+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Daemon Tools drive letter in Technical; Hey I just wondered if anyone like us had the problem with having the change the drive daemon tools get ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,328 Times in 808 Posts
    Blog Entries

Daemon Tools drive letter

Hey
    I just wondered if anyone like us had the problem with having the change the drive daemon tools get assigned (by default it gets the next drive letter free) to something static like H: for the whole school?
    If so I think I may have a solution. I created a little program which does it for you. All you do is run the exe on your base daemon tools machine, with the dumpdrives switch and you get a log file with the id's of your drives. Grab the ID for your version of daemon tools (or any drive really) and then pass it with a setletter=H into the exe and it will remap daemon tools after a reboot.
    Its MSI'ed as well and supports a transform the change the driveid to something else in future.
    Just wondered if there was a point me uploading and sharing it with you all.

Anyone interested?

Thank Post

Re: Daemon Tools drive letter

BTEWin seemed to do the trick for me last time I used it - have since done away with D: network drive and all my other drives are above the first free one, so haven't needed it.

http://es.geocities.com/jpisoft/

I think the command in the script was DaemonLetter 0,drivelettertouse to change the drive letter for the first virtual CD drive...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Yeh but I did not want to install that vdesk crud as well.
    And I dont think its MSI'ed. We use H here for ISO images of multimedia with DaemonUI scripting to mount and execute the cd.

Thank Post

It's possible (but a bit crude) to manipulate the registry entries under HKLM\System\MountedDevices. If you rename the appropriate \DosDevices\(driveletter): to the letter you require
    e.g. \DosDevices\E: to \DosDevices\H:
    and then reboot, it seems to work. The trick is making sure you rename the right one!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Aha thats what my prog does. You just send it the deviceid (aka the string not the binary of the value of the drive you want to rename) and the letter you want it to change it too. If it finds it, then it changes the entry. There is also a dumpdrives var so you can get the driveid without messing with the registry (copy and paste does not work with the string of that binary), it just dumps it in the text file in the same dir.
    MSI deployment is ace also.

Thank Post

@ZeroHour: I just re-read your original post. I read the first couple of lines and thought you were looking for a solution, not offering one. Yes please, your app and MSI sounds a lot better than my cruddy VB script. Please post it. I for one would be most appreciative!

Thank Post

@ZeroHour: BTW, have you looked at V4 of D-Tools yet? Sadly no MSI I understand. I put it on a test PC and couldn't really see any difference.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Yeh but I know 3 works. Dont know how it took them so long. Or whats so different too

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

It uses IDE emulation instead of SCSI. Doesn't affect anything you'll do with it but it's important if your being naughty and trying to avoid the blacklisting caused by SafeDisc copy protection.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    Hey
    I just wondered if anyone like us had the problem with having the change the drive daemon tools get assigned (by default it gets the next drive letter free) to something static like H: for the whole school?
    If so I think I may have a solution. I created a little program which does it for you. All you do is run the exe on your base daemon tools machine, with the dumpdrives switch and you get a log file with the id's of your drives. Grab the ID for your version of daemon tools (or any drive really) and then pass it with a setletter=H into the exe and it will remap daemon tools after a reboot.
    Its MSI'ed as well and supports a transform the change the driveid to something else in future.
    Just wondered if there was a point me uploading and sharing it with you all.

Anyone interested?

Sorry to be dragging up an old thread, but I was wondering if I could have a copy of this MSI?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread