+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, AD & VLE (Moodle), Mail (Zimbra), MIS (SIMS .Net) in Technical; Morning folks, Bear with me on the adventure we're all about to have. - We have an idea, and we're ...

Thank Post

AD & VLE (Moodle), Mail (Zimbra), MIS (SIMS .Net)

Morning folks,

Bear with me on the adventure we're all about to have. - We have an idea, and we're keen to play with it but would welcome input from the masses of experienced users on here.

We currently have AD working fine, staff usernames are STAFFxyz (where xyz is their assigned staff code in SIMS), and students are xy01 (where xy is their forename and surname initial and an incrementing number) all stored in OU's by year of entry.

We have an in-house developed Intranet using aspx which runs a sims report each night, identifies new students, creates a record for them in the intranet (uses their UPN/adno to ensure unique) and creates this account over on AD and prints off a helpful reminder sheet with basic aup therein. - This works fine. (This also disables/deletes accounts when staff/students leave, and provides us with a bulk import facility if needed for special accounts)

We have recently introduced Zimbra as a mail solution for both staff and students, and have decided that as students currently do not have email, we'd use them as a pilot so we've through the intranet created a service which we can "ask" for information from our SQL DB powering the Intranet. This means that Zimbra can ask for information to create accounts "on the fly" in Zimbra with LDAP authentication back to AD. This allows us to keep zimbra up to date as the intranet is our most accurate representation of data outside of SIMS. (We used to use SIMS directly but they kept moving the goal posts!)

Now, in the last few days, I've been toying with moodle because county's platform is shockingly unreliable and have noticed that not only will it use LDAP authentication to create (and update!) student accounts with AD but that we can populate courses etc through SIMS fairly automatically.

I'm wondering whether for this directive that parents must be able to obtain information on their children; attendance, behavioural etc whether we could do this ourselves by linking in our intranet the UPNs/Adno's of the students and the unique person identifier for the priority one contact, create them an account in AD (or directly into moodle) and through some kinky php code get the desired information from SIMS rather than 'needing' a sharepoint solution for the SIMS webparts.

Am I barking, or has anyone else considered tying in their existing systems to provide the needed information without the seemingly needed complications and expense?

Grateful for opinions and views.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    We currently have AD working fine, staff usernames are STAFFxyz (where xyz is their assigned staff code in SIMS), and students are xy01 (where xy is their forename and surname initial and an incrementing number) all stored in OU's by year of entry.
    Our staff's usernames are intial+surname, pupils are yearJoinedY7+surname+initial. We have OUs by year of entry into Year 7 (we start from nusery, so this gets a bit confusing) and security groups for form groups / classes.

We have an in-house developed Intranet using aspx
    Sissy. Ours uses Python and Perl :-) Admittedly it's still a bit patchy in places...

Am I barking, or has anyone else considered tying in their existing systems to provide the needed information without the seemingly needed complications and expense?
    It looks like we've both been thinking pretty much exactly the same thing - update AD/LDAP from SIMS regularly, then have everything else simply authenticate via LDAP - Moodle, any other web-based applications, whatever. I'm aiming for a Zimbra server, too, but I don't know if I'll get around to it any time very soon - we only got the AD server up and running at the end of the summer, so there's still lots of catching up to do.

--
    David Hicks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread