+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Ghost 8 +PXE boot into ghost console in Technical; ok guys, here's an interesting problem, I wonder if anyone has an answer for it ;-p I want to boot ...

Thank Post

Ghost 8 +PXE boot into ghost console

ok guys, here's an interesting problem, I wonder if anyone has an answer for it ;-p

I want to boot from RIS PXE into the DOS ghost console so that the pc appears in the ghost console on the server... I am using ghost 8.0 Corporate.

I can use the boot wizard to add a menu option to RIS which boots into the ghost program for manual cloning, but NOT into the ghost console as the option in the boot wizard is grey'd out...

Anyone have any ideas?

Anyone know why the option would be grey'd out ?

Thank Post

Re: Ghost 8 +PXE boot into ghost console

Are you still having problems with this Inox? I assume when you say booting into the Ghost Console, you mean as part of a GhostCast session? If so, I had a LOT of problems trying to do this using 8.0, to the extent that I gave up completely. I've now upgraded to Ghost 8.2 & everything works a treat.

I'm not sure of a way to do it in conjunction with RIS, but you can select computers or machine groups in the Ghost Console to run the Clone task. Set this up with the image you want to use for the machine(s) and execute the task. With any luck, Ghost will reboot the machines and they bill boot straight into the Ghost DOS client. The session will then start transferring as soon as all the clients are connected.

Hope that helps...

Rob Cowan.

Thank Post

RobC - Yes still having issues. I have no problems with Ghost 8 like you described, and the console +DOS client is what i currently use however what I do wish to do is goto the RIS menu and select ghost DOS console and have it boot into that so that when i get a new PC out of the box I can PXE boot and do this instead of having to go through the crappy XP mini setup on neach pc and then install the windows client (using disks to boot into ghost and then send a ghost image of the DOS console is our current method although I have now managed to RIS boot into ghost.exe and can install DOS client from there, but this still takes more time. i simply want to boot straight into ghost DOS console client and not have to "send" this image out 1st.

Thank Post

Just wondering then... You say you can get into ghost.exe through the RIS menu on boot. Once in ghost, can you select a multicast? (GhostCast menu, Multicast) If so, you can fire up the Console on the server & from there run the GhostCast server manually. Enter a session name (I use Q cos it's easy), select your image name & accept clients. You then put in the session name on the client machine & it should find the session. Tell the server to Send when all clients are connected. No need to install anything on the client at all.

Let me know if that's any help...

Thank Post

I could do this, yes...and this is actually how i deploy the dos ghost client to the machines to make them visible in the server console and allow me to remotely control them. However this does not solve other issues for me such as being able to rename/join domains etc whilst cloning or deploying a bit of software that i forgot to include in the image or has been given to me just as i start the imaging process.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread