+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Encryption of school data in Technical; I got another sales flier through the post for a product called deviceshield which appears to encrypts data transferred to ...

Thank Post

Encryption of school data

I got another sales flier through the post for a product called deviceshield which appears to encrypts data transferred to a memory pen etc.

It has a quote from Becta

"... if your school does not have encryption now, you should stop all copying, removing or accessing protected data until you have software to encrypt files and protect the communication links accessing this data."

The question is how many schools are encrypting data leaving school on teachers memory pens etc as we certainly are not. We have the SIMS webparts and have the necessary SSL certificate installed etc, but nothing locally is on our network to prevent this.

Is this a realistic demand from Becta - when is the deadline to have this in place - now?

Thank Post
    We use truecrypt to encrypt all usb pens that are used within school. We are about to start encrypting laptops that will be used off site.

Thank Post
    Last I read on it, BECTA's stuff were just good practice guidelines...

I'd raise the question, if they have all the sims web parts... why do they need to take confidential info on a memory stick? (I've never seen the SLG let alone used it!)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPerceptron View Post
    Last I read on it, BECTA's stuff were just good practice guidelines...
    Yes, to help you fit into the way the ICO wants you to use and control data based on the latest interpretation of the law. It's like this ... if you do it then you aren't likely to get into trouble ... if you don't do it and something goes wrong you haven't covered yourself or the school. If you get told not to do it by someone further up due to time / staffing / costs then get it in writing and cover yourself.

Technology is not the only part of the solution on this ... educating staff is just as important.

Thank Post
    We are just in the process of rolling out Safeboot to all our laptops then it will be desktops. Seems to be a decent package and does the job for what we need.

Thank Post
    Joy - we have to jump though hoops and spend £throusands to encrypt a few word documents containing little or no personal data that teachers may take off site - and all because the govmt' seem to have been intent on sending CD's full of our personal, private data through the postal service????

Anvil to crack a nut anyone?

Butuz

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You don't need to spend loads of money on this technology is only part of the answer main thing is time..

Also lot of LAs will mandate that you follow the guidance. In Leicestershire the financial audit team who have far reaching powers will be checking you are following the guidance.

Russ

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    You don't need to spend £10000 on this technology is only part of the answer..
    I'm sure Capita are rushing to produce a security module to comply with becta's data handling requirements, and one way or another they will be passing the costs onto us.

but for now Becta recommend truecrypt which will encrypt entire USB drives, or laptop hard drives. It's really easy to set up and becta even provide documentation:
    Truecrypt is opensource

TrueCrypt - Free Open-Source On-The-Fly Disk Encryption Software for Windows Vista/XP, Mac OS X and Linux
    Becta Schools - Leadership and Management - Security - Data handling security guidance for schools

Thank Post
    Truecrypt is an excellent, stable product. I use a portable version on my USB to encrypt the data on it so I can access it from any PC. It's perfect for laptops too. Set up right it's as simple as typing in a password after you've booted up and an encrypted drive is mounted. You can save to it, back up to/from it, even defrag it.

I think it's worth encrypting USB sticks since it's very hard to erase data from them. Even most commercial "evidence eraser" packages don't wipe data from USB sticks properly due to the level-wearing system they tend to use. So sensitive data can stay on them for ages.

Thank Post
    Ok we learn something new every day that is what I like about this job!

One question? As standard .exe files can not be run from USB memory sticks as standard - does this mean the encrypted memory sticks will not work?

Cheers

Butuz

Thank Post
    You can set it up in different ways. I only have the portable TC executables on the stick itself because non many of the PCs I work on have it so I want to be able to access my data where I like. My admin rights allow me to run exe's from sticks OK.

The standard way of using TC is to install it on your machine and then store either a "file container" or partition (or an entire device) on the device you wish the data to be held - be that the HD of the PC or a removable memory device. You then point TC at the file/partition/device and tell it to mount it.

Does that actually answer your Q?

Thank Post
    Someone asked me what good is it when whoever steals a USB drive can just delete the container file... I proceeded to tell them that the encryption process was to prevent access to the information, not to prevent it being deleted. Some people get a bit confused.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    One question? As standard .exe files can not be run from USB memory sticks as standard - does this mean the encrypted memory sticks will not work?
    As standard on what? I presume you are running a CC3 network?

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    I got another sales flier through the post for a product called deviceshield which appears to encrypts data transferred to a memory pen etc.

It has a quote from Becta

"... if your school does not have encryption now, you should stop all copying, removing or accessing protected data until you have software to encrypt files and protect the communication links accessing this data."

The question is how many schools are encrypting data leaving school on teachers memory pens etc as we certainly are not. We have the SIMS webparts and have the necessary SSL certificate installed etc, but nothing locally is on our network to prevent this.

Is this a realistic demand from Becta - when is the deadline to have this in place - now?
    A letter sent, form what apparently looks like the SSAT to all SSAT schools which is basically just pure marketing drivel. I think this is deplorable to be honest. They point the Heads at a Becta paper but not at the suggested Open Source solution, instead offering what I expect to be an overpriced piece of standard (read 'buggy as hell') educational piece of software.

"you should stop all copying, removing or accessing protected data until you have software to encrypt files"...I'll just get my magic wand out and sort that out before the end of term, yeah?

Thank Post
    We've been receiving fear-mongering software offers for a while now. Notice to any advertisers listening in: I will not buy from you if you engage in this behaviour - FUD is not welcome.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast