+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Printer Distribution in school in Technical; Again, another dodgy subject description. What i mean is, how many printers do you have and how are they shared ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Printer Distribution in school

Again, another dodgy subject description.

What i mean is, how many printers do you have and how are they shared between classes, if at all?

I'm in a primary school where they do a lot of printing. Apart from obviously having them in our little ICT suites, each classroom has at least one computer and one laptop. Most classrooms had/have a manky deskjet each. But they're getting old, and im sure at some point it isnt going to be easy to get cartridges (if we can at all!).

I've just been browsing though a dabs magazine and noticed that laser printers are getting cheaper, which started the cogs in my brain and was wondering how easy it would be for me to have a printer for each workgroup.

How do you do it?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One of my primary schools has the obligitory manky colour inkjet in each class - which the teachers refuse to do without - and a central colour laser along with a central black and white laser. This school also gets through several achers of rainforest a day as they desperatly try to print out the whole internet. There are about three classroom computers and a staff laptop in each room which all share that rooms printer.

Another of the primaries has networked black and white laser printers split one between two classrooms along with a centralised colour and centralised black and white laser in its ICT suite. This school has two to three computers plus the staff laptop in each room and both schools have around 20 classrooms.

I share out the printers by using a VBS logon script that detects which groups the user belongs to and then maps the appropriate printers for that group, this allow the teachers and students of each room to be chucked into the room specific group.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 10th October 2008 at 03:49 PM. Reason: More information

Thank Post
    I work in a 2 form entry primary + nursery and ours is set out as follows

> KS1 ICT suite (15 PC's) has a network'd colour laser

> Nursery (seperate building) has a networked colour laser

> 60 laptops spread accross 4 trolleys - each set of 30 laptops have access to a networked black and white laser which are located ontop of 2 of the laptop trolleys

> Every classroom has at least 3 PC's and 1 teachers laptop

> Every computer in the school is also connected to the colour photocopier and the black and white photocopier so they act as printers too.

> Offices, head etc all have their own networked laser printer

I did away with all the deskjets when i got here 4 years ago.. Didnt give them a choice just took them away one summer holiday.. Only a few people noticed.. I still get asked where there little printers have gone 4 years later :S

Thank Post
    Networked BW laser in Lab1
    Networked BW laser in Lab2
    Networked BW laser in KS2 area
    Networked BW laser in KS3 area
    Networked BW laser in Teaching shared resource room
    Networked Colour laser in Teaching shared resource room
    Networked BW laser in Admin
    Networked BW laser in Bursar
    Networked BW laser in Head

No printers in classrooms, 1 whiteboard computer and minimum of 2 thin clients in each.

I use a vbs script on logon that clears all printers and assigns a set of printers based on location:

Lab 1: assigned Lab1 BW and Staff Colour (students don't have print rights to the colour so the assignment silently fails and they just get BW laser).

Lab 2: assigned Lab2 BW and Staff colour.

Thank Post
    We have 3 HP Colour LaserJet 2605dn printers, 1 in the ICT Suite, 1 in key stage 1 and the other in key stage 2. Between them, there are 60 computers and 10 laptops. The Haed, Deputy Head and Office, each have their own networked printers.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts
    We have 42 various size laserjet printers those in the IT suites have mono and colour shared printers with subject depts have a shared printer usually mono as they all have access to the colour printers in the ICT suites.
    All Admin have their own shared printers mono and colour if they need colour.
    The subject depts and Admin pay for their own toners out of their finance budgets but ICT comes out of my budget they order through me as bulk orders which we get discount on.
    colour printers are as follows:
    HP4600n
    HP4650n
    HP4700n
    A3 printers colour for art and technology Kyocera FS8008n and Kyocera FS8025n
    Mono printers are as follows:
    HP4100n
    HP4200n
    HP4250n
    HP1320n
    HP2015n
    HP1100

Hoping to get reprographics on-line so teachers can just print from home to the photocopiers and the cost is automatically taken out of their budget allowance for the student handouts.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    Hoping to get reprographics on-line so teachers can just print from home to the photocopiers and the cost is automatically taken out of their budget allowance for the student handouts.
    ooohh fancy....

Thank Post
    I work for x2 2 form entry primarys

Both of these has inkjest in each classroom when i started

This changed to networked lasers

Now its changing again to networked photoscopiers and lasers in the offices

One of the schools is going to print to 1 colour copier apart from office staff have a HP laser for backup

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We have mostly laserjets now, with a few photocopiers.

Any room with a decent amount of machines in has a Laserjet P2015n
    Most offices have a P2015n too.
    The 'admin' office has a beefy LaserJet P3005x in it
    There's a Colour LaserJet 5500 in Technology.
    Art is still relying on a cruddy A3 inkjet. As is textiles.
    The library has a colour photocopier
    The staffroom has a b/w photocopier
    Repographics have a b/w and a colour photocopier.

Generally though we're trying to get rid of the rest of the inkjets and anything dangling off the back of a PC.

Thank Post
    If any of you want it, I have a script which assigns a printer per machine, rather than per user, so you only have to run it once and the printer is permanently installed for any user of that machine.

We have ditched all non networked printers, even if it is in an office for a single user so we can monitor them easily. Nothing impresses teachers more than if you turn up with a toner before they've even realised their printer has run out!
    Last edited by teejay; 10th October 2008 at 04:40 PM.

Thank Post
    I'm in a secondary, and we have one colour and one B/W printer per department, unless the department is particularly small like French, where they just have a B/W laser printer.

All our ICT rooms have a B/W laser printer, with 2 colour ones available between the 4 of them. There is a Fast Xerox B/W laser printer in the staff room which all staff get mapped on their laptop, we prefer them to use this for printing, as it's very cheap to run. We also have a networked colour copier in the library, which acts as a colour printer for Admin and SMG, and a fast B/W laser printer in there as well. Most offices have a networked 2015 laser printer, apart from a few who have non-networked ones that were brought a long time before I started, so we're kinda stuck with them.

Printer allocation here is a bit poor, as like everything else there was no one rationalising it until I started, so teachers were ordering any old printer from their own budget, so we've ended up with a lot of different makes and models of inkjet printer learking around the building. However we don't support them and this was made perfectally clear when I started. IMO inkjet printers are totally un-suitable for a modern school environment, particulalry secondary schools where the sheer volume of stuff that gets printed continues to astound me!

Mike.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Allocation! thats the word i was looking for!

I hate the inkjets, gonna do my best to get rid of them. May do a reshuffle of the printers and then see what the situation is. Haven't thought to ask if our photocopiers are networkable...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    How do you do it?
    Printers. Uurrrg. Twitch. Shudder. We have random inkjet printers scattered liberally around the school. It's horrible. I have managed to at least mostly standardise on HP Business Inkjet series printers that all take the same cartridges (and have separate, replaceable print heads and can potentially be upgraded to be network capable). Unfortunately, HP have now discontinued the line, meaning we buy any new printers from eBay.

We have some shared laser printers. Unfortunately, our current print server is the cook's old home PC pressed into service - it only allows up to the Windows XP limit of 10 or so simultaneous network connections. I'll fix that just as soon as Microsoft sort their license system/server out and let me install more than one Windows VM on our Xen-based system...

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Well you did ask...

13 classroom primary with the following setup:

2 x HP L7780 (multifunctional printers with 600 sheet cap + duplexer)
    1 x HP K5400dtn (600 sheet capacity + duplexer)
    3 x HP K5400n (network only)
    2 x HP K8600dn (A3 format + duplexer)
    1 x RISO photocopier (nothing to do with me but it's there and network printer capable)

Early years (nursery, reception, yr1) each got a printer in their class (K5400n) for safety (ie: no children need to leave the room unsupervised)

the L7780's were put out in the 2 corridors (1 for early years and 1 or later years) while later years also got the K5400dtn in the corridor to provide extra capacity. The L7780's provide a simpler colour photocopying and scan to network (pdf output) function too which is getting a lot of use.

The K8600's are deployed with one in a staff workroom and the other in a public/child accessible area.

They are inkjet printers but every single one has a continuous ink supply system installed at a cost of £150 each (1 litre of ink comes with that). The down side is that there's a little user interaction required to reset the printers but cost per page is less than .5p.... and because they're shared (and the staff have had training!) printers they don't sit there idle so they don't clog.

Inkjets may be nasty for most folks but if you train the staff right and get a CIS in you're laughing and about £2k better off in the first year alone. Working well for us..

... as for the RISO.. yeah, ok it's cheaper than a laser but erm... That 11k contract?!!! Erm... wish they'd asked first.

Thank Post
    We have b/ laser in each computer room, usually a HP 4xxx or Brother HL 7050.
    The classrooms have nothing,unless the department have bought one, in which case they supply the ink, but I am in the process of removing single computers from classrooms, as they're useless for a class of 30.

We are also moving staff offices over to Brother HL 5270s.
    This is because we also started to give the staff access to print from their wireless laptops, and it made sense to put a printer within their base/office.

The only colour printers on the student network belong to Art, Tech and Languages.
    The only colour printers on the staff network belong to the Key Stage offices for the reports.

Some departments have inkjet colour printers, but I don't support them.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast