+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
How do you do....it? Thread, M$ Academic Licensing - to "school agreement" or not??? in Technical; Originally Posted by jsnetman We use Stone and 3 years ago I tried getting machines with no OS. They just ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jsnetman View Post
    We use Stone and 3 years ago I tried getting machines with no OS. They just would not do it. I think it's something to do with MS partnership, obviously MS dont want companies selling comps without an OS. If you use smaller oufits then I guess they aren't bound by any agreements.
    Hmm, I'm sure that counts as anti-competitive...

Thank Post
    Aria and Microdirect both will - but as I say you need something you can "upgrade from", so it's a false economy to buy them totally bare as you'll then need to get "Retail" windows rather than the cheaper OEM version that you can only get with hardware.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyRidal View Post
    Aria and Microdirect both will - but as I say you need something you can "upgrade from", so it's a false economy to buy them totally bare as you'll then need to get "Retail" windows rather than the cheaper OEM version that you can only get with hardware.
    Depends what you're going to put on it. I'm keeping my eyes open for a reasonable priced machine to replace lupin, and I'm certainly not prepared to pay for a Windows license that I'll never use.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    Depends what you're going to put on it. I'm keeping my eyes open for a reasonable priced machine to replace lupin, and I'm certainly not prepared to pay for a Windows license that I'll never use.
    I've had the same feelings myself about machines used as print servers etc. I guess it's down to the individual(s) concerned how literally you interpret the rules and how much common sense is employed.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    MS have recently changed their SA licensing model, previously you needed to pay MS for every linux installation or thin client you had. but they have been really kind lately, and now you don't have to pay MS if you don't use their product (nothing to do with a threat of legal action from the EU of course....)
    Do you have a link to this news? I'm looking to go TC on several machines, possibly using our current hardware until I can afford to buy thin clients outright, so could do with using this to reduce costs (I'd only be looking at office, TS CAL and Server CAL, and not OS, so about 8 per seat cheaper, and may then look at outright purchases of CALs/Office).

Thanks in advance

Thank Post
    (Microsoft School Agreement overview: Benefits, products, pricing, membership) Eligible PCs include all of the Pentium III, iMac G3 or equivalent or better computers. You must also include any other computers (such as older Pentium computers) on which any software will be run.
    So if you run your older PCs as linux clients, you would appear to be ok. I think.

Thank Post
    Problem for me is, some of the fat clients are P4s, but all they do is run basis desktop applications, no video editting, sound work, or anything strenuous is done on them, and I'd be looking to replace these in the future. CyberNerd's post seemed to suggest that if running linux, these would not be counted under the agreement, so was wondering where that info came from.

Thank Post
    me too, now! especially as it appears to be contradicted by the quote in my previous post which came from the M$ website today.....

Gar

Thank Post

Buying an OS when on MS SA

Quote Originally Posted by jsnetman View Post
    We use Stone and 3 years ago I tried getting machines with no OS. They just would not do it. I think it's something to do with MS partnership, obviously MS dont want companies selling comps without an OS. If you use smaller oufits then I guess they aren't bound by any agreements.
    It's nothing to do with a partnership, or any other agreement. The Schools Agreement entitles you to upgrade your OS to the latest version.

What you need to be careful of is that most resellers (Insight/Misco etc) don't want to open the box they're shifting, so they'll tell you you have to have the OS that comes on the system. At the moment you should be buying Vista Home Basic (if there are no ridiculous deals on Win95/98 COAs you can find). System builders (like Stone - mentioned above - or Ergo) should always ask if you've got a Schools Agreement and provide the most appropriate (ie. cheapest) OS.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12