+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, How many hours in Technical; Wasnt really sure where to post this, please correct me if its in the wrong place. At the school where ...

Thank Post

How many hours

Wasnt really sure where to post this, please correct me if its in the wrong place.

At the school where I work there is myself, I am the ICT Technician and the Head of ICT. I work a mere 10 hours a week zand the head of ICT is most of the time, well ummmgh teaching.

We have 1 x RM server, roughly 80-90 desktops (most are on the RM network), 30ish teacher laptops. 14-20 projectors and smartboards.

At the moment there is no helpdesk in place, no real organisation, no internal mail server, an okish website, no real intranet of use.
    I am responsible for pretty much anything IT, along with cleaning out the projectors etc, fixing computers etc, etc.
    A helpdesk needs to be developed, mail server needs to be setup, filtering needs to be looked at along with a whole host of other stuff.

I do a fair bit of work at home (I actually enjoy it) already but the list of jobs at the school is starting to get longer and longer and it is going to get to a crunch point at some time.

So my question is how many hours a week would some one need towork within reason to keep the above listed hardware up and running along with implementing new projects and running cables etc.

Note - dont get me wrong, love my job, wouldnt change it for another, just need to get things in prespective.

Cheers in advance.

2. Thanks to yabbadabba from:

speckytecky (28th September 2008)

Thank Post
    Some questions...

I'm sure you can turn a job managing all of that lot plus other IT-related stuff into a full-time position - but then it's also possible you can do the essentials over 3 days a week....so the answer to your question is, 'how long is a piece of string' basically.

The real question is whether your employers want you or need you to work more than your 10 hours, and whether they're going to pony up to pay for the extra hours as part of a new contract of employment

.....are you a student or are you one of these people who divvy up a full-time job supporting a number of primary schools, and you spend roughly 10 hours a week at each school ?

If you feel 10 hours is not enough to deal with the workload going forward then tell the ICT manager about it, and discuss with him or her what your options are. IF you don't come to an agreement with your empoyer about doing more hours then you'll just have to turn down jobs that aren't in your job description/contract of employment. And make this clear to the head or ICT manager.

The options for renegotiating your contract will centre on whether you can get paid and whether increased hours would fit in with any other commitments you have i.e college work........the time needed aspect, well only you can answer that as your the one managing your time. IF you find yourself taking several hours of work home due to not having enough time on site, then you either need to do more hours and get paid for doing those extra hours on-site or as i mentioned before don't do the stuff that's not in your original JD. There should be enough time in the day to do what it's in your JD unless the JD was drafted by an idiot or a fantasist [often the case sadly] it's the extra stuff that getting thrown your way that seems to be the probem.

Just don't forget you have employment rights.....you won't do yourself any favours if your too acommodating, at some point somethings gotta give....as you said best to head things off before it comes to a crunch.
    Last edited by torledo; 28th September 2008 at 05:54 AM.

Thank Post

RE: Hours

I would hazard a good guess at 20 hours a week needed at the school at least at the moment while so much needs to be setup.

RE Qoute "The real question is whether your employers want you or need you to work more than your 10 hours, and whether they're going to pony up to pay for the extra hours as part of a new contract of employment"

Well this is possibly one of the big problems, mostly to do with budgets etc. But at the end of the day that isnt my problem, I dont mean that to sound as harsh as it does

I have briefly covered the idea of more hours with my Head of ICT, I will put this into writing this week with an explanation of why etc.

My current situation is I only work at 1 school 10 hours a week, I do private work which actually brings in the money as well as being a college student.
    I am not rich but luckily money isnt the issue, its doing a good job for the school rather than scraping through all of the time.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by yabbadabba View Post

I do a fair bit of work at home (I actually enjoy it) already but the list of jobs at the school is starting to get longer and longer and it is going to get to a crunch point at some time.

So my question is how many hours a week would some one need towork within reason to keep the above listed hardware up and running along with implementing new projects and running cables etc.

Note - dont get me wrong, love my job, wouldnt change it for another, just need to get things in prespective.

Cheers in advance.
    Love the job or not they should be respecting you more as a person and paying you a realistic wage for the work you do. Every hour you freely give of your own time diminishes the return you get. As IT workers we don't get paid a shed load anyhow - less than cleaners when the chips are down not wishing to disparage cleaners and comparing what they do and what we can and do there is no comparison. They usually work very set hours with overtime carefully negotiated. Enjoyable as it might be and I'm sure we all freely give the extra hour or many working from home it's free and gratis to the school. Teachers on the other hand have PPA time and anyhow for the healthy wedge their contract gives them its part of the deal that some preparation and marking will be done in their not at work time. I'd certainly go along with the recommendation made by another EduGeeker that 20 hours would seem to be a reasonable amount of hours for the work you are doing and suggest that you ought to be telling them at least about the extra hours you currently put in for free.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Those of you who have read my thread 'too much work' know that I am in exactly the same position as yabbadabba (and about 6 miles down the road, too!). I have fought and fought for more hours but to no avail.
    I must say though, that I try not to do too much at home now, as my other half pointed out that, on 10 hours a week, an extra 2 hours a week is like getting a whole day extra out of a full time employee.
    I don't really have a very specific job description - it just basically states that I am responsible for all the computers and other IT equipment in the school so it is very difficult to state that anything 'isn't in my job description' and I suspect it is the same for the OP

In my case I reckon I could do a reasonable job on 15 hours a week, given that I have already sorted out the IT suites, server etc over the years so currently all is stable!

7. Thanks to witch from:

speckytecky (30th September 2008)

Thank Post
    i do 37 hours a week and i still cant get it all done. we do have over 200 computers though.

9. Thanks to majeeko from:

speckytecky (30th September 2008)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread