+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
How do you do....it? Thread, Supervised Coursework done only in class for new A Levels/GCSEs? How.... in Technical; Originally Posted by NickJones Not if the extra accounts were MusicExam1, MusicExam2 and so on. Not if it the accounts ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    Not if the extra accounts were MusicExam1, MusicExam2 and so on.

Not if it the accounts are "controlled" by the teachers, i.e. the teacher notes down that MusicExam1 is being used by Fred, MusixExam2 by Johnny and so on. The teacher - who knows the passwords - logs in at whatever point, collects the files and sends them off. This will initially require some training when first introduced, but given proper training and a decent set of instructions, the teachers should be able to fly more or less solo in the second year.
    That may well be an option, but the scalability still worries me. I know, for example that Business Education have over 60 students. So even if I create accounts in bulk it's still going to require a lot of preparation and sharing of the home drives of these accounts with the right teachers and keeping track of which student is using which of these 60 accounts is no small task. Since the account names are generic the teacher would also have to a fair bit of moving/renaming to ensure work is connected to the right student.

As Andrew says, I think some of this moving of files would trouble quite a few of our teachers, could get quite confusing. Although probably something we could support them through.

Thank Post
    The teacher - who knows the passwords - logs in at whatever point, collects the files and sends them off.
    I can see the added overhead eating up lesson time and annoying a lot of teachers

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricks View Post
    So even if I create accounts in bulk it's still going to require a lot of preparation and sharing of the home drives of these accounts with the right teachers and keeping track of which student is using which of these 60 accounts is no small task.
    Why share the home directory? If the teacher knows the password, they just log in to it themselves and transfer the files onto a pen drive. As for keeping track of who uses each account, this is surely no more complex than the teacher writing "MusicExam2" by their name in the register.

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    I can see the added overhead eating up lesson time and annoying a lot of teachers
    It is true there would be some overhead, although it shouldn't take all that long. MFL teachers are (potentially) going to find this anyway when the exam boards insist on MP3-format oral exams next year, and music teachers must have been getting it with practical exams for years, so if other subjects' rules impose similar overheads, what's the difference?

Alternatively, perhaps you could ensure that the students save files following a particular naming convention and then you could run a batch file to collect the files called "Exam Piece Music [candidate number].doc" from all the folders, and transfer them somewhere for the teachers to pick up. Once the script is written, you would just need double-click on it once a year.

I could be over-simplifying this, though. It could be that something which would be acceptable in a small school like this one would take too long in larger schools with more candidates...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Has anyone been in touch with the exam boards to ask how they would suggest this issue is controlled? Surely they've thought of how their demands will be implemented by schools?

They might come up with all these "bright ideas", but probably haven't considered the impact it will actually have down on the ground.

5. Thanks to webman from:

bossman (21st October 2009)

Thank Post
    It is true there would be some overhead, although it shouldn't take all that long. MFL teachers are (potentially) going to find this anyway when the exam boards insist on MP3-format oral exams next year, and music teachers must have been getting it with practical exams for years, so if other subjects' rules impose similar overheads, what's the difference?
    MFL oral exams in mp3 format (already happened this year) and music practical exams using Sibelius (done for ages) and History individual study exams (5yrs+) are obsessively well-planned once-a-year events with an appropriate level of bulletproofing from all involved - a well-oiled and perfectly polished machine would be an appropriate term.

Whereas controlled coursework has to fit in and around other lessons, goes on for longer and so can't have the same level of intense cockup-prevention monitoring applied to it (from my perspective - there aren't enough hours in the day as it is). In addition, with the exception of the above subjects, the majority of our teachers are complete noobs to computer-based assessment.

My concern is that the provision of alternate accounts / methods may be too onerous for certain teachers to use, leading to a reluctance to let kids use computer-based resources for coursework. That's what I need to fix before it becomes a problem.

Thank Post
    We are having the same issue. We are looking at the same solution: get the teachers to control the enable/disable of accounts. The down side is that they could need a separate account per subject. You can't use AD's logon hours restriction because, if like us your lessons are 45 mins long, you will have an overlap between it being enabled/disabled. I will be contacting QCA to see if they have any thoughts.

Thank Post
    I am interested in this also.

We simply do not have the facilities to cater for these tests and we have 900 PC's for 1400 students. All of our suites tend to be timetabled for lessons as we are a sixth form college and do a lot of vocational courses.

I don't mind creating additonal accounts etc - but we have facilities such as gaining access to your MyDocuments from home that will need to be disabled!

I think in theory in sounds easy to setup but as every school is different I would very much doubt an exam board will come up with a solution as it will suit some schools more so than others.

Thank Post
    I forgot to add - the LMT fancied banks of netbooks for use with the controlled tests, but I am not too keen as we will ultimately have to support them. I've drawn up a list of Pro's and Con's and I think I have 2 cons for every pro.

Thank Post
    *resurrects thread*

How's the issue of controlled coursework progressed this term?

Just had a brainstorming session with the History dept about this and our conclusion was there are so many exploitable holes it's not even funny....

Vandalise a few Wikipedia pages the night before, pasting disconnected notes for your coursework, (maybe rot13'd to prevent plagurism software parsing it as you copying wikipedia) and then use the "view previous version" option on Wikipedia to grab your notes.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    our conclusion was there are so many exploitable holes it's not even funny....
    Not to mention the far less technical option of simply writing it at home and then memorising it. I know a teacher who put this to someone at the exam board to be told "well, if they're able to do that, so much the better for them". Hmm.

Thank Post
    One of our applied Business exams is a bit like this.
    I time restricted/computer restricted the locked down accounts and then they had a week to do it during set times.
    However...
    I can't begin to explain how much of a pain it is/was especially when people are off sick! The best recomendation is to change exam board to one where you don't have to do it. (I think we may be looking at that!)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12