+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Remote access for staff and students in Technical; It's going to happen soon or later. It's probably better I have a proposal put together before SMT come in ...

Thank Post

Remote access for staff and students

It's going to happen soon or later. It's probably better I have a proposal put together before SMT come in with one of their well thought out directives

So geeks what do you do?

VPN or web(e,g, OWA), reverse proxy, ISA, SmoothWall, on-site VLE, appliance or server (Windows or Linux). Most important of all security.

Remote access would be great boost for learning and admin but I'm just afraid of extending the network perimeter into people's homes with all that would mean security and confidentaility.

Can it be done with out bringing the walls down

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,520 Posts

Re: Remote access for staff and students

This topic has been done several times recently so a search would throw up some good information if you then need other gaps filling in please ask specific questions.

Ben

Thank Post

OK I guess I deserved the RTFx. I should have searched for VPN as that brings up more relevant hits.

I may post a list of the best ones (IMHO) a little later.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,378 Times in 842 Posts
    Blog Entries

We have had OWA/OMA and Terminal Services running currently. About the secure it all through a VPN soon. ISA Server 2004 rocks for this stuff. So simple to secure.

Thank Post

If security is of prime concern, Citrix will allow you to further secure your remote access.

You have the ability to configure policies that prevent users accessing local devices and copying data from your secured network. This means that you can stop people collecting pupil data on their home systems from your MIS.

If this seems a little complex and all you really want to do is give access to files and email, OWA and webfolders (see other threads) should be sufficient.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,378 Times in 842 Posts
    Blog Entries

We got a couple of PIX 510's here infront of ISA but we found isa could do more of what we wanted. You can use group memberships to filter what servers and ports on the internal network they can see. Its very good.

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,334 Times in 919 Posts
    Blog Entries

Access To School Network From Home: Staff And Students

I have been tasked with enabling Staff and Student access to the school network. I have been given the option to look at both access to nominated network shares [My Documents, Shared Resources, Central Homework Drop,....] and full desktop logon.

I have ideas for both but I feel that I will need more suppliers [and in a hurry] The suppliers I have been calling are not getting back to me [don't want to list them here because I do not want it felt that I am running down their service.

What I can say is that I have one quote in hand for Ranger Outpost from Ranger themselves [not a reseller]

I cannot use an RM product because we have a vanilla network. I am unwilling to consider any Viglen products, having fairly recently got rid of the last vestige of Viglen from our network.

Can anyone name any other solutions, which can be bought in, to giving remote access to nominated network shares from home? Also the companies/resellers I would need to get in touch with.

Full desktop access: We have identified Sun Global Desktop as one possible solution. Are there others, for a vanilla network, that I could deploy or have engineers deploy onto our network on my behalf? Again I will need as many contact details as possible.

I would not be asking this in this way but I have made little progress on this myself and I will need to start fleshing out a plan very soon.

Many thanks.

Solutions like LogMeIn, GoToMyPC,... are no use as these are blocked by our ISP.

Also we have a limited VPN as supplied by our ISP [limited to 10 concurrent users: So not good enough to cover Staff and Students from home when an assignment is due and report deadlines are looming]
    Last edited by DaveP; 22nd November 2009 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Add detail to the post.

Thank Post
    Currently testing MS Forefront UAG.

covers internal websites, owa, networked files, rdp, TS, direct access, vpn.
    cross domain support
    refined user control.
    client baseline testing and enforcement
    ie, firefox and safari support.

64bit only
    4-8gb ram needed.

Thank Post
    we use Sun SGD here, links into the thin client system and seems to be quite robust, its also used as the only means of teaching staff accessing Sims.net meaning that upgrades are no longer an issue. ITS just do the upgrade on 5 terminal serves and job done.

from my point of view its great as it means I can get to anything i may have left on the network anywhere using just about anything that supports Java.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Hi, what type of access do you use through the appliance, is it desktop logon or access to network folders?

Thanks

Thank Post
    We use Citrix here - its a very nice (if not cheap) solution - and gives access to most of what staff would have on their internal desktop.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread