+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
How do you do....it? Thread, Exchange 2007 in Technical; Originally Posted by john I've been designing an Exchange box and its very similar to yours pete, we would have ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    I've been designing an Exchange box and its very similar to yours pete, we would have around 500-600 accounts on it, use the OWA extensivly (I would make students use OWA over Outlook, but SMT and Admin will use Outlook, not decided on teachers yet), and was looking at a HP DL380 with Quad Core Xeon (or two as they appeared to be on free double CPU offer), 8GB Ram, and then 6-8 146GB SAS 15K Drives for it. As I've run exchange at 2 previous schools I know that it can be a beast at times and does enjoy a good spec box, and 2007 is no exception to that, so I'd rather have it overkill and then find in 6 months that its not being utilised as much as I planned and then perhaps run a VM on that box, say a VM Print Server, or something that will not "harm" the Exchange part of it but will mean I get some more value out of the hardware as it were.
    My thoughts exactly. I currently have 1421 Mailboxes on the current server. Been thinking about the whole Outlook or OWA, and am leaning towards having Outlook in School for all users and only have OWA for staff accessing from outside the School. I've been talking to another NM at another School locally who uses this approach.

More of a headache looking at the whole Filtered SMTP feed now, we have Sophos supplied to us for AV on the desktops and servers and am hoping to get PureMessage added to this agreement for our school. Just waiting further info so I can get pricing.

Cheers :thumbs:

Just nice to have a sanity check once in a while. I love this place!!!

Pete

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 805 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallwood_6 View Post
    The storage would seem a little ott for and exchange box.
    HA! right...

We've currently got 136gb for OS, 546 for dbs and 246 for backups...and we're gonna need more soon.

mind you, this is on a machine with 1500 mailboxes, but which is used by london/paris/riga/luxembourg and receives a high quantity of mail 24/7

We've also just pumped it up to 22gb of ram, with 2 quad core 3GHz processors

There's no such thing as too much resource for an email server, you never know how its gonna grow.

Thank Post
    1300 mailboxes and only 56gb in total including the OS here, students mailboxes restricted to 30mb and staff to 1gb.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12