+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
How do you do....it? Thread, Basic Technician Interview questions...? in Technical; Originally Posted by penfold I wouldn't say the head. I would say it depended on the problem. If you had ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold View Post
    I wouldn't say the head. I would say it depended on the problem. If you had 1 teacher who couldn't teach the class because of the problem or the head's was one of not knowing how to insert a picture into word, which would you do? The answer you give is not right or wrong but you must be able to justify what you're saying with a valid reason.
    Top marks :-)

The priority you assign to a job should depend on its impact and its urgency - the candidate might not use those words but they should understand the idea. Any half decent head (or other senior manager) won't mind having to wait while a class is sorted out but will get annoyed if they just get forgotten. As a follow up question, you could ask "how will you make sure that you don't forget to go back to the head" If they talk about logging it in the service desk software then give them the job there and then :-)

Thank Post
    I was asked to fix 2 "broken" PC's (both had a little "history" e.g. user had moved one PC to another desk) and then fill out a form for each. Not too hard, one had a loose RAM module, the other a loose network cable. I had to write down what was wrong, what I did to fix it, and what suggestions I'd give the user to stop it happening again.

Interview questions were to find out what other experience I had e.g. exam systems.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    pfft, we all know the real answer is "how far down my cup of coffee am I....?"
    No the real answer is does the Head or the teacher have chocolate biscuits to dunk in my coffee

4. Thanks to JJonas from:

ShaunJohnson (20th October 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrforgetful View Post
    Well obviously in an interview I'd be saying the Head, but we all know the teacher would be a lot more important
    What I'd be saying is whichever problem caused the biggest impact on T&L.

E.g Teacher is calling cos room of 30 PCs is off and they are about to start a lesson. Head calling because he needs a new toner.

Would you still say the Head gets first dibs?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnix View Post

I know I freeze in an interview (I forget my own name), but shine when given something practical.
    This is why you need to do both some kind of practical test and also an interview. Even a techie has to talk to people and if they can't do that bit then they might not be any good at the job.

This will sort the boys from the chaff.
    What about the women; don't they get a look in? I think there are some here who might be a touch peeved :-)

Thank Post
    Yeh we've got some practical stuff sorted, just didn't know where to start with questions really.

Thank Post
    I had the head question at my interview last year, and the obvious teacher response shouldn't be the correct one.

For instance

- the head can't log in
    - teacher has 30 kids and her wall computer won't come on....

Head would be the correct answer because you can fix that job in about ten seconds flat and one simple phone call, whilst the wall computer is the higher prority for the obvious reasons, yet it will take more time meaning you have two jobs one of which could of been resolved whilst you were getting up from your desk.

Also a good question although a rather random one is, If you could be a car, what car would you be and why? Its really something they can't think about before hand, and it shows how quickly they can think on there feet. Any one that can't think super quick will shout out a super car and then struggle on the response. Whilst anyone that can think will be able to answer both questions without pausing for too long.

P.S My answer was my fiesta because its quick at getting up to speed and once its there its happy to stay there without braking down and the other technicians answer was a land rover because it can do anything you throw at it without too much hassle.
    Last edited by mossj; 30th January 2009 at 09:14 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ahhh,

But the head can't log on because his network card as failed - no longer a 5sec job. And the teachers really means she forgot to push [Fn]-[F7] to get the display up on the IWB.

What if the head needs to get to his computer for an urgent report that needed for a governers meeting in the next 5 mins, but the teacher just wanted to show the kids an episode of the simpsons?

The correct answer is - you need more information to decide.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    What if the head needs to get to his computer for an urgent report that needed for a governers meeting in the next 5 mins, but the teacher just wanted to show the kids an episode of the simpsons?
    On a properly setup network the head should be able to access his work from any computer. If he can't understand this he needs a lesson from a cluebat.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jcollings View Post
    What I'd be saying is whichever problem caused the biggest impact on T&L.

E.g Teacher is calling cos room of 30 PCs is off and they are about to start a lesson. Head calling because he needs a new toner.

Would you still say the Head gets first dibs?
    Depends is OFSTED are in and the head is being called into a meeting and needs to print something out now.

Thank Post
    How about a member of staff comes and tells you the internet is down, walk me through a trouble shooting process.

Or how about.....

What do you think the benefits of IT in education are ?

or

What is the coolest/most exciting thing you have done with IT ?

or

Please describe some safety issues for students and staff with using the internet.

or

Windows/Mac/Linux, which is better, discuss....

or

What was your first computer.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by budgester View Post

Windows/Mac/Linux, which is better, discuss....

Thank Post
    What's there to discuss? We all know the answer.
    RISC OS?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C.Leblanc View Post
    RISC OS?
    You mean AmigaOS 3.1 surely? or maybe BeOS? No, it is AmigaOS (I get confused sometimes)

Thank Post
    I agree with jinnantonnix, I prefer the ones that ask how you would go about solving the problem as it allows you to see the thought process that goes on.

Q. Teacher is unable to logon, how you go about solving it?

A. Obtain more information before investigating the problem more before deciding on the correct way to solve it. If needed ask other members of the IT team/outside support/internet to troubleshoot problems that you dont know the answer to.

Simple answer could be user error and they were typing with CAPS lock on(how many times have you seen that ) Obtaining more information would allow you to narrow down the problem and try different solutions. Anyone who is going to work in a school would get my vote for getting as much info as possible for any problems given.

Too many times teachers put in requests such as "problem with my PC, can you fix it" Finding out if someone knows where/how to research problems and solutions is essential.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12