+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Music/Movies in Technical; Not so much a 'How do you do... it?' but more a 'What do you do about... it?' I am ...

Thank Post

Music/Movies

Not so much a 'How do you do... it?' but more a 'What do you do about... it?'

I am noticing both staff and students making more use of the space they are provided with on my SAN. I to frequently hear 'I don't have time to sort that out at the moment, can you just give me more space?'.. Well, I like the weekly full backup to finish before start of play Monday morning... and well.. that just isn't happening.

So further investigation in to just what is taking up all of this space it is apparent more staff/students are storing dvdrips/mp3s ripped directly from a dvd/cd - although admittedly not exclusively down to this problem.

I have spoken with my LEA for advice on storage of movies/mp3s, two months later I am still awaiting a response. I have emailed Becta for guidance, similarly, two months later I am still waiting on a response.

Chaps/Chapettes, where do we stand from a legal standpoint?
    How do you personally deal with this problem? You allow them as much storage space as they wish, regardless of how it is used? You have a strict policy against rips of movies/ripped cds stored on the network?
    I look forward to your responses!

Thank Post
    I use the delete key, seems to work well.

Any DVDrip of a standard film is illegal, being in education this is slightly overlooked still, but without having an original boxed copy of the original film stored somewhere within the school any dvdrip should be deleted as soon as it is noticed. If any member of staff/student comes to complain just tell them it is illegal and they will quickly walk away.

Thank Post
    In this situation I usually just delete them. They (staff and pupils) rarely have the nerve to come and ask you to restore them, as they know damn well they aren't allowed to have them in their network shares.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    Not so much a 'How do you do... it?' but more a 'What do you do about... it?'

I am noticing both staff and students making more use of the space they are provided with on my SAN. I to frequently hear 'I don't have time to sort that out at the moment, can you just give me more space?'.. Well, I like the weekly full backup to finish before start of play Monday morning... and well.. that just isn't happening.

So further investigation in to just what is taking up all of this space it is apparent more staff/students are storing dvdrips/mp3s ripped directly from a dvd/cd - although admittedly not exclusively down to this problem.

I have spoken with my LEA for advice on storage of movies/mp3s, two months later I am still awaiting a response. I have emailed Becta for guidance, similarly, two months later I am still waiting on a response.

Chaps/Chapettes, where do we stand from a legal standpoint?
    How do you personally deal with this problem? You allow them as much storage space as they wish, regardless of how it is used? You have a strict policy against rips of movies/ripped cds stored on the network?
    I look forward to your responses!
    Do you have an AUP in place telling the users that this sort of activity is not allowed?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcdermott View Post
    Any DVDrip of a standard film is illegal, being in education this is slightly overlooked still,
    Rips yes; but it could be legal if recorded "off air" for use in the school if you have an ERA licence. It doesn't have to be recorded on site either, staff could do it at home, provided it is intended for school use.

Thank Post
    Our AUP is incredibly vague and even I (as the network manager) have not been permitted to contribute toward it. It is very vague, but it does mention responsibility for any content and anything illegal would be removed etc.

Thank Post
    One thing I considered implimenting at a school was setting up a folder within each users home directory which isn't backed up or at least isn't backed up during regular term time backups or could even be redirected to a large/cheap nas drive... the school was in a similar position with backups increasing by 10gb per week on average.

At least then only the important data is being backed up... I'm not going to lose any sleep if Mrs X's family photos are lost due to server failure when she knows that they're technically not supposed to be there.

What really didn't help was one of their senior management team having a backup of their 80gb portable hard drive on the server lol

Also if they haven't got the time to sort out their data I'd just delete it on the basis that you don't have time to prove whether it's legal or not.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamman960 View Post
    Also if they haven't got the time to sort out their data I'd just delete it on the basis that you don't have time to prove whether it's legal or not.
    Oh I do like this!

I have at least given my line manager (and his line manager) notice of my intent to delete all of this sort of content by the end of the month.

Thank you all for your replies.
    Last edited by itwasntme; 7th November 2008 at 10:28 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread