+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Supervised Coursework done only in class for new A Levels/GCSEs? How.... in Technical; With the new Music and Music Technology A/S Levels this year, and new versions of other exams coming next year, ...

Thank Post

Supervised Coursework done only in class for new A Levels/GCSEs? How....

With the new Music and Music Technology A/S Levels this year, and new versions of other exams coming next year, how are you planning on making sure that the students can only do their coursework in the allotted supervised hours?

They can't work on their coursework outside their allotted hours so we don't want them to be able to save their work to their own USB sticks/Network drive etc.

We are thinking of making a very locked down user logon, which the member of staff will log on to all the PCs in the classroom. It will have no access to any network storage. No access to their School email. Then give each student will be handed a USB stick from their teacher at the begginning of the lesson on which they can save their work. It must then be handed back to that teacher at the end of the class.

Ideally no access to the internet (so they can't get to personal emails Hotmail etc to store the file).... but I would think they will need access to so that they can do some of their work.

What ideas have you guys come up with so far to solve this dilemma?

Thank Post
    We have started having discussions about Controlled Assessment to prepare for next year. From the feedback I've received from department heads EdExcel are quite explicit about students work not being accessible outside of the scheduled lesson time. It seems QCA may not be so firm on this.

At the moment the only practical solution we have found has been the one you mention TheFopp, lots of USB sticks and a single locked down account with no internet/email/network drives access. Teachers hold on to USB sticks, as they would have with paper assessment in the past. While we think this would meet the requirements, we need to allow for memory stick failures and how backups could be done without it becoming a massive job.

We have used extra exam logins for IT exams when it's been just a dozen students or so. I'm not sure I see this has a scalable solution for all departments doing controlled assessment. Could be a bit of a nightmare in terms of setup/permissions/enabling accounts at the right time/collecting work.

Since TheFopp posted this has anyone made any progress on alternative solutions? I'm close to saying LanSchool could solve this problem by automating the collecting and distribution of work. At the moment I can't get it to work though.

Thank Post
    We are planning to create them an account (possibly based on their exam candidate number). This will be internet disabled (although we may have to look at whitelisting certain sites if they need them).

They can save work to the network etc but it will be in the new account's my docs. The accounts will be enabled/disabled when needed (possibly by the teacher concerned).

I think our problems are going to be more about all the departments having enough access to ICT for the required length of time without disrupting IT teaching.

Thank Post
    Well, I am hoping that our Music dept teach a different board, as they've not said anything to me about this.

But, if they do, we have laptops for the Music, so the easy solution is to drop the wireless from them (create a local user for the student). Then the teachers will have to control access to each laptop within the class.

The only problem will be arranging backups.

Which board and course are doing this, so I can check with our Music dept ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by User3204 View Post
    Well, I am hoping that our Music dept teach a different board, as they've not said anything to me about this.

But, if they do, we have laptops for the Music, so the easy solution is to drop the wireless from them (create a local user for the student). Then the teachers will have to control access to each laptop within the class.

The only problem will be arranging backups.

Which board and course are doing this, so I can check with our Music dept ?
    It's not just music. Controlled assements are part of the new GCSEs in lots of subjects - English, Geography, Business etc.

Thank Post
    We're doomed I tell ye; DOOMED!!! Sounds like a typical board "Bright Idea".

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jcollings View Post
    It's not just music. Controlled assements are part of the new GCSEs in lots of subjects - English, Geography, Business etc.

gah !

Well, in which case, they can do them the same way that Art have been doing it since my day... Pen and Ink.

The only people that have asked me for anything like this is the D&T people, who will have to start producing a Portfolio in digital format. They have been told that PowerPoint is the best software to do this in... really... are you sure ? PowerPoint ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by User3204 View Post
    gah !

Well, in which case, they can do them the same way that Art have been doing it since my day... Pen and Ink.

The only people that have asked me for anything like this is the D&T people, who will have to start producing a Portfolio in digital format. They have been told that PowerPoint is the best software to do this in... really... are you sure ? PowerPoint ?
    Beats Publisher The only dept that has spoken to me is Music and the Music teacher is a great person and talks to us about these things as she knows it will need our help to get it sorted (and in some cases our support of bashing the powers that be for more cash to help make it work for her) but I do know its coming, I'm awaiting the sea of panic that will arrive, hopefully in September after the sea of Audits and Inspections of policies, procedures etc that seem to all have arrived at once

Thank Post
    We're going to have at least 4-5 departments after a solution to this for next year. Although it seems not all may need a water tight solution.

I'm in contact with Lanschool at the moment to look at tweaking their sending/collecting files feature. So we could restrict the internet and network drivers from a suite. The students then work in a local folder on the PC's and at the end of the session the teacher clicks a button on Lanschool and it collects all the work and saves it somewhere secure - with each in a folder with the students username. Then at the start of the next session it can distribute the files back out to the correct machines and they can resume. So it would be similar to the USB memory sticks solution without the cost and no worries about them dieing on us.

Thank Post
    Could this be achieved using the Logon Hours feature in Active Directory? Give the students a second account, and put the timetable into the logon hours feature. It's not the most flexible, but it means you have a cohesive system.

Thank Post
    Why not just create a few accounts for which the teachers know the passwords, but students don't? The teachers can then log the students in as and when needed.

We use this method for our Naughties with reasonable success (although often the teachers forget the passwords, so I have to log them in, but with practice this wouldn't happen).

Thank Post
    Giving the students a second account worries me a bit - it's quite possible that every student in the year could do some controlled assessment in at least one department what if they could overlap? would we need -another- login to ensure students can't access their other coursework in order to comply with the exam board? All these extra logins add a lot of complications in terms of managing passwords and collecting completed work before these extra logins get reused for different coursework. The teachers are going to have to let me know when and what accounts to collect work from - I could go on and on.

As I think I posted before, we use extra logins if it's just one class but I think it becomes too larger maintenance task doing a whole year with multiple subjects.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricks View Post
    it's quite possible that every student in the year could do some controlled assessment in at least one department what if they could overlap? would we need -another- login to ensure students can't access their other coursework in order to comply with the exam board?
    Not if the extra accounts were MusicExam1, MusicExam2 and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricks View Post
    The teachers are going to have to let me know when and what accounts to collect work from
    Not if it the accounts are "controlled" by the teachers, i.e. the teacher notes down that MusicExam1 is being used by Fred, MusixExam2 by Johnny and so on. The teacher - who knows the passwords - logs in at whatever point, collects the files and sends them off. This will initially require some training when first introduced, but given proper training and a decent set of instructions, the teachers should be able to fly more or less solo in the second year.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    but given proper training and a decent set of instructions, the teachers should be able to fly more or less solo in the second year.
    HA! Can I quote you on that next year? Ours can't log-on without someone to hold their hands. OK, a bit of an exaggeration but...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    HA! Can I quote you on that next year? Ours can't log-on without someone to hold their hands. OK, a bit of an exaggeration but...
    Yes, I reckon that if you take the time to talk people through it, ideally showing them it in action on an Inset session, and give them instructions with screen-shots then they will be able to do it. Teachers aren't stupid, after all, so really should be able to follow a set of well-written instructions. Anyone not able to do so, it is more likely a question of computer-confidence than it is of ability.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast