+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, User permission setting in Technical; Just set up a new domain and I'm seeking advice on setting permissions. Specifically, we have a Resourses folder in ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

User permission setting

Just set up a new domain and I'm seeking advice on setting permissions. Specifically, we have a Resourses folder in our Teacher Directory that all teachers both those networked and accessing via non networked computers in the school need to access.

As I said the folder currently lives in the Teachers directory with their home folders which have the usual user access permissions set. Would I be right in thinking that I need to move this folder outside the Teachers Folder and set permissions specificially on it - if so in view of the notebook etc access what's the best way to control access to it?

Thank Post

Cool

Hi,

Stick the folder on the root of the Server's Storage Volume and share it out as StaffShared and one for Students as StudentShared, then just map the drives when they logon using a batch script?

As for permissions, I would set up departmental fodlers withing the StaffShared Drives and group your department members in AD, the assign the permissions on the specific Department Folder. Plus have a Global Folder that all departments can access.

Do the same for the StudentShare but spilt it up into Year Groups then Department. I would suggest both folders that Students can Write/Read to but also folders that they can only Read from so that Staff can drop work in there for them to copy to their own work areas? Another good idea is to have an Inbox system where students can write files but not read or change or execute, this works well for dropping of homework, as once its on there other students cant copy it.

Dan

3. Thanks to danrhodes from:

speckytecky (3rd December 2008)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,168 Times in 1,603 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by danrhodes View Post
    Hi,

Stick the folder on the root of the Server's Storage Volume and share it out as StaffShared and one for Students as StudentShared, then just map the drives when they logon using a batch script?

As for permissions, I would set up departmental fodlers withing the StaffShared Drives and group your department members in AD, the assign the permissions on the specific Department Folder. Plus have a Global Folder that all departments can access.

Do the same for the StudentShare but spilt it up into Year Groups then Department. I would suggest both folders that Students can Write/Read to but also folders that they can only Read from so that Staff can drop work in there for them to copy to their own work areas? Another good idea is to have an Inbox system where students can write files but not read or change or execute, this works well for dropping of homework, as once its on there other students cant copy it.

Dan
    That's exactly how we do it here

We also have an OfficeShared used by the admin staff (bursar, secretary, registrar, HT, H&S) for their stuff.

5. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

speckytecky (3rd December 2008)

Thank Post

Cool

Yep we have and AdminShared and also a TechShared and all are mapped depending on what user loggs on, It just makes life easier.

Dan

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread