+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Positive ICT Rewards? in Technical; Our school has a new rewards system. The students build up stamps which allow them to buy things over the ...
    Thank Post

Positive ICT Rewards?

Our school has a new rewards system. The students build up stamps which allow them to buy things over the year, such as MP3 players, trips, etc.

I've been thinking that it would be nice to have the equivalent of game unlock codes for ICT. After students gained enough stamps they'd be able to, for example, set their own desktop wall paper. This would allow us to get involved in the scheme, while reinforcing the idea that ICT access is a privilege and not a right.

Does anyone have any other ideas, and ways to implement things so that it doesn't take too much time to administrate?

Other ideas I've though of:

• Email access: possibly allowing early access to external email if the student earned it.
    • VLE themes: allowing them to set a custom theme.

Is anyone doing anything similar?

Cheers,
    Duncan.

Thank Post
    It depends really upon how much time you have to spend on doing it as I can imagine tech's getting annoyed having to change access levels right left and centre when a student "does something good".

Unless you can automate it?

Feel free to offer email to the students as long as there is a bulletproof AUP that they sign otherwise it could give you more grief.

VLE themes, yeah, good idea, as long as your material doesn't get upset with a theme option.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    I really like this idea.

We operate something similar, the students get internal email, external email and internet access provided they behave - if they don't we remove those things. It would be interesting to reverse the process!
    Pretty easy to administer, we have groups for banned_users etc we manually add users to these groups. when a student is in banned_email then scripts run overnight to remove permissions.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,679 Times in 1,459 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What VLE are you using?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    What VLE are you using?
    We're (in the process of) using Moodle. I know that you can allow users (as a whole) the right to choose their theme from a list - I'm guessing that it wouldn't be too difficult to extend that to checking the role of the user to determine what themes to offer to the user?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    It depends really upon how much time you have to spend on doing it as I can imagine tech's getting annoyed having to change access levels right left and centre when a student "does something good".

Unless you can automate it?
    I need to double check, but I think the stamps are collected weekly and the quantities placed into SIMs. I could use SIMs reports to help automate the process.
    Last edited by duncane; 5th October 2008 at 01:34 PM.

Thank Post
    The students here get to go on a trip at the end of the year to a themepark for free if they achieve x amount of reward points.

Within the school each department has a MP3 player to give away to one student in each Key Stage each half term.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by duncane View Post
    We're (in the process of) using Moodle. I know that you can allow users (as a whole) the right to choose their theme from a list - I'm guessing that it wouldn't be too difficult to extend that to checking the role of the user to determine what themes to offer to the user?
    Our Zimbra lets users change their theme, I'd also be interested in knowing how to do this in moodle on a per user basis

I need to double check, but I think the stamps are collected weekly and the quantities placed into SIMs. I could use SIMs reports to help automate the process.
    We have MSSQL export 'views' of SIMS data to import into moodle, currently we import name, role,UUID,classes. it would be pretty easy to add another field. It might be an idea to mirror these field's into your LDAP so other non-moodle services can use the info.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread