+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, email disclaimer footer in Technical; our email system doesnt append any disclaimer or such to any emails sent from school email accounts. I was considering ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

email disclaimer footer

our email system doesnt append any disclaimer or such to any emails sent from school email accounts.

I was considering adding my own, just in case.

Should i bother?

Does anyone have a template text i could copy from?

Also, I have 4 different accounts set up in outlook. Is it possible to just set up a footnote for one account?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Unless otherwise agreed expressly in writing this email is to be treated as confidential and the information in it may not be used or disclosed except for the purpose for which it has been sent.

Please notify the sender immediately by email or the ICT Service Desk at itservices@yourdomain.sch.uk, if you have received this email by mistake and delete this email from your system.

Maybe something along the lines of above.
    Grumbledook might be the best person to answer your question though, as i think he is more clued up on the situation

Personally i think it might be worth putting some disclaimer on the bottom of your email's

James.

Template of one i know is used in some school's

The contents of all e-mail and any attachments are strictly private and confidential and may contain information which is subject to legal privilege. Such e-mail may not be used or disclosed under any circumstances by anyone who is not a named recipient. Please return the e-mail if you are not the intended or named recipient. Unauthorised use of the email or its contents is prohibited and may be unlawful. Incoming and outgoing e-mail is subject to continuous and ad hoc filtering, scrutiny and reporting. The school accepts no liability whatsoever for any damage, loss or expense arising from this e-mail and/or from the accessing of any files attached to this e-mail. This e-mail may not necessarily reflect the views or intentions of Bryandale Primary School or its governing body, who therefore does not accept any liability whatsoever for any claims, loss or damages of whatsoever nature, arising directly or indirectly, as a result of the reliance on such information by anyone. Unless the intention to contract has been expressly manifested in this message by a duly authorised representative of the school, this message shall not be construed as a solicitation to contract nor an offer or acceptance of any contractual obligations.

The addressee's address will not be disclosed to others for commercial intent.
    Please notify the school should you not wish to receive e-mail from the school.
    Last edited by EduTech; 28th December 2008 at 04:04 AM.

Thank Post
    I have our system (exchange 2003) set up so that we have a standard disclaimer added to all outbound emails, regardless of the user. That way we guarantee that it is attached. If anyone wants a copy of the script let me know

Thank Post
    Some interesting info and advice here

Email notices and email footers | OUT-LAW.COM

Particularly with regard to how much (or more interestingly how little) legal weight these things carry.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by actech View Post
    If anyone wants a copy of the script let me know
    yes please, actech

cheers

Thank Post
    rather than half a page of disclaimer, ours simply says the full name and address of the school and the fact we're a charity with our charity registration number and then a simple 'if you've received this message in error please notify postmaster@schoolname.co.uk and remove it from your system.'

We think that's all that's necessary, if you have one that's too long people just see it as an annoyance.

Mike.

Thank Post
    We have the following on all outgoing mail, (it could do with shortening a bit!) as we use Exchange 2007 it's a simple matter of adding a transport rule

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
    If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author
    and do not necessarily represent those of Maesteg Comprehensive School. The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses.
    Maesteg Comprehensive School accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.

If you feel that this message is in any way offensive, please forward the entire message to abuse@schoolname.lea.sch.uk

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by richardharris View Post
    yes please, actech

cheers
    All yours, instructions are in there!
    AddDisclaimerToExchange.zip

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Warning: dont use IE8 to download it, as it just corrupts

Cant see the instruction's though, sure it's not too difficult

James.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you are doing it from a legal perspective then I tend to point people towards Outlaw as they have it spot on, but if you are doing it from a preventative measure to limit damage should anything get out, then the disclaimer is the last part of the whole email policy.

1 - Educate all users that email is visible during travel and can / may be intercepted (treat it like a postcard).

2 - Educate all users that the sharing of emails without prior consent of all parties is a bad thing (tm). (You wouldn't share bank statements, medical notes or personal letters ... the fact that it is electronic makes little difference)

3 - Encourage people to think before pressing send. (Arrgghhh ... did I really send that email to the Head telling him that the school dinners are rubbish and that Jamie Oliver couldn't even save them?)

4 - The email footer can server numerous functions, from disclaimer ("oops ... if this email was not meant for you and you have it then let the IT guys know and they will sort it out ... also, please delete and forget you ever had it!") to marketing ("Deity High Academy is a leading light in the use of Gluons in education andmore infomation can be found at www.alberteintein.ru")

5 - and then start the education process again ... continue for a few years ... and then relax because a new system has been invented for people to pass info around and lose it!

Pretty much sums it up from my point of view ... anyone think anything needs changing slightly?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    Thanks

Warning: dont use IE8 to download it, as it just corrupts

Cant see the instruction's though, sure it's not too difficult

James.
    Sorry, My mistake.

basically you edit the 'eventsinkscript.vbs' file on lines 3&4 to add what you want to say in the disclaimer. There are two, one for html emails and one for plain text. Once you have changed it to suit your situation just place it somewhere on your email server and run the disclaim batch file. If worst comes to worst there is also a batch 'undisclaim' that reverses the action.

It is a handy script and I can't take credit for the creation of it. It was amongst a collection of tools & scripts that was left on the server by another tech.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I knew grumbledook would be the best person to answer this kind of questions thanks GD.

@atech cheers for clearing that up, something i've been looking at for a while

James.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by actech View Post
    Sorry, My mistake.

basically you edit the 'eventsinkscript.vbs' file on lines 3&4 to add what you want to say in the disclaimer. There are two, one for html emails and one for plain text. Once you have changed it to suit your situation just place it somewhere on your email server and run the disclaim batch file. If worst comes to worst there is also a batch 'undisclaim' that reverses the action.

It is a handy script and I can't take credit for the creation of it. It was amongst a collection of tools & scripts that was left on the server by another tech.
    Will this work on exchange 2003?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oops_my_bad View Post
    Will this work on exchange 2003?
    Yes it will work for exchange 2003 i belive that's what it was created for anyway.

James.

Thank Post
    Exchange 2003 is what I'm running.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast