+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
How do you do....it? Thread, Holidays - Can you take them during term time? in Technical; Originally Posted by AWicher I have just come back from a 2 week holiday in Mexico taken the 2 weeks ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AWicher View Post
    I have just come back from a 2 week holiday in Mexico taken the 2 weeks school came back after Christmas. All i had to do was give a letter to the head and one for the governors, leave for a few months and get a nice letter back approving the time off. But there is a chance you could get a no. as said a few post back, you need to work out cover.
    I'll also add that the time i was off was paid holiday.

Thank Post
    If you are on a Full Time contract rather than term time + x days then the school is not allowed to impose limits to when you can take your holidays. They can refuse a holiday request if there are extremely good reasons why you can't at that time, a blanket 'no holidays in term time' is not allowed.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    If you are on a Full Time contract rather than term time + x days then the school is not allowed to impose limits to when you can take your holidays. They can refuse a holiday request if there are extremely good reasons why you can't at that time, a blanket 'no holidays in term time' is not allowed.
    Sorry, but yes they can. The school (or any employer) can dictate when you are and aren't allowed to take holidays.

The basics of holiday rights
    There is a minimum right to paid holiday, but your employer may offer more than this. The main things you should know about holiday rights are:

you are entitled to a minimum of 4.8 weeks times your usual working week (from 1 October 2007)
    the entitlement will increase to 5.6 weeks from 1 April 2009
    those working part-time are entitled to the same level of holiday pro rata (so currently 4.8 times your usual working week)

you start building up holiday as soon as you start work
    your employer can control when you take your holiday
    you get paid your normal pay for your holiday
    when you finish a job, you get paid for any holiday you’ve not taken
    bank and public holidays can be included in your minimum entitlement
    you continue to be entitled to your holiday leave throughout your ordinary and additional maternity leave and paternity and adoption leave
    Taken from
    Holiday entitlements: the basics : Directgov - Employment

At my last school we were term time only until I explained that the system would be taken down for two weeks when I was away as the backups wouldn't be done, and the fact that there would be no-one to supervise the major projects so they wouldn't be happening. In the end they agreed to change my contract to allow me to take my holidays at any time.

The school closure times are often the busiest periods for IT support nad to expect you to take your annual leave during your busiest time is crazy.

Thank Post
    I've got a week booked off during Term Time. As long as my two techs don't mind. That also means I'm in over the holidays when I'm really at my busiest. That's also how SMT see it. They also know how much I appreciate them allowing me time off during term times.

Thank Post
    well looking at it I think my holidays are not that bad...

we have just been allowed to take two non consecutive weeks during term time to allow us to catch up on the work that we cannot do during term time.

I am full time and there are 5 of us on the office and we are all the same.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I can take mine any time I like, as long as proper notice is given and they are not at the same time as my boss.

In fact, today is my first day back from a 10 day snowboarding trip in europe

Thank Post
    I'm pretty flexible with my two tekkies as long as nothing major is comming up then I don't have a problem. However in the almost two years I've been here I've had the grand total of 18 days holiday (out of 44!!) and that includes chrimbo !!!

Thing is most of our work gets done when the 'little darlings' and the kids aren't in so you can't really win. As I said to my MicroManager (sorry line managerish) you either let us have time off in term time or we'll all be off over the holidays and nothing will get done! Scholl management need to be reminded that us tech staff are human too!

PS RabbieBurns you jammy jammy g*t !! How was the snow and where'd you go?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by forcryingoutloud View Post

PS RabbieBurns you jammy jammy g*t !! How was the snow and where'd you go?
    Switzerland

Snowboarding - Advice needed!

Thank Post
    lucky for some of you.

Im fuming about this at the moment.

Booked off the last week of the summer holiday. my network manager cancelled it as there was crap loads of work to be done. I didnt kick off, and accecpted it to help out the school. Said that im happy with it on the basis that i was allowed a week off in term time to compensate for it, and it had to be pretty soon as i had a holiday booked and would have to put it back.

SO.. i ask for the next week off.. the week beggining the 7th sept... cause i was bein nice, AGAIN, and said that i wouldnt ask for the frist week of term off, as it would be busy.

Today (friday, as in the last day im suppsoed to be in b4 hols) I get told by the I.T HOF that the head kicked off and its not gonna happen. Becase guidelens say that we are NOT ALLOWED ANY TIME in the term.

Even tho im gonna loose money for the holiday i have booked, they dont give a toss.

Any one got ideas?

Thank Post
    @Abcos - Put in a bill for the holiday. I'd write explaining the situation to the governors and say you expect them to compensate you for the holiday and the time you have worked outside your contract. Also I'd state that in future you will not cancel holidays once booked, unless you get in writing, confirmation of compensation or the permission to take leave in term time.

Thank Post
    @Abcos: you already started two rant threads about it, keep it there please.

Thank Post

Smile

I'm able to take my annual leave almost when I please, as long as I'm mindful of workload and my boss agrees then it's all good and they are usually pretty good about it.

Only times I can't... September.

I'm one of those people who likes the summer holidays/half-terms so I can actually get on with things, so I prefer to take my leave when the kids are in.

Az

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12