+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Allocation of programs like RM Tutor etc. in Technical; not talking about the actual electronic allocation, but more how do you decide who actually gets this type of software ...

Thank Post

Allocation of programs like RM Tutor etc.

not talking about the actual electronic allocation, but more how do you decide who actually gets this type of software to use to exercise a bit more control over the computers.

We have groups of 30 laptops in most departments now, and a lot of people have expressed an interest in being able to have a little more control over what the kids are doing with the machines. We are licensed for RM tutor, but for some reason it's never been used in this school. Last Friday I installed it on my laptop to test, it works OK so I decide to give it to a teacher who has asked about using it. Gave them a quick 'how to' on using the software etc. and left them to it. (Thought I'd see how one person got on before deciding on rolling it out to others, just incase)

Head of ICT got wind of this, and also asked for the program to be installed on his Laptop. No problem there, I arranged for one of my technicians to install it for him. (Apparently he used to have it, but he got rid of it due to technical difficulties.)

The head of ICT now wants to talk to me about 'who gets RM tutor.' I'm pretty sure that he's going to be of the opinion that only ICT teachers should have the software. Now in my opinion all staff in charge of a large number of machines should have access to use this program. In our school, that would include almost everyone as we have a fair number of laptop cabinets. In my opinion the expected arguement that only ICT teachers should have this piece of software isn't really a valid one. As long as they have appropreate instruction on using it, so they don't lock out the entire school, I can't see the problem with all staff having access to it.

So What do you do? Does everyone have it, or do only the ICT teachers in your school have the 'priveledge' ? Any other thoughts?

Many thanks,

Mike.

Thank Post
    Anyone who wants it has it here, majority are ICT staff but to be honest, it's becoming rather popular now

Just make sure you have enough licenses ....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We installed the update so they only see their room and then we let any staff member have access and not really had any problem at all.

This is useful tool for all staff and many of ours found it useful.

Russell

Thank Post

Question RM Tutor and a roaming laptop

I apologise in advance if this is not the correct thread to post this to. I have been using RM Tutor 2 for some time now and it’s been a wonderful teaching tool, however at Christmas our LEA updated the school network system (run by RM). Since then RM Tutor has stopped working on my department’s laptop? Prior to Christmas I could take the laptop to other classrooms in the school, plug into a vacant network point, select the classroom I was in and monitor all the occupied (pupil only) workstations in that room. The network manager says he has no idea why this has happened and to be honest I think he has started to avoid me in the corridors. Any help at all would be much appreciated.
    Cheers Zander.

Thank Post
    Hi Zander,

What happens now?

Thank Post

Unhappy The Situation Now

I don’t know if the update that russdev is talking about has been applied or not but previous to the network upgrade at Christmas, I could use the laptop in any room that I was in by selecting that room when the laptop synchronised to the network at logon. When myself or a member of staff used a workstation based in that room no such choice was given we could only monitor the workstations being used in that room. Now our RM supplied laptop does not connect to RM Tutor at all. The program is still installed however all the options are greyed out. We don’t get administrator privileges in our school so we’ve never had access to the options in RM Tutor. A techy who used to work in the school told me that it was easy to setup in RM Console. Whereas all the workstations are setup in individual room folders the laptops should be setup in a separate folder called “NoRoom” or something that way RM Tutor will always ask which room you are in? However our present techy says this is not possible (or else he does not know or is unwilling to do it)
    If anyone has any experience of how to set this up in RM Console again I would be really grateful
    Cheers Zander
    P.S. Sorry for the long post

Thank Post
    Are you using Tutor 2 or Tutor 3? I could never get Tutor 3 to work as it picked up all workstations across the whole network - even with the relevant updates installed.

Thank Post

Tutor Version

We're using Tutor2.
    Cheers Zander

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread