+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 22 of 22
How do you do....it? Thread, FIRESTARTER in Technical; Isn't it illegal if they use more than 5% of the song? I doubt the word bitch would use more ...
  1. #16

    Hightower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cloud 9
    Posts
    4,920
    Thank Post
    494
    Thanked 690 Times in 444 Posts
    Rep Power
    242
    Isn't it illegal if they use more than 5% of the song? I doubt the word bitch would use more than 5% of the song.

  2. #17
    Diello's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Kent, England
    Posts
    1,067
    Thank Post
    118
    Thanked 228 Times in 128 Posts
    Rep Power
    75
    ..that would mean they were using 95% of the original song.

    Think we need a legal expert here.

    Hobby horse of mine I'm afraid - staff here:
    Teacher: Can I borrow the full version of Office to put on my home PC, it's expensive.
    Me: No, we're not licensed, it'd be illegal.
    Teacher: But no one would know.

    They don't quite understand that that's not the point!

  3. #18

    Domino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bromley
    Posts
    4,126
    Thank Post
    217
    Thanked 1,353 Times in 826 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    528
    I'd almost certainly expect it to be illegal - as you're modifying intelluctual property held under copyright, you'd need the copyright holders consent.

    The other question is where did the track come from....

  4. #19

    JJonas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Walsham, Norfolk
    Posts
    3,207
    Thank Post
    418
    Thanked 450 Times in 335 Posts
    Rep Power
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by Diello View Post
    ..that would mean they were using 95% of the original song.
    in that case maybe they should use Smack my bitch up once edited there would probably be less than 5% left

  5. #20

    Hightower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cloud 9
    Posts
    4,920
    Thank Post
    494
    Thanked 690 Times in 444 Posts
    Rep Power
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by Diello View Post
    ..that would mean they were using 95% of the original song.
    Take a look at my earlier post - it sounds to me like he just wants the 'Bitch' part. Which would be less than 5%

  6. #21

    Domino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bromley
    Posts
    4,126
    Thank Post
    217
    Thanked 1,353 Times in 826 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    528
    no, he wants to remove the word 'bitch' - which although you only change 5%, you're actually using the other 95%

  7. #22


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,414
    Thank Post
    184
    Thanked 356 Times in 285 Posts
    Rep Power
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    in that case maybe they should use Smack my bitch up once edited there would probably be less than 5% left
    lmao

    Quote Originally Posted by Diello View Post
    Not sure that makes it right. "Yes, it's illegal, but as long as you don't get caught it's OK".

    As a professional board, not sure we should be encouraging that sort of behaviour.
    This isnt a dig and of course we shouldnt be seen to encourage it but;

    Have you ever owned a walkman? A minidisc player? An mp3 player? Where did you get the music from to put on them? Vinyl, CDs, the radio etc? Never transfered a video to DVD? Well thats illegal or atleast was (they may have slackened them rules, im not sure). I dare say there are very few people who can say they have never done, or benifitted from, any of them things.
    Point is i wasnt saying "just dont get caught". Some things are illegal but are socially acceptable to do.
    Last edited by j17sparky; 7th November 2008 at 06:20 PM.



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •