+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, different hardware for ghost in Technical; hi i have differnet hardware specs, is it possible to create one ghost image that will work on all my ...
    Thank Post

different hardware for ghost

hi

i have differnet hardware specs, is it possible to create one ghost image that will work on all my different hardware spec machines. I thought you could run somthing before ghosting the machine.

any ideas

Mark

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,679 Times in 1,459 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sysprep will do it on XP i think. I know Vista Sysprep will let you, does a very good job of it as well. Gatt has a Vista environment on mixed computers from one Vista image

Thank Post

drivers

If you use one image on different hardware you need to have all the drivers required stored in the image

check this out

How to use Sysprep with Ghost

Note*: You need to make sure you are using the Corporate version of Windows XP. If you are using a regular OEM copy of Windows you will have issues using SYSPREP. I believe after you SYSPREP an image twice it requires you to re-validate or something.

Note*: Make sure you do not install "Windows Genuine Advantage". If you have, remove it. Here are the instructions on how to... How to disable or uninstall the pilot version of Microsoft Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications for Windows XP

Okay, so lets get started..

1. Do a clean install of Windows XP.

I usually start building the image on my slowest model PC. I have found that this really does not matter as long you change the HAL to ACPI.
    Try to avoid installing any unnecessary drivers and make sure to utilize the ".inf" for the drivers that are required.
    Optional: I usually create a backup image right after I install windows. This saves me time if I have to start from scratch
    2. Change the HAL to ACPI.

Open the I386 folder located on your XP SP2 cd.
    Open the SP2.CAB.
    Extract halacpi.dll (not halaacpi.dll) to a temporary folder and rename it to hal.dll.
    Extract ntkrnlpa.exe and ntoskrnl.exe to the same temporary folder.
    Move all three files to the system32 folder under your windows directory. Say yes to replace files.
    Reboot

You have now switched your PC to ACPI!

3. Apply all critical patches released by Microsoft. Again, avoid installing Windows Genuine Advantage.

4. Create a configuration checklist and follow it.

Note*: One of the interesting features they added to XP SP2 is the fact that when you SYSPREP your image it will copy the local admin profile to the default profile. I have mixed feeling about this but I have made it work for me. There is a patch to get around it if you need it
    Here is a generic checklist. Add or remove details as needed...
    _Clear take a tour
    _Clear .net passport
    _Remove MSN Explorer
    _Remover Internet Messenger
    _Display Setting
    _1024 x 768
    _Windows Classic Theme
    _Set wall paper
    _Set screen Saver
    _Set power scheme
    _Disable hibernation
    _Set Taskbar settings
    _Set internet option
    _Empty Recycle Bin
    etc...
    5. Install and configure necessary software.

I try to document whatever I have installed in a change log. That way we can keep track of changes.
    6. Download the latest version of SYSPREP. You can find it at... Updated System Preparation tool for Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005

Extract "deploy.cab" to "C:\sysprep" on your image machine.

Thank Post
    We've done it here.
    We have a universal image that works on all of our workstations..

Thank Post
    I have a universal image that works on most things. You have to watch out for differing Hardware Abstraction Layers (HALs), as you can't change the HAL the image is for (at least not officially).

Thank Post
    as you can't change the HAL the image is for (at least not officially)
    You can change the HAL official or not it works. There is a line you include in sysprep.ini (UpdateUPHAL="APCIAPIC_MP,%windir%\inf\hal.inf") to update the HAL. The setting depends on which HAL you have imaged from and what HAL type PC it is going to. Do a search in goolge for UpdateHal+sysprep on how to include it in sysprep. The other advantage now with WDS is you can edit the sysprep image very quickly to cater for different HAL types.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jsnetman View Post
    You can change the HAL official or not it works. There is a line you include in sysprep.ini (UpdateUPHAL="APCIAPIC_MP,%windir%\inf\hal.inf") to update the HAL.
    Only within certain conditions, as the official advice states - and it does hold up in practice, as I've discovered. I spent months on this last year.

The other advantage now with WDS is you can edit the sysprep image very quickly to cater for different HAL types.
    Again, only within certain conditions: at install time, WDS will only show you images that correspond to the HAL type you are installing to - and this is based on the image file, not its contents. You have to hex edit the image file, which causes its own problems - for example, you can move from a multi-processor to a uni-processor, but not to a single processor.

8. Thanks to powdarrmonkey from:

ful56_uk (25th September 2008)

Thank Post
    Yep, very possible. I do it here. Laptops/desktops/servers all use it.

Install XP and apps as normal.
    Remove swap file (keeps ghost small)
    Go into device manager
    Right click "computer", update driver, select "I will choose" and set it to "Standard PC".

Let it do it's thing and reboot.

Then once done, extract and run sysprep, use the line above as suggested to make sysprep/xp do the HAL autodetect, and job jobbed. Ghost, deploy and smile.

I redid the "base" student/staff home image yesterday as a universal..took about an hour. Doddle.

If you'd like my sysprep inf, let me know and I'll paste the relevant bits in here.

10. Thanks to Sirbendy from:

ful56_uk (25th September 2008)

Thank Post
    thanks guys ill gvie this ago

Thank Post
    Only within certain conditions, as the official advice states - and it does hold up in practice, as I've discovered. I spent months on this last year.
    Thats why you choose the HAL type PC to image that is able to update to the new HAL

Again, only within certain conditions: at install time, WDS will only show you images that correspond to the HAL type you are installing to - and this is based on the image file, not its contents. You have to hex edit the image file, which causes its own problems - for example, you can move from a multi-processor to a uni-processor, but not to a single processor.
    No hex editors needed. All you do is change the UpdateHal line is sysprep.ini in the image using imagex to load your image.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jsnetman View Post
    No hex editors needed. All you do is change the UpdateHal line is sysprep.ini in the image using imagex to load your image.
    No, please read my post again more carefully.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread