+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
How do you do....it? Thread, Allow Access to Videos? in Technical; Hi all. For a little while now we've been recording tv programmes to a digital format. Everything seems to be ...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    33
    Thank Post
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0

    Allow Access to Videos?

    Hi all.

    For a little while now we've been recording tv programmes to a digital format. Everything seems to be going OK, and we've followed the ERA guidelines, including video Titles, disclaimers etc. But now I'm a bit stuck on the best way to allow access to these files.

    The easiest way would to simply dump them all into some sort of a resource folder and allow access to the files via a URL. Ideally I'd like some sort of on demand streaming facility would be a what I after, and a quick google shows a fairly nice system (Video Library Server - Video Library). I'll look into that, but are there alternatives available?

    Does anyone one have any experience of a using a Streaming Video server for thier recorded content (in particular TV programmes)? If so, any pointers, examples or advice would be most appreciated.

    ___________
    Fruity

  2. #2
    Optics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    50
    Thank Post
    9
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    18
    We use a clickview server for our digital video. Can't fault it really.

    ClickView - the digital video solution for schools

  3. 2 Thanks to Optics:

    australiana (18th February 2009), Fruity (17th February 2009)

  4. #3
    steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,043
    Thank Post
    22
    Thanked 177 Times in 123 Posts
    Rep Power
    51
    Saw this at BETT and it could be just what you need:

    Planet eStream

  5. Thanks to steve from:

    Fruity (17th February 2009)

  6. #4

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    420
    Thank Post
    41
    Thanked 64 Times in 62 Posts
    Rep Power
    25
    Hiyah .... What digital format are you saving the programs to? If you can save them to mpeg or avi then all you need to do is save each file to an accessable folder and the users can simply click on the appropriate file and play it in Media Player. Ive got a number of DVD's mastered down to mpeg files and it works a treat ... Best of all its free!!

  7. #5


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    339
    We have been doing exactly this since the beginning of the year.

    We used MythWeb MythWeb - MythTV for mythtv MythTV, Open Source DVR
    process is this: teachers email the librarian who schedules the recording.
    Once the recording is done, the librarian emails the teacher with a link to the video stream. Teachers play the stream through VLC. All the large files are stored on the video server (mythtv)

  8. #6

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    33
    Thank Post
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    Blimey... so many responses at such a late hour. Must be half term

    Right, I've asked for a demo of both Planet estream and Clickview, so I'll give them a bash over the next few days. Thanks for the tips.

    As for the file format, the edited files are saved in .TS format for burning to DVD and I've been converting these to Xvid using autoGK. This gives us a hard copy in the form of the DVD and a decent sized video file in the XVID. The TS file can then be deleted.

    Eventually we want to do away with the DVD version and just put everything on the network. The only downside with putting all our files into a folder on the server is there will always be people who will like to copy the files off the network, or you'll find multiple copies of the same files spread around the network. Also, keeping one eye on the future, it would be good to have a streaming system as at least one teacher has expressed an interest in having students access videos from home for homework etc.
    Last edited by Fruity; 17th February 2009 at 10:58 PM.

  9. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    3
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    how about using tversity? in my experience it works very well with transcoding video to xbox and playstation consoles, presumably it would work streaming to pc as well

    more information on streaming to pc here...

    http://forums.tversity.com/viewtopic...st=0&sk=t&sd=a

  10. #8
    australiana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    26
    Thank Post
    7
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    13

    Streaming to the home

    Clickview offers something called Clickview Home. It allows you to stream anything that is on the schools Clickview server (including stuff recorded from TV) into the student's home using Silverlight. Clickview Lite is something similar (but different!) and integrates with our VLE.

    In my humble whatever the Clickview Exchange is the 'killer app'. It gives you thousands of educational programs recorded from the telly shows for free.

  11. #9

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    67
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Fruity View Post
    Blimey... so many responses at such a late hour. Must be half term

    Right, I've asked for a demo of both Planet estream and Clickview, so I'll give them a bash over the next few days. Thanks for the tips.

    As for the file format, the edited files are saved in .TS format for burning to DVD and I've been converting these to Xvid using autoGK. This gives us a hard copy in the form of the DVD and a decent sized video file in the XVID. The TS file can then be deleted.

    Eventually we want to do away with the DVD version and just put everything on the network. The only downside with putting all our files into a folder on the server is there will always be people who will like to copy the files off the network, or you'll find multiple copies of the same files spread around the network. Also, keeping one eye on the future, it would be good to have a streaming system as at least one teacher has expressed an interest in having students access videos from home for homework etc.
    You need to be aware that the ERA license doesn't allow access to TV recordings from outside the school...

    Andy E.

  12. #10

    Hightower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cloud 9
    Posts
    4,920
    Thank Post
    494
    Thanked 690 Times in 444 Posts
    Rep Power
    241
    We use Media Streaming Service on a 2003 box. No complaints.

    Only problem is the format has to be WMV (which doesn't really bother us).

    Link goes on VLE directly to video, students click play, video plays.

  13. #11

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    33
    Thank Post
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by 7andY View Post
    You need to be aware that the ERA license doesn't allow access to TV recordings from outside the school...

    Andy E.
    Isn't the Use of Videos out of the school allowed under the ERA+ scheme?

    "From 1 August 2007 ERA will offer its licensees the opportunity to take out an additional licence which will enable licensed ERA Recordings to be accessed by students and teachers on line whether they are on the premises of their school, college or university, or at home or working elsewhere within the UK"

  14. #12

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Fruity View Post
    Isn't the Use of Videos out of the school allowed under the ERA+ scheme?

    "From 1 August 2007 ERA will offer its licensees the opportunity to take out an additional licence which will enable licensed ERA Recordings to be accessed by students and teachers on line whether they are on the premises of their school, college or university, or at home or working elsewhere within the UK"
    ERA and ERA+ are different licenses. Schools have always been licensed to access recorded content within the school under the standard ERA license. But in order to access content outwith the school you will require the ERA+ license.

  15. #13

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Liphook
    Posts
    49
    Thank Post
    3
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    15
    Do any of you have a system to limit the number of users watching a video at once? As in you rip a DVD to the system but only allow one user to watch it to keep things legal.

  16. #14
    australiana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    26
    Thank Post
    7
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    13

    DVD copyright

    Quote Originally Posted by DarrenM View Post
    Do any of you have a system to limit the number of users watching a video at once? As in you rip a DVD to the system but only allow one user to watch it to keep things legal.
    My understanding is that any ripping of copy-protected DVDs is not legal regardless of the number of simultaneous viewers. If, however, a movie is copied from TV then any number of viewers over the network is permissible and as indicated above can also be viewed outside the school over the internet by students and staff, for an educational purpose, if an ERA+ license is held.

  17. #15

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,631
    Thank Post
    514
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    831
    Quote Originally Posted by australiana View Post
    My understanding is that any ripping of copy-protected DVDs is not legal regardless of the number of simultaneous viewers.
    That's correct, yes. Unless you have gained written permission from the copyright holder of course.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. [Video] One of the funniest videos ever
    By nephilim in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2nd February 2009, 12:16 PM
  2. BETT Videos
    By russdev in forum BETT 2014
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 14th January 2009, 01:20 PM
  3. Youtube Videos
    By rush_tech in forum General Chat
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 28th November 2008, 08:03 AM
  4. IT Videos
    By My220x in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 3rd March 2008, 10:44 AM
  5. PE Exam videos
    By TechMonkey in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10th February 2008, 11:28 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •