the people who want to go with another product ?
    You didn't read my posting - I covered that scenario. The new supplier should help - we do with new customers, or if an existing customer takes over another company and wants to roll out Sophos.

Trend - Click on the group in the console, click on uninstall, click on ok. DONE.
    Why? Would someone tell me why!!! I don't do your job. I don't know what tasks you have to perform. I sit in a box minding my own business until you raise a case and then I kick into action . I then start to understand how you're using the software and the issues you're having. I honestly can't see why you would need to remove it. Do you come in every morning and need to zap the product from 10 machines? Or is this a weekly thing!

OK Trend do it and we don't. But we don't because we don't get enough requests for the feature.

Scenario: 100 people say they want role-based tools for the Console. 2 people want central removal control. Guess who wins...

Sophos Endpoint Security and Control: administration consoles > Helpdesk Console OR Enterprise Read-Only Console

We want to please as many people as possible and it all starts with justifying the feature and prioritising it. Tell me why it's a cool feature or describe the pain you have because it's not there and I'll raise it internally for you.

Thank Post
    NOD32 Review Review of the Eset NOD32 Antivirus and Security - PC World

NOD32's overall malware detection rate wasn't stellar, however. When pitted against AV-Test.org's nearly 900,000-strong "zoo" of Trojans, viruses, and other malware, NOD32 caught only 90 percent, compared to the 96 percent rate of top performers Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6, Symantec Norton AntiVirus 2007, and BitDefender Antivirus 10. It fared surprisingly poorly with 32-bit Windows viruses (approximately 1 in 11 samples in the zoo), catching only 73 percent.

In disinfection tests, NOD32 cleaned up all malware files but missed resulting changes to the Hosts network settings file and most of the less-important Registry changes, for a disappointing 55 percent success rate.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophos-Support-5 View Post
    We want to please as many people as possible and it all starts with justifying the feature and prioritising it. Tell me why it's a cool feature or describe the pain you have because it's not there and I'll raise it internally for you.
    I mentioned this to a Sophos tech I spoke to the other day (may even have been you ) but might as well put it down again...

- access log of all client activity from console, in the same way you can access the log file of another PC from Event Viewer in Windows
    - view progress of scan in real time on management console would be quite handy as well
    - more info about what has happened in a cleanup rather than just an alert and no detail as it is at the moment
    - lower CPU \ memory usage when starting up, updating & scanning

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Why? Would someone tell me why!!! I don't do your job. I don't know what tasks you have to perform. I sit in a box minding my own business until you raise a case and then I kick into action . I then start to understand how you're using the software and the issues you're having. I honestly can't see why you would need to remove it. Do you come in every morning and need to zap the product from 10 machines? Or is this a weekly thing!

OK Trend do it and we don't. But we don't because we don't get enough requests for the feature.

Scenario: 100 people say they want role-based tools for the Console. 2 people want central removal control. Guess who wins...

Sophos Endpoint Security and Control: administration consoles > Helpdesk Console OR Enterprise Read-Only Console

Well you wanted feedback, now you have it along with all the other posts from people who have mentioned other factors........

Thank Post
    Well you wanted feedback, now you have it along with all the other posts from people who have mentioned other factors........
    I told you in a previous post (different thread) that I could only find mentioned memory footprint size.

I do welcome all feedback. However if you are not currently using our latest software then you may be stating features that have already been incorporated into the product set and therefore not best placed to comment.

AND you still haven't told me why you need to uninstall remotely all the time??? If it's so easy to uninstall Trend then do it on ten computers and install the latest version of Sophos (or use our removal tool that wipes Trend out of the way automatically on install). Then let me know what you think.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    If it's so easy to uninstall Trend then do it on ten computers and install the latest version of Sophos
    I would rather stick pins in my eyes thanks !!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    I'd want to remove Sophos centrally as sometimes it borkes on updates and jams so to go out and manually un-install it all is a PITA, especially on teacher laptops which often are oh i'm using it or its in room X not my classroom etc so being able to put on the console un-install Sophos would be good. Also in the past, we've had the issue of it deciding all of a sudden Program X is dodgy, so an option to mass un-install it in that room to get round a problem urgently would be very handy!

I too want a much smaller footprint client, its far too big and numb so reduce the size, anti-virus software should need no more 512kb of ram to live! (ok maybe a bit too small but 60 or 70mb which I often see is too great!) same with CPU thrashing which is a common trait of it.

I hold no faith in this request as I made it 3 years ago when it was just getting bigger and bigger and bigger and more PC hungry and to the point where I needed a 1000 server to run the thing, but at the time I said I want a simple Anti-Virus program, clear off with all this firewall client, application control, NAC etc that is bundled in with it, I just want an option of a clean and clear Anti-Virus program that scans drives for viruses that's it! All I want.

I'm not bothered about PUA, NAC, Firewall etc, if I want them I want them as separate programs I can install (I know some are but get my picture here!) thats my choice, fine I know that you can leave the NAC and firewall client off if your not licences etc but it will still be clinging in there I'm sure, so go back and revisit Sophos V3 please and V4 with the good old days of the SAVAdmin console before the Enterprise Console as that is the product I want really, the simple basic one that was with the N logo! Fine the update popup was a really annoyance which the new one doesn't have which is better, but I'd sooner go back in time than it get any worse.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,675 Times in 2,269 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Unless all of your machines have Cray logos on them I would steer clear of CA Integrated Threat Managment. Talk about heavy, it cruches even some of our newest machines, infact I think that I can demonstraite some of their code in faux python:

Code:
    Import NeutronStar
    Import StellarCoreFragment
    Import RudimentryAV
    Import RudimentryAnitiMalware
    Import FlashyResourceHoggingWebInterface

While I=1:I=1

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Swapped off the resource heavy Symantec Corporate (which was bundled on our old RM system) to AVG Network Edition 7.5 - which at the time was light weight, network managable and cheap! It was doing great, until they made it resource heavy with version 8. Been on a trial with Avast - which has native MSI installation (so we can push it with GPO - one less to have to remember to install), and network management utils. Cost - about 4k.

We also trialed Sophos... found it a bit heavy on the client, and a bit too expensive for us - as we also want to protect a local Sharepoint and Exchange install.

After the work been doing with MS with Sharepoint recently, had my head turned a bit by Forefront - Microsofts corporate AV and AntiMalware product. Same pluses as Avast - except cheaper per machine and it also keeps all my licencing in one place. Bonuses - the Sharepoint and Exchange versions have profanity filters!!

Food for thought.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stuartwilkie View Post
    we also want to protect a local Sharepoint and Exchange install.
    It just so happens we're working on Sharepoint protection right now...

Sophos for Microsoft SharePoint (beta) provides proactive, real-time protection of your collaborative workspace.

Sophos for Microsoft SharePoint > Sophos beta program

While it's in beta we really REALLY like feedback!!

Regards,

Sophos Technical Support

Thank Post
    I would love for sophos to be able to be deployed via a msi with setting to auto update for imaging

Thank Post

Exclamation

@John

You said exactly what i was thinking a lot the extra features in the new enterpise console are not needed and just create extra work. I loved the ols SAVAdmin console, it was easy to use, quick and did everything that was needed of it.

@Sophos-Support-5

Three things i would like changing

1 - Release a cut down version that contains just antivirus without the extras.
    2 - Reduce the resources used by the client
    3 - Simplify network deployment

I know the new console is designed to cope with Enterprise level organisiations and all those features my be handy for them, but for the rest of us its just an extra layer of complexity we dont need.

Schools or small business version would be marvellous.

Thank Post
    Interested to see how this turned into a Sophos feedback thread but anyway... some news from the trenches on Avast after about 3 months of testing, tyre kicking and recent purchase for two schools.

The bad
    • The documentation...
      It could really use some additional FAQ articles for things like updating your license information (Tip: Use the AMS Maintenance system)
    • Learning curve...
      You will find yourself really having to do a lot of reading and testing before you understand how to manage the ADNM (equiv of Enterprise Console)

The Good
    • Little if any, lock up issues.. (compared to Sophos which likes to hold everything during packet loss)
    • VERY powerful in terms of being able to run everything from scans, to cleaning, policies, etc... remotely. (Part of the reason for the learning curve)
    • Small footprint (around 50MB) although it can balloon temporarily (looking at peak mem usage).

I'm not really cue'd up to provide more intel but for my money it's not been bad value with much more remote handling capability which makes it perfect for me being offsite 75% of the time.

Thank Post
    NOD32 still getting the thumbs up?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12