+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
How do you do....it? Thread, NAS Backup Solution in Technical; I am running Raid 5 on mine and the write performance is unaceptible Hardware or software Raid ?...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    I am running Raid 5 on mine and the write performance is unaceptible
    Hardware or software Raid ?

Thank Post
    What is the spec of your NAS? What hardware have you used? Is it homebrew?

Thank Post
    Anyone?

Thank Post
    We have a Netgear 4tb nas sat in another part of the bulidling. We backup daily (full backup) to that and we have had no problems at all (touch wood).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    What is the spec of your NAS? What hardware have you used? Is it homebrew?
    Two [ well 4 freenas boxes in use where I am ] - I built the media server with 2 500 gig [ joined to make 1 TB ] drives and it uses its in built 100 meg ethernet connection. The PC is a generic-pc on Mobile AMD Athlon(tm) XP-M Processor 3000+ running at 1607 MHz.
    Its nothing fancy and works fine without a problem - the other one is the same and used to backup.

The other two freenas boxes are old RM1700's with two 250 drives in [ software mirroring ] one holds all my ghost images, the other is a dump box and FTP server... [ this has been up for 392 days ]
    Check out the crap spec of it, plus its using an oldver version of FreeBSD.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    Hmmm, I'm looking to build my own. I just want to know what others have used spec wise?

Which RAID card?
    What kind of motherboard/chip?
    How much memory?
    What PSU (will it take to power 4 HDD's?)

That should do it. If someone has 'been there' and 'done that' can you let me know what hardware you used?

Thank Post
    IMO you are much better off buying something like a Netgear ReadyNAS rather than building your own. You can buy a 2TB rack mounted device for < £1000 or a desktop model (13x22x20cm) for £800. Plug them in and they work hassle free out of the box.

You'll have a device used by many commercial organisations too. The school I worked at had one, on my recommendation. 20 mins after I'd unpacked it, we had full backups running. Out of the box, you can also use it to host iTunes and video media and there are lots of nice add-ons available.

Thank Post
    Thanks Mattx. That's the kind of info I'm looking for.

So we've covered a mobo and processor. How much RAM?

The other thing is, I'm looking for RAID 5 setup (hardware). Can anyone point me to a reasonably priced controller that works?

And last but not least - Can anyone point me to a case that can take 4 HDD's? (the smaller the better). I've been looking at the ShuttleX boxes but they only take 2.

Thank Post
    (I'm sorry, I keep posting one behind everyone!)

I've had a look at the readyNAS and the likes and TBH it doesn't appeal to me. I want something homebrew so that I can easily add on to it i.e. put more HDD space in it etc. I also want to use FreeNAS as the rsync app does exactly what I'm looking for.

Thank Post
    Anyone?
    I quite like the look of the white box supermicro servers...

Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Products | SuperServers

This is not an endorsment as i have never used their kit, but there seem to be a lot of options for building a storage based on budget and requirements.

I personally would stick two cheapish hardware raid controllers in a box, connect 4x250gb SATA disks to each, stipe across each set of 4 disks and then mirror between the controllers. You'd have to do the mirroring in software obvisouly. That way you've got in-box redundancy, and you could go down the cheap route of having non hot-swap disks. In fact you could probably do away with the raid cards and just get a mobo with onboard RAID
    that can do RAID 0, connect the 2 sets of disks to dedicated RAID channels and then mirror in the host OS (whether that be windows or freenas).
    Last edited by torledo; 19th September 2008 at 09:07 AM.

Thank Post
    There is only 256 in the boxes that hold the media stuff - i have no plans on up-dating the firmware on those. The min spec for updating the FreeNAS firmware is 192 meg. [ I think ]
    The box which has been up for over a year only has about 128 in !!

Thank Post
    Which RAID card?
    Sorry, busy, can't remember model of RAID card, but I remember a decent hardware RAID costs around £300. Cheaper than that and you might as well use software RAID.

What kind of motherboard/chip?
    Check eBay, it really is the best way to get model numbers of motherboards and an idea of prices, even if you don't actually buy stuff from there. You can now get motherboards with 8 to 10 SATA ports and two ethernet ports on-board (sorry, don't have a part number to hand, but I'm sure there's plenty out there).

How much memory?
    Might as well get 4GB of RAM, it's cheap these days. Get 6 500GB SATA drives (best price / size ratio) and set them up as two RAID 5 arrays. Might want to get two small SATA drives and maybe a RAID 1 card to boot the machine off (if budget is limited, just get the two small drives, boot off one and have the other as a spare).

What PSU (will it take to power 4 HDD's?)
    Again, can't remember model number, but around £100 for a PSU should cover it.

I like the Antec 900 "gaming" case - lots of room to stuff components in, big fans (plus blue glowing lights!). The cheap Dell server (currently on offer for £99 again, I think) will actually take four harddrives if you take the CD drive out - you can buy said server with two 250GB or 500GB drives for around £200, stuff a couple of extra drives in, done.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    After a bit of research I found all the hardware I need to do the job. It's pretty basic spec but should do. I found a decent case for £40 that holds up to 7 drives. I also found out that to power 4 drives and a mobo & raid card it will take about 250 watts max, so I've opted for a £40 400 watt PSU that has 4 sata connectors.

I think I'm about there now so thanks for everyones help - just got to get it ordered. All in all it's gonna cost £425 ex VAT for everything.

Thank Post
    Well all this talk of NAS - I just opened up this months PC Pro and on page 187 is a guide to setting up FreeNAS......

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12