+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
How do you do....it? Thread, Approx Costs for new ICT Suite in Technical; ahhh thats my mistake then, cheerfully disregard the comment then...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,867 Times in 1,385 Posts
    Blog Entries
    ahhh thats my mistake then, cheerfully disregard the comment then

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Although an entire room of machines conencted via fibre would be impressive! Especially at 10GB I think you can now get copper 10gb connections can't you? (Wait for Geoff to confirm )

Wes

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We paid about 50k per room when we redid our 3 the summer of 07. That included completely gutting the rooms, and starting from scratch, new power, new power feeds, new switches, fibre, benching, carpet, painting, network cabling, machines and screens, smartboard, projector etc...

(btw. I recommend Sebel chairs, they're superb - difficult to lean back on, 10 year guarentee, no metal bits to damage the carpet).

Thank Post
    I never had to build an IT suite as it wasn't my job, but i can vouch for the Sebel chairs! Bought a shed load of them and never had a problem.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FragglePete View Post
    It's not just the PC's, but obviously Data & Power (with appropriate infrastructure), Projector, Whiteboard, Amp, Speakers, Air Con, Software Licencing, Printers, etc.
    As I've mentioned in a couple of other posts, I'm currently trying the ultra-thin-client / desktop-virtualisation NComputing devices. One PCI card (around 300) lets a PC control 6 screens. Assuming you'd go with Windows rather than Linux, you'll have to get Windows Server 2003 for each PC and device CALS, but at education prices that's still only around 300 for a half-dozen workstations. Assume 100 per monitor, maybe 300 for the actual PC, that's around 1,500 per six Windows workstations. For 30 workstations you'd need 5 machines, call it 8000. You would then only need half a dozen or so network points in the room, you'd need around half the number of power points of your normal room, and 5 PCs shouldn't put out that much heat so you can go for very basic air conditioning.

Someone like Advanced Connections will very competently install you a projector with speakers and mini (but very good) amplifier for around 1,200. Spend 100 on a top-of-the-range bluetooth wireless keyboard and mouse or splash our around 300 on a Mimio or e-Beam if you really have to have an IWB.

You are best off getting a decent large printer/copier on a rental agreement, but you can get refurbished HP 4600DTNs from eBay for 300 each (budget at least 2,000 per year for toner, mind).

So, I figure 10,000 for the IT equipment, plus however much you want to spend on desks or benching, chairs, aircon (if any), networking.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Last few Suite's I've built have come to around 30k per room. But that's with thin clients.

The rooms will also pay for themselves over 5 years due to low power usage (compared with fat clients).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12