+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, M$ Academic Licensing - to "school agreement" or not??? in Technical; ...
    Thank Post

Lightbulb M$ Academic Licensing - to "school agreement" or not???

We've currently got a Microsoft School Agreement for our 250 or so PCs, in which we count up our computers once a year and pay for them for the year. The advantage of that is that we can then add as many computers as we like without worrying about licenses until the following year - as it covers all machines on site. This costs us about £26.50 per machine (IIRC).

The downside is that I've been doing a bit of blue sky thinking recently and I'm thinking of (a) buying perpetual licenses to save in the long run, and / or (b) converting some older PCs to thin clients with a terminal server. Under the School Agreement I'd still have to declare the thin clients as you have to declare every PC that is capable of running Windows (AIIRC).

Basically what I'm interested in knowing is if anyone has left a School Agreement, why, what you went to and ballpark what it cost

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    We left the school agreement some years ago, buying perpetual licenses has saved us many tens of thousands of pounds.
    Getting out of the SA has also encouraged us look at non-MS technology, which is often less problematic, has lower maintenance costs and is easier to integrate with other non-MS technologies.
    Another plus point of perpetual licensing is that you have more flexibility and are not quite so entrenched into MS's continual upgrade cycle, saving money in the long term with their increasingly high specifications.

MS have recently changed their SA licensing model, previously you needed to pay MS for every linux installation or thin client you had. but they have been really kind lately, and now you don't have to pay MS if you don't use their product (nothing to do with a threat of legal action from the EU of course....)
    So the saving we made by ditching the SA may not be as much as you would save.

3. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

BatchFile (22nd January 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    We left the school agreement some years ago, buying perpetual licenses has saved us many tens of thousands of pounds.
    Getting out of the SA has also encouraged us look at non-MS technology, which is often less problematic, has lower maintenance costs and is easier to integrate with other non-MS technologies.
    Another plus point of perpetual licensing is that you have more flexibility and are not quite so entrenched into MS's continual upgrade cycle, saving money in the long term with their increasingly high specifications.

MS have recently changed their SA licensing model, previously you needed to pay MS for every linux installation or thin client you had. but they have been really kind lately, and now you don't have to pay MS if you don't use their product (nothing to do with a threat of legal action from the EU of course....)
    So the saving we made by ditching the SA may not be as much as you would save.
    So is it Academic Open that you use now for Microsoft stuff now, or is there something else out there that I've missed completely?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We ditched the SA for XP, and have also gone to buying licences as and when needed. Only thing we do have have an SA for is Office 2003, although that will be stopped in April as we have switched our Entire facility (except the admin dept) to Open Office and Thunderbird.

We are switching to Linux soon and we have estimated that not having the licences has saved us £23'000 in the past 2 years, and will save us £6'000 next year. You got a very good deal at £26.50 per PC, our last Network Manager got fleeced by signing up to one that is £189.99 per PC! That did not make many people happy to say the least!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    You got a very good deal at £26.50 per PC, our last Network Manager got fleeced by signing up to one that is £189.99 per PC! That did not make many people happy to say the least!

Good Lord!

I think ours was about £29 a PC, but that covers all OS Upgrades, Full Office Suite and all necessary CALS for each.

I think we paid about £11k this year.

It's something I intend to look at closely over the next year. I do believe there is a buy-out rate available to convert your licences, but you have to have been tied in for a certain time.

Pete

Thank Post
    This is something I don't understand about MS licencsing. We buy our machines with an XP Pro licence. Why should you pay again with a subscription to MS. Apperently, and I have been told many times by suppliers they cannot provide a PC without an OS. We simply applied to Ramesys for a volume licence and CD for imaging purposes. Is somebody going to tell me I'm not licensing our comps properly

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    I paid £24.99 each per machine this year for my MS Desktop for Schools pack which is the Windows, Office, and Core Cals packs.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FragglePete View Post

Good Lord!

I think ours was about £29 a PC, but that covers all OS Upgrades, Full Office Suite and all necessary CALS for each.

I think we paid about £11k this year.

It's something I intend to look at closely over the next year. I do believe there is a buy-out rate available to convert your licences, but you have to have been tied in for a certain time.

Pete
    I wasnt there at our school when it happened. When I got there I immediately renegotiated it down to £26.99 per machine, but to say the least the people in charge were not happy he did it in the first place.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyRidal View Post
    So is it Academic Open that you use now for Microsoft stuff now, or is there something else out there that I've missed completely?
    I've not bought a MS license since about 2004, it's probably changed. Last I remember Ramesys sold us. I think we needed something to say we were a school.

I paid £24.99 each per machine this year for my MS Desktop for Schools pack which is the Windows, Office, and Core Cals packs.
    quick breakdown:
    office = £30
    Xp = £30
    tscals = £10
    server/exchange cals = £10 ??
    total say £80

If you replace/ renew software/hardware every 5 yrs then this should cost £16 per year. but you can be selective about which machines you put it on.

11. 2 Thanks to CyberNerd:

BatchFile (22nd January 2009), tmcd35 (22nd January 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jsnetman View Post
    This is something I don't understand about MS licencsing. We buy our machines with an XP Pro licence. Why should you pay again with a subscription to MS. Apperently, and I have been told many times by suppliers they cannot provide a PC without an OS. We simply applied to Ramesys for a volume licence and CD for imaging purposes. Is somebody going to tell me I'm not licensing our comps properly
    AFAIK the Windows licence in the SA covers UPGRADES to windows - you still need an OEM or whatever version, of some kind, to upgrade from. For this reason a few years ago I bought 200 Windows 3.1 licences for 20p each, just in case

What it means in practice is that new hardware needs to be bought with the cheapest M$ operating system available, like XP Home or Vista Home Basic depending on which way the wind is blowing, then your upgrade lic covers the rest.

Thank Post
    There is no full version of XP/Vista available through any volume license, so for the SA upgrade to apply it needs the base OS license. It can always be XP/Vista home or another qualifying OS (not that there are many, although I think OS X counts).

You pay twice (if buying with XP Pro) due to the fact that the Windows upgrade license is part of the core cal suite with schools agreement).

Thank Post
    There is no full version of XP/Vista available through any volume license
    I have the volume licence disk and key in front of me. I had to buy a minimum of 10 XP licences to qualify it to be a volume licence.

Thank Post
    and I have been told many times by suppliers they cannot provide a PC without an OS.
    Change your supplier, it depends where you buy your machines.

Thank Post
    I have the volume licence disk and key in front of me. I had to buy a minimum of 10 XP licences to qualify it to be a volume licence.
    The disk is the full version, it's just that every XP/Vista *license* bought through volume licensing is an upgrade license and needs a qualifying product.

Thank Post
    Change your supplier, it depends where you buy your machines.
    We use Stone and 3 years ago I tried getting machines with no OS. They just would not do it. I think it's something to do with MS partnership, obviously MS dont want companies selling comps without an OS. If you use smaller oufits then I guess they aren't bound by any agreements.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast