+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Moving Equipment and Deliveries in Technical; Not really sure if this belongs here but here goes.... [rant] We are having problem with our site staff, especially ...

Thank Post

Moving Equipment and Deliveries

Not really sure if this belongs here but here goes....

[rant]

We are having problem with our site staff, especially when it comes to moving deliveries and equipment.

My question to everyone on here is this..

How do you guys manage this situation in your workplaces?
    Does anyone know of any ITIL or FITS recommendations or H and S issues, training needs etc, for the movement of equipment especially IT related items.

Our site staff believe that as we are a department of three blokes we should move our own stuff.
    I for one did not graduate from uni with a computer science degree, and hold multiple MCP certifications to move boxes, just because the under qualified site manager says so. No where in my job description does it state parcels are to be moved by us, it does however in theres state they are to move all goods in.

I leave this matter open for discussion

Thank you.

[/rant]

Thank Post
    I don't mind moving stuff. I'm not too good for it! I don't hold my nose above everyone elses who I believe to be 'below' me.

If it belongs to my department I'd prefer to move it, that way I know it hasn't been thrown about etc.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sorry if this sounds harsh, I'd move the boxes yourself, qualifications don't come into it, don't kick up a fuss because you've got some boxes to move, roll up your sleeves get a sack truck and move the boxes.

You do not "lord" it over people just because you have a degree and certifications, you get nowhere with that attitude.

Where ever you work you work as a team, if it means getting your hands dirty moving a few boxes, then sobeit.

Thank Post
    All depends on whether the site team are a bunch of t**** or not.

If they are, then it's only fair they should move the boxes. What would the world be like if the hod carrier turned round to the bricky and said 'you know what you can fetch your own bl**** bricks...that's right you can fetch the bricks and build that outside wall. We're off to play football with a bunch of rolled up socks.'

It'd be chaos i tell thee.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    All depends on whether the site team are a bunch of t**** or not.

If they are, then it's only fair they should move the boxes. What would the world be like if the hod carrier turned round to the bricky and said 'you know what you can fetch your own bl**** bricks...that's right you can fetch the bricks and build that outside wall. We're off to play football with a bunch of rolled up socks.'

It'd be chaos i tell thee.
    What I'm saying is the thinking behind it, qualifications and degrees do not exempt you from doing a bit of manual handling, not agreeing with the site staff here, however if someone came to me with that attitude I'd tell them to foxtrot oscar.

Thank Post
    When I started at the school I'm at now 12 weeks ago as NM, the 2 existing technicians were of the same opinion as yourself, that deliveries were handled by the site team, and not them. However I can't see any logical reason for this unless the item in question needs special handling etc. so they were quite surprised when I asked them to collect some boxes from reception in my second week there, so I talked them through my philosophy which is.

Just get on and do it. It's easier and a lot less hassle to do it yourself, the time you spend trying to track down the site guys, and then time you waste chasing them and arguing about it, you could have probably moved the delivery 5 times yourself. You also get to see the goods in yourself so you know what was delivered, and if anything is missing and get them moved to your preferd place of storage in the correct way insted of just dumped in your office or store room. ICT departments do generate a lot of deliveries, and the site team in most schools have enough to do as it is so are usually very grateful for you taking responsibilities for your own deliveries. You also win a few favours, so when you need some benching put up or something heavy moved that you can't do yourself, they are usually more willing to help you, at least in my experience wanyway.

As a side note, you'll find most contracts have the clause 'and any other reasonable tasks as instructed by the head teacher or line manager' or something simelar in. Given the job role and the amount of deliveries ICT deprtments tend to get, I'd say that it's not un-reasonable for us to be moving boxes.

Mike.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sycho666 View Post
    I for one did not graduate from uni with a computer science degree, and hold multiple MCP certifications to move boxes, just because the under qualified site manager says so.
    Are you serious?? With an attitude like that I'd make you move your own boxes too.

If we have small delivieries then I tend to just sort it out myself. If we have a whole load of stuff to shift, I'll ask the site staff to give me a hand and they are always very accomodating. I found out very early on that the site staff, caretakers and especially the site manager are the people you really need to keep sweet. Most teachers here don't seem to grasp that, and it's very much to their cost!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sycho666 View Post
    I for one did not graduate from uni with a computer science degree, and hold multiple MCP certifications to move boxes, just because the under qualified site manager says so.
    [/rant]
    You must be new? Nobody there cares what qualifications you have. That is irrelevant. ITIL does not cover moving boxes. H&S does cover it so you can ask for a risk assessment and steps to be taken to minimise harm eg use a trolley, have two people etc.

So you have several options, either convince management of the site staff that they should deliver items to your office/server room. Work together as a team to share the load, assisting each other, or find the most junior member of your team and make them do it

Thank Post
    We move all our own deliveries. Getting a trolley with wheels from the Premises Manager if they is a lot of boxes. As has been said, I'd much rather prefer either myself or the technicians move the items into their office so we can tick off the delivery notes and expensive equipment is not squashed etc if the Premises Manager and his assistant was to pile it on the trolley.

Its something we have always done and will continue to do, the Premises Manager has enough to do. Although he is in charge for portering deliveries to all other departments apart from Science, where their technicians deal with.

Thank Post
    Who ever see's the delivery first usually moves it

Thank Post
    You'll get nowhere with an attitude like, I used to go out of my way to help the site staff. At the end of the day you need them alot more than they need you and its bad enough with some teachers without alienated yourself from the rest of the schools staff.

Thank Post
    To be honest it depends on the person who is working. I have on occasion had boxes left in my room from some site staff, and others just ring me to let me know it had been delieverd to reception. I dont mind as others have said, if it is IT stuff you can check for damages before you move it.

If it requires 2 people to move it, it stays there until someone is free to help me move it.

The thing you have to remember is that you are employed as the expert in IT and therefore should now to be carefull when moving things, other staff may not be as considerate. Especially if you wind them up.

Personally I move all IT stuff, and give other people a hand when they need it. IT helps to work in a nicer environment if everyone helps each other out.

13. Thanks to penfold from:

mark (12th September 2008)

Thank Post
    "I for one did not graduate from uni with a computer science degree, and hold multiple MCP certifications to move boxes, just because the under qualified site manager says so"

I do not know how long you have been in your position, but I very much doubt you'll last much longer with that attitude. All support staff should help each other out. What you said sounds like it came from a teachers mouth.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    We take care of our own stuff most of the time otherwise the site team are very helpful and the site manager is a very good friend so don't have any issues with stuff.

He also knows to be careful with any ict stuff they do move.

I help out the site team where I can as well if they need it and also drill my own holes in walls etc...

Ben

Thank Post
    Deliveries here come to either the site manager or reception. They get sorted, we get informed of them, and then if he's passing, he'll drop them off. If we're passing his office first, we grab it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast