+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Private School broadband/internet connection in Technical; Hi all, My Dad has just started a new job at a school with no internet connectivity apart from dialup ...
    Thank Post

Private School broadband/internet connection

Hi all,
    My Dad has just started a new job at a school with no internet connectivity apart from dialup in the school office for e-mails. As a DT teacher he is keen to get some kind of internet connection. The school is quite out in the wilds so I should imagine will only get slower broadband speeds.

Does anyone have any school friendly recommended broadband suppliers or bright ideas regarding fibre, satellite, etc?

Cheers
    Jona

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Dial Up!

Do you have cable in that area?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If you're out in the stick with no hope of even the slowest ADSL line, let alone any hope of cable running past, then you only have two options.

1) Check with the major mobile phone companies and see if any of them have a 3G signal that reaches that location. I think this may be faster than the second option (depending on location/signal strength/etc).

2) There is satellite broadband...
    Welcome to our Homepage - BeyonDSL
    This uses your Dial-Up line for the upstream and satellite for the downstream. Costs from £199 to install and £19.99 per month. Basic speed of 33kbps/512kbps. If you go to the extra expense of upgrading the Dial-Up to ISDN then you can get 64kbps/512kbps - or even 128kbps/512kbps.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    Leased Line that will be an option, costly but still an option. Zen internet are good.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the replies so far guys.

It is a possibility that it is close enough to an exchange to get some form of broadband but it will be touch and go, that option is first to be investigated I guess.

There's certainly no cable of the Virgin Media, etc type.

Apparently they have tried "mobile broadband" type modems from one of the providers but from what I can gather it was much more 2g speeds than 3g.

Cheers
    Jona

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    One other option, though can be pricey and difficult to set up, is to bond 'a few' Dial-Up or ISDN lines. If ADSL is at all possible, however slow, it may prove to be the best solution.

Thank Post
    Hi

I know this will sound a bit daft but you might want to have a look at a mirowave link to another establishment or a satalite broadband.

One of the schools that I used to work for used to use them.

I am sorry I dont remember who supplied it sorry.

Richard

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ricki View Post
    Hi

I know this will sound a bit daft but you might want to have a look at a mirowave link to another establishment or a satalite broadband.

Richard
    Not a daft idea at all, the first school I worked in a few years bk had to go with a 6mb/s microwave link which was provided by the LEA, didnt really have any problems apart from when it really rained! lol

that was when boardband wasnt in the area!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,184 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jona View Post
    Hi all,
    ...has just started a new job at a school with no internet connectivity apart from dialup in the school office for e-mails.
    Sympathies; that was my school when I arrived. Fortunately we're in town, so Broadband was accessible. Problems caused by Bursar (now retired) who couldn't see why internet access was needed at all.

Your Dad is going to have to take care not to tread on toes with this. Get the SMT on board, or use a personal laptop with a mobile broadband link.

Quote Originally Posted by ricki View Post
    Hi

Richard
    This school is an independent, so piggy-backing off another school is probably not an option. Satellite Broadband may be more available, although I wouldn't write off the chances of getting a land-line immediately. You need to check out directly with some ISPs or BT

Thank Post
    JANET, the UK's education and research network | Janet

They do the education backbone in the UK. They provide uni's etc internet. They might do the school a connect.
    Last edited by matt40k; 26th January 2009 at 03:30 PM.

Thank Post
    First suggestion, EPS9 lines, try and get community/other schools involved (its a type of leased line), my old job had them run the line from the ISP to the school, then we provided the lines for other schools in the area (i.e. to the primary schools). You choose the line driver then, so you can manage the modem, our first one was 512Kb, but the connection was Ethernet (so ~10Mb).

Or broadband-over-satellite would be my second suggestion, or, and hit me if I'm confused, but BT used to do leased lines for schools, that were reasonable, at the time, BT could do a 1Mb for about a grand a year, and we were paying a grand (from the NGfL slush) for a 512Kb EPS9...

You could bridge several 512Kb lines of BB together, thats the other thing, if you have the funds and only 512Kb line speeds.

Thank Post
    Not sure if this is still relevant, but if you're still looking at a broadband option, the best thing to do would be to pop your postcode into the checkers at Samknows Broadband - Comprehensive Broadband Information. That will give you a rough estimate of your line length and also what options are available to you at your exchange. As a rule of thumb, ADSL's optimum distance is anything under 3Km, whereas ADSL2+ is around the 5Km mark. Let us know how you get on

Thank Post
    I am miles away from our local exchange. Anything over 512 gets a bit flakey so I have settled on 3x 512 connections, 2 different suppliers for redundency and then load balanced with a vigor 3300. Works very well indeed.

Ben

Unvalidated User
    Thank Post
    hmm can't think of any, but what is really the exact speed though?you need to get an up-to-date info about it because it surely help when you're planning an upgrade, to see your money's worth.right? go here, they have different internet speed tests.. academicbroadband(dot)com and you'll know the speed. hope this helps.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,696 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by geekinthePink View Post
    hmm can't think of any, but what is really the exact speed though?you need to get an up-to-date info about it because it surely help when you're planning an upgrade, to see your money's worth.right? go here, they have different internet speed tests.. academicbroadband(dot)com and you'll know the speed. hope this helps.
    The thread is over 2 yeasrs old...

But i am interested to know what you did in the end

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast