+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
How do you do....it? Thread, Cost cutting in Technical; I used it in a previous school but the full version. The basic version does the same thing apart from ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,866 Times in 1,384 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I used it in a previous school but the full version. The basic version does the same thing apart from playing the video's in it. But thats a mute point as its used for music not videos

Thank Post
    Im not sure if im downloading the right file, the version i keep downloading says its a 14 day trial?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    Just downloaded and installed Ecofont ( Ecofont | Take a look at the Ecofont )

Looked a bit shady on the screen, but the printed result I can hardly tell the difference.

They claim it can save up to 20% ink.

Gonna test it for a while
    Free eco-friendly font saves ink and toner ? The Register

Do they get all their stories from here?

Thank Post
    I always like when people find cheap\better solutions to current programs. New teaching guidelines have recommended a wide range of tools then just one, Microsoft. However, Microsoft is still the biggest, end off. You must make sure you still keep this demon, even if it's just to one room

I think ideally a thin client approach would be good, in the future perhaps a better switching approach might allow staff to use linux for say, music class, then switch to windows for the next ICT class.

I only hope this doesn't make people overnight replace MS Office with Openoffice etc, there is some differences and they need to be planned for. Most importantly, don't moan about the software when your lack of planning in your latest cost saving advance back fires in your face.

Thank Post
    Not sure if anyone on this thread can confirm a bit I read somewhere but can't find again!

Under the Schools Agreement as I understood it you had to licence every 'computer' regardless of operating system (MAC, Linux as well).

Now the note I read suggested that Microsoft have changed the Schools Agreement such that you don't have to have CALS for boxes which are not running MS products.

If this is the case then linux thin clients would not need to be covered by Schools Agreement - this could be a significant saving as the use of thin clients grows.

The saving goes someway to offset the ridiculous price of Citrix!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    I always like when people find cheap\better solutions to current programs. New teaching guidelines have recommended a wide range of tools then just one, Microsoft. However, Microsoft is still the biggest, end off. You must make sure you still keep this demon, even if it's just to one room

I think ideally a thin client approach would be good, in the future perhaps a better switching approach might allow staff to use linux for say, music class, then switch to windows for the next ICT class.

I only hope this doesn't make people overnight replace MS Office with Openoffice etc, there is some differences and they need to be planned for. Most importantly, don't moan about the software when your lack of planning in your latest cost saving advance back fires in your face.

For each program we have replaced, all students and staff who have used them, have stated that they much prefer the use of the "new" programs compared to the old programs. They asked for copies and I freely gave it too them, which I would not have been able to do with licenced software. As for music tech, we have now switched it over to ubuntu studio which does more than we need it too in terms of music editing and creating!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,398 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Blog Entries
    On the schools agreement site, it still says "Organisation-wide coverage is required. All of the eligible PCs in the participating school(s) must be included. Where multiple schools are covered, a list of participating schools is required"

Thank Post
    Implying that you must license a PC that you don't intend to use it on? That can't be right, surely

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    Implying that you must license a PC that you don't intend to use it on? That can't be right, surely
    Yup, that's always been the case with the schools agreement. The only ones you don't have to license are ones that are permanently out of action, or those that are incapable of running windows. (or in the concept of terminal services, can connect to the server).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    thats how they can sting so much money in licence agreements!

Thank Post
    You won't need to license a linux (or MAC) client, that connects to a linux server, but as soon as that linux client connects (or uses authentication) to a windows server, it requires a CAL licence.

So yes, if you have Microsoft servers, every machine in your site, needs a Windows CAL.

If you dump all your windows servers...

Thank Post
    I hear that MS are reviewing the Schools Agreement with changes anticipated later in the year - can't get a forecast.

It appears they are under pressure regarding the 'any PC connecting to Windows server has to have a licence'. Let's hope they drop the 'any computer' in favour of 'those running an MS operating system'.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    I hear that MS are reviewing the Schools Agreement with changes anticipated later in the year - can't get a forecast.

It appears they are under pressure regarding the 'any PC connecting to Windows server has to have a licence'. Let's hope they drop the 'any computer' in favour of 'those running an MS operating system'.
    It isn't even 'any computer connecting to a windows server'. It is 'any computer, if it could run windows, regardless of the OS actually operating on it, that could possibly connect to a windows server - regardless of whether it does or not' has to have a license.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12